Something I never realized or thought of before: Discreet vs Discrete

by poopsiecakes 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

So my whole life I heard the phrase 'faithful and discrete slave' and never paid attention to the real meaning of "discrete". Which is weird, because I'm a bit of a word junkie. I guess the familiarity of the expression made me mentally gloss over it somehow. *facepalm*

discreet adj. Showing discernment or judgement in the guidance of one’s own speech and action; judicious, prudent, circumspect, cautious; often esp. that can be silent when speech would be inconvenient.

discrete adj. Separate, detached from others, individually distinct. Opposed to continuous.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/the-difference-between-discreet-and-discrete/

So where this online dictionary says 'opposed to continuous', another one says 'consisting of disctinct or unconnected elements; noncontinuous'.
    Had I realized the distinction between the two words before, I think I would have wondered why the 'slave class' is noncontinuous and unconnected as opposed to being prudent and cautious - which was what I thought the 'slave class' was supposed to be.

Does anyone else think this is weird or is it just me?

• yknot
    yknot

We use 'Discreet' in the FDS

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Well, in case anyone was wondering - I've officially lost my mind and here's PROOF!!

Thanks, Ynot

*major facepalm* lol - please ignore me

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

STOP THINKING "they" say that's the problem...

Sw

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Good catch, Poopsie! The difference has never even crossed my mind. Sheds whole new meaning on the term.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The Watchtower uses Discreet. Thanks for the thread though, since I have occasionally used the incorrect form and never noticed.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I've know there is a difference for decades. My problem is recalling the details. I have to want to use the word a lot to justify a trip to a dictionary.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am a terrible pedant, so I was aware that , despite the etymology, they are in effect ,two different words.

It sticks out like a sore wotsit to me when anyone writes the wrong word, which only really matters if you are writing to a JW audience, get something like that wrong and they will focus on that, not your message, so if ever we are producing stuff we want them to read, it is important to get it right.

• talesin
    talesin

@ Phizzy... I tend towards being a member of the grammar police myself , but stifle it in this forum, so I hear ya!

tal

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I'm still embarrassed lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit