Something I never realized or thought of before: Discreet vs Discrete

by poopsiecakes 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

I thought it was really cute, and made me want to give you a big hug.

((((POOPSIE))))

lol with love,

tammy

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I'm still embarrassed lol

Actually, it was Wibble. But you will have to put it on Wibble yourself. I will not.

• Open mind
    Open mind

The way I remember the difference is that in the word that means "separate" (discrete) the "e"s are separated.

I only knew the difference because way back in the days of dinosaurs and cassette tape decks, I paid a boat load of money for a "3 head, discrete, tape deck". Supposedly having the play, record and erase heads physically separated made for superior performance. So for the price of several hundred dollars, I learned the word "discrete". But spending that much on a tape deck was not "discreet".

OK, climbing down off my electronic nerd soap box now.

om

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Early books and magazines referred to the "faithful and wise servant", which was the KJV rendering. That servant, of course, was deemed to be none other than Charle Taze Russell (his wife Maria first applied it to him and, well, what could he say?) My guess is that the term changed to "faithful and discreet slave" when the NWT was published.

(edit)

The term was introduced as new light in the October 15, 1950 WT as part of an article praising the "more accurate" translation of the NWT. The article stated that "the facts show" the slave class had been promoted over ALL Christ's belongings in 1919. Not even an "evidently" there. Just the fcts, ma'am.

• agonus
    agonus

Actually "discrete" would be a more appropriate word to describe the GB since they've separated and elevated themselves above the R&F. They really aren't "discreet" at all.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Actually "discrete" would be a more appropriate word to describe the GB since they've separated and elevated themselves above the R&F. They really aren't "discreet" at all.

Well hell, ain't this the truth.

Thanks everyone, for not making too much fun of me. It must have been awfully tempting.

And thanks for the hug, Tec. I kinda needed that! :)

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Haaaaaaaa!!!! What a goof!

• james_woods
    james_woods

As stated - it was Wibble.

Are you cooking any corned beef, Beks?

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

LOL Beks - I wasn't even drunk when I started this thread.

Woods, it's wibble au gratin. :)

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Hey, add eggs and or cheese to damn near anything and it's good!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit