JW Preaching Work Ends in 20th Century ?

by Scorpion 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Page 12 of the January 1,1989 WT original magazine paragraph 8 ends with the statement that the apostle Paul's missionary activity laid a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century."

(a subtle prophecy that 'the end' will come by the year 2000 A.D.)

This sentence is changed in the bound volume reprint to read "a work that would be completed in our day."

• Prisca
    Prisca

And that is why I refuse to throw out any of my loose magazines, in case they decide to edit other copies of their articles.

No doubt the original sentence was the thought of the writer of the article, but we know that all articles are supposed to be signed off by other members of the Writing Committee, so why wasn't it picked up?

• Gozz
    Gozz

I would really like to see the original copy of the Watchtower article. It is hard to think anyone would attempt to revise history. Scorpion, please, was there a statement to the effect that there was a change in the wording of that sentence in the bound volume? I've heard this kind of thing before, but since access to the original copies of the magazines is almost impossible, it has not been possible to confirm them. In fact I'm doing a compilation of such alleged attempts at revisionist reprinting, sequel to writing to the Society for an explanation. Does anyone know if it is against the law?

• amicus
    amicus

Gozz,
    Naw, it's not illegal. Unethical maybe, usually editing is limited to typo's. But in this case it can be based upon letter's or call's received. If you have touched upon too sensitive of a topic or just blew it, edit the orig.
    Remember when we could buy binders for our old mags. and the bound volumes weren't necessary? Isn't that economically feasible today? Sure, but they can't allow that today. It dosen't allow them to change the past. And they are very fond of rewriting their history.

• TR
    TR

Let's face it. The WTS has tripped up and stumbled on their own dumb-assed words for over a century. Everything from aluminum to Zion. They are prophet wannabees, which makes them false prophets in my book.

TR

• Gozz
    Gozz

Amicus,
    isn't it dangerous? I'm seeing a JW in field service talking about scriptural truth and honesty and all that and then someone shows that the Society's changed things without notice, as if they never happened...there should be a law about this; at least in the US. I mean, attaching an erratum statement or something; the bound volumes are supposed to be as the magazines were printed...The possible motives for such behaviour scares me...I'm at sea...My thoughts haunt me.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

At the risk of being redundant. I do believe Ray Franz makes quite a few references to this very thing, in his book, Crises of Conscience. It was disturbing to him to.
    Gozz I am with you. It is haunting.
    TW

• Gozz
    Gozz

Ironic. During one of the Watchtower studies last year someone mentioned Ray Franz and called him an apostate. Got on the Net and read about him: the TIME article, the reports as per what happened at Brooklyn, along with those flushed out with him, the methods and all...then I got a few little ideas; that among JWs, discent in thinking is a more serious 'sin' compared to other sins; that you become an apostate once you disagree with official teaching; that there's a little (little!) problem with 1914; then learned about all the other dates, 1874, 1918, 1925, 1975, (and now 2000); then the voting system at the top and a few others. I'm suffering from something similar to a Crisis of Conscience myself.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Gozz.
    The magazine article is authentic. I read it myself. One of the sisters at the hall keeps her old copies instead of getting a bound volume.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• TR
    TR

Gozz,

isn't it dangerous? I'm seeing a JW in field service talking about scriptural truth and honesty and all that and then someone shows that the Society's changed things without notice, as if they never happened...there should be a law about this; at least in the US.

This could fall under the catagory as "bait and switch", or false advertising. There are laws against this, and it's not just a household product and a few bucks or a lemon car at stake here. Maybe it's high time that some lawmakers looked into this matter.

TR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit