Facebook and employment interviews

by DaCheech 38 Replies latest jw friends

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

listening to this in the news got me infuriated!

there is a growing trend that employment interviewers are asking for facebook profile with login password.

they are looking into everything you post.

there is no law in the books to prevent this!

Even though I'm self employed, I think this goes beyond what's required of hirees!

whadda think?

• baltar447
    baltar447

I know its ridiculous. I'm self employed too. It should be illegal to ask you for a password, that's like having your drop your drawers so they can take a peek at ur naughty bits!

• factfinder
    factfinder

I don't post anything that is really personal on Fb but there is no way I will give my password to any emplyer who is interviewing me.

I am FB friends already with my current and several former managers.

But no stranger is getting my password!

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Totally unethical to hand over passwords. I can understand if they look at someone's online footprint to see what they're saying or doing that can be acessed by the public but no way should they demand to something private.

That's like asking to hear private conversation between family members. Violation of privacy on soooo many levels.

I can understand it if you're working for government on sensitive issues. I had to hand over access to all my private bank accounts - they could monitor all of my transactions but it went with the territory. Any future employer asked me for private stuff like that without good reason I simply wouldn't consider working for them. Not a chance. I may as well go work in bethel.

mmxiv

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I know employers sometimes look up FB pages when screening potential employees, but I've never heard of this. I would refuse. I would also report them to FB and get their own accounts deleted, because they are violating FB terms of use by soliciting passwords.

I've been looking for work for several months now, but I'm still not desperate enough to accept an offer from someone who tried to solicit my username and password.

Since I'm a network administrator, I would probably ask them how they would feel if I gave out their administrative passwords to every asswipe that asked for it.

W

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

the problem with this is that people interviewing for jobs are vulnerable for employment, so I'm sure they will agree to it

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Recon it's an ethical test? If you don't protect your own passwords - how will you care for theirs?

mmxiv

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Recon it's an ethical test? If you don't protect your own passwords - how will you care for theirs?

That's the only legitimate reason for such a question. In the past I've refused to give admin passwords to company directors. I told them if they want it they should speak to my director.

W

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Yep, I heard about this too. I don't know personally any companies that are doing this though. I believe it's unethical. But I agree with DaCheech, these people are vulnerable.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I have also been told that my FB account was being monitored during a sensitive time. Again this was for a specific reason to avoid PR issues. It felt intrusive but at least I knew why and got a heads up about it.

mmxiv

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit