are jw the most dispised religion by the public?

by mP 28 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

Oh mouthy... It was not your fault you were duped by a cult. If you knew then, what you know now, it would have been totally different wouldn't it? You cannot blame yourself for not knowing. And I am sure in the end, her life was not ruined, because she still went ahead and married an 'unbeliever'. She couldn't have been too tainted. Sounds like she was an independent soul like here mother.

Another big hug for you mouthy...it is terrible carrying around guilt like that. The guilt belongs fairly and squarely on the WTS shoulders. Not yours. You did not purposely set out to ruin her life...they did.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Many do not like strangers coming to their door to discuss religion.

Bangalore

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

As someone who never was a dub (but has sympathy for those who were/are) I'm sorry to have to tell you this from my perspective in the UK.

Dubs who come to the door are generally regarded in the same light as the cold-callers who want you to switch energy-providers or try to sell you over-priced domestic goods. In other words, a nuisance to be dismissed politely (or not, depending on your mood). About the same level as 'harmless' e-mail spammers, not quite so bad as the West African spammers who want to give me £50m. About the same as flies/midges who pester you on a summer evening.

Dubs like to think that they are hated and persecuted but in fact the opposite of love is not hatred but apathy.

Most people I know are completely apathetic about Dubs. Those who know anything about them, or who have engaged with them (only to rapidly disengage when they realise Dubs still teach Adam was created about 6,000 years ago) tend to have bemused pity for them. Those who know nothing about them tend to lump them in with the other American weirdo religions they've seen on TV (Westboro Baptists, Mormons, First White Southern Baptist Latter Day Church of Mississippi, United Snake Handlers of West Virginia in The Name of the Nazarene, Reformed Disciples of the Holy Mount etc. etc.)

So no, the Dubs are not despised. At best they are tolerated with a bemused smile, probably politely because we are Brits, after all, but with as little understanding or interest as Buddhists who want to explain why their particular brand of Buddhism is best. Complete disinterest, in other words.

Sorry, Dubs, I'm not interested enough to hate, despise or persecute you.

PS: Edited to say I made up some of those weirdo religions - but I'm sure there are others just as weird I didn't think of.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Mouthy:

Grace - big hug to you. Not your fault, rather the fault of this wacko cult so many were ensnared by.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

20 years ago America was a Christian country and Jehovah is the God of the Bible and Christians.

So based on your opening paragraph I see no connection between youths poking fun at Jehovah

and Jw's being the most despised religion of the public.

Did you grow up in a kingdom hall and have a skewed view of America and the world?

I did but I escaped when I turned 31 and met and worked with a lot of Christians and Jehovah is the

name of the God of the bible, especially the old testament.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Grace:

You have a PM

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

In Finland, a survey made on religions, showedet that 4 per cent liked JWs. It was even included as an item I think in "Watching the World" in Awake.

The JWs commented it stating that they were going from house to house searching for those who liked them.... or something along that line...

• mP
    mP

@jaguar

my point about school was that the only religion used as to bother was jw. nobody cared about other religions. no cstholic or c of eng, muslim etc ever had their religion mention. sure kids will find stuff to bnother, that goes without saying, however it seems nobody cared zbout other religions.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

"Westbourgh Baptist Church" "Falun Gong" China "People's Temple" (still hated, deceased)"FLDS" "Aum Shinrinko" Japan-Asia Oregon's Rashneesh bagwoon (deceased)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit