Corned Beef

by mrsjones5 98 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Last year I purchased a corned beef package from Trader Joes. I love corned beef but my husband didn't so I rarely cooked it for the family. But Trader Joes was passing out samples last year, I couldn't resist and hubby decided he liked it but I'm only to buy the corned beef from Trader Joes. Corned beef is seasonal at TJs and I've been waiting for a year. I just got it last night and I'm cooking it on Sunday. Can't wait. Hungry visitors are welcomed.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Do you make it with cabbage?

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Why is it called, corned beef?

• designs
    designs

Yummmm!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I love a good Reuben sandwich: corned beef, sauerkraut and mustard on a nice rye bread......

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" Do you make it with cabbage?"

Yup, and red potatoes boiled skinned and pan sautéed in butter until golden brown, and cooked baby carrots. My daughter loved it all and said it all tastes good together.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Corn beef! Hash! With scrambled eggs!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

That sounds good too N.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's called corned beef because of the meat is preserved with large grains or kernels of salt i.e. corns of salt. My son Joshua thought corn had something to do with it (he's pretty literal) and now won't have anything to do with it.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Why is it called, corned beef?

Supposedly because the rock salt used to cure it has the same shape and size as kernals of corn.

There is no actual corn involved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit