Facebook and employment interviews

by DaCheech 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

FB is almost useless to me. I write content with employers in mind. Most of what I write is of the inane Junior High school yearbook variety. It is so santitized that it lacks vibrancy.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I had a Facebook account, but deleted it. Not because of the JWs, but becuase of my own needs.

First, I didn't like hearing my relatives. Some of them are so petty & stupid, having inter-family fights on Facebook.

Second, I realized that everything posted under a real name . . . can and could be used against me one day. For instance, I post something ex-JW. Then, a potential employer can use it against me, thinking I am a flake, against religion, ready to quarrel with others, etc. Say, I post something really cute, like a picture of my dog. People will judge me by the type of dog I choose. A maltese or poodle, and I can't be a tough person. A pit bull, and I have to wear my testosterone at the end of a leash. A basset hound, and I'm lazy. Say, I post that I am sick. Then, an employer will think I have alot of sick days Say, I post something about going fishing on a weekday and I don't finish a project, then an employer or customer could use it against me! Say, I talk with a high school person who had a crush on me. While I am not getting divorced, divorce attorneys look at Facebook too.

For all of these reasons, I deleted my Facebook account. It's not so easy to delete your Facebook account. Google it. It took a few weeks to completely deactivate it.

Better to keep a journal or diary, the old fashioned way.

Skeeter

• rebel8
    rebel8

Where did you hear this? It sounds like an urban myth.

I always google potential candidates, so I see some FB info. It's irrational to ask someone for their password.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Some schools are demanding full access; they say it's to help maintain order.

Yeah right!

• TOTH
    TOTH

There should be SOMETHING in the privacy laws to protect people form this kind of shameless intrusion. Being in the IT field I can say that it is beyond unethical to ask ANYONE for a pw. If they want to find my fb profile, good luck trying. I have it set up to where the ONLY people who can search for me are friends. And I use an email address to login that no one knows. If they put the email address I submit on a job aplication they will find NOTHING. I would like to see the source of this topic because it sounds like an urban legend to me as well.

• biometrics
    biometrics

"There should be SOMETHING in the privacy laws to protect people form this kind of shameless intrusion"

How about not putting personal information online in the first place. Or at the very least don't use your legal name, and don't post pictures. That works for me. Never had an issue with privacy coming back to bite me.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I wonder how they would react to an applicant who claims not to have a facebook account? I honestly do not have any social networking accounts. This is the only site I post on, although I do have photobucket and flickr accounts that are set as completely private.

• nativenyr23
    nativenyr23

anyone with that Gestapo mentality is definitely NOT someone i would like to work for anyway. screw them!

• biometrics
    biometrics

anyone with that Gestapo mentality is definitely NOT someone i would like to work for anyway

Unfortunately for most JWs who leave, they have NO support network, NO/LITTLE education (if they followed WT instructions), and work experience in lower end jobs (window cleaning ... etc). In addition they've been in a cult that thrives on control. So a lot of ex-JWs are at the mercy of "Gestapo" employers till they get their life sorted out.

• biometrics
    biometrics

Personally if an employer asked me that, I'd ask for their bank login so I can see if they have enough to pay me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit