Have you tried a gluten-free diet?

by compound complex 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

May I ask why anyone would go gluten free if they do NOT have celiacs? Or restrict whole grains if they are not allergic?

It's just another fad, like the low carb, Atkins, Paleo...............and on and on and on.................................

Refined and processed foods are bad, no doubt about it. Otherwise, lean meat, whole grain, lowfat dairy, lots of veggies, fruit............................

I'm curious what inspired folks to try such restricted diets.

• talesin
    talesin

I can't digest grains - they rot in my stomach for about 2 days, then I throw them up. It's the grossest thing - takes like BM when you throw up. If I eat pasta in particular, I get pains so severe immediately I double over in pain (at least that's what happened the last time I had a couple of forkfuls, about 6 years ago.)

That's why I don't eat grains. And I'd like to say a special thank you to the medical profession for pumping my poor little child's body full of antibiotics and NSAIDS till I was vomiting blood, and for screwing up my digestive system for life.

btw: there is a big difference between a true allergy (hives, throat and eyes swell, and anaphylactic shock ensues) and food sensitivities, which cause various symptoms, such as nausea, loose bowels or constipation, and other symptoms.

tal

• talesin
    talesin

Ber, I am planning to see an ND when I get the funds together, maybe they will be able to help me introduce some healthy bacteria into my gut, and I may be able to eat more normally again. I wouldn't give up grains if I didn't have to. And the MDs have no answers for me,, NONE.

tal

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

If i eat gluten it won't kill me but if a little bit gets in i usually can tolerate it but if i start eating pizza or bread than i will have constant acid reflux so it's not celiac exactly but it's how sick do I want to be. I want to feel good w/o medications so I choose to be careful. It's true that sometimes waiters and waitresses get moody about it but it's my body and I'm trying to limit my gluten intake and still enjoy an evening out and we always tip well for extra consideraion.

• talesin
    talesin

nancy drew -- if you DO eat something with gluten, you may want to take some enzymes - check out your local drugstore. If gluten is not a huge issue for you, the enzymes will help with digestion on the occasional times you indulge.

Also, mango has enzymes that aid in digestion -- BIG TIME --- pineapple has them too, but less so. I try to keep mango in the house (you can buy it in frozen packages, and it's quite good), so that I can eat a chunk or two after meals.

tal

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, everyone, for some fascinating information!

I had no idea since I was using the term loosely. For me it's been mainly avoiding heaping plates of pasta with cheese and a pint of olive oil in addition to a few sammiches a day (Dagwood-style). Losing weight and getting 4 inches off the waistline has been great!

CoCo Still Eats Good!

• irondork
    irondork

Back in January the roommate and I took a long weekend trip to Tampa to see this guy perform at the Tampa theater. Here's his take on gluten.

http://youtu.be/FDh_cTOive8

• talesin
    talesin

CoCo Still Eats Good!

YAY!

tal

• AdaMakawee
  • Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Hi CoCo!

I have colitis and Candida together in my intestines. I have to cook ALL my own food (95% of it) because virtually everthing (all canned soups and some "fresh," all packaged foods and things you wouldn't imagine contain yeast extract). Anything over-fermented, even strong cheddar cheese, disrupts my stomach. I am allergic to most vegetables unless they are cooked, and most fruit with the exception of citrus (go figure). I am lactose intolerant and drink goat's milk (tastes much better than cow's milk!). More than one beer and I'm in trouble (yeast).

Most importantly, I take a good probiotic twice a day. If I hold to it, I am almost asymptomatic.

I got it from massive does of antibiotics during several operations years ago - killed all my bugs dead, even the good varmints.

So lately I've seen all the gluten-free foods appear (Even soy sauce!). I've been trying seveeral and they affect me about 50% of how they would normally... but the yeast factor still lurks. But mine is a litle more rare. There are a thousand variations on this theme. But it took me 4 years of double-blind testing to isolate the problem. Prescribed drugs (sulfazalene) did nothing at all.

I think the key is to listen to your body more than what people say. About 90% of people's advice on my health issues turn out to make my health actually much worse. I listen to my body, I get it down. Very consistent. But you have to be desperate enough to dso double-blind experiments, as you will do without your favorite foods for awhile.

peace!

Randy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit