Have you tried a gluten-free diet?

by compound complex 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, I am gluten free. Actually, I'm completely grain-free, no packaged foods, and use unpasteurized honey and maple syrup instead of sugar. I can eat like I have a hollow leg, and lost quite a bit of weight during the first couple of years. My energy level is better than when I was in my 20s, on my good days, heheh.

It's good to hear you're feeling better. You are missed.

tal

• darthfader
    darthfader

Originally, I went gluten free for about 2 weeks and felt much better. For the past 2 months, I have been running "Gluten reduced"... I still feel better, which I credit to the radical reduction of carbs. Im losing wheat weight at a nice slow clip without changing my lifestyle.

There is something to be said for radical carb reduction diets. Its funny, I used to crave baked goods to the point I would eat an entire row of oreos before I knew what hit me. Now I don't even care to eat one. In fact some of the baked goods I used to eat now overload my pallate and I can barely eat any of it.

• Emma
    Emma

I have Celiac Disease so must not eat any gluten. It's really not that difficult. I am a baker and can make just about anything (though I do buy packaged bread, Udi's). And I do feel lots better! There are a couple of brands of imported GF beer that are pretty good, just can't remember them right now.

• talesin
    talesin

I have to say I disagree that reducing carbs in one's diets is a healthy thing. Ketosis can cause liver damage.

Let's revise our definition of carbohydrate. Carbs are found in many other dietary sources besides wheat.

Beans are high in fibre and serve as a low-calorie/high protein source of carbohydrates. Fruits are also high in carbs (but too much fruit, with the exception of avocadoes, means too much sugar), as are some vegetables.

And let's not forget the super-food,,,, sweet potatoes! research, research, research

tal

• darthfader
    darthfader

Tal, I was eating way to much wheat in the form a baked goods and pasta etc.. When I say carb reduced... I meant carb reduced for me :)

cheers!

• talesin
    talesin

cheers, Darth! *clink* <===== that's actually a glass of juice (sure, sure), as we all know, liquor contains empty calories

And good on ya for getting rid of the white stuff - that's really an easy way to tell which carbs you wish to eliminate,,, potatoes, white rice, refined flour & sugar, etc.

I still get really strong cravings for toast (so help me, when I walk past a coffee shop and smell the toast, I feel like Homer Simpson ...mmmmm... toooaassst!) and really truly miss my pasta *weep, weep* and my most favorite food in the whole wide world --- 'ZA! I love pizza! It just about killed me when I worked as a pizza cook a couple of years ago. All those beautiful 'Zas, and I could have nary a one.

*sigh*

tal

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

i'm gluten free and fairly careful with what i eat. i've found some delicious gluten free cheese ravioli "what a treat".

• Diest
    Diest

Just so you know, when I was a server there was no group of people that were more of a pain in the ass than gluten free. If you have celiacs disease ill give you a pass. So many gluten free people would tell you they are gluten free then eat something that I knew contained gluten off another persons plate. They were fine.

• sir82
    sir82
    Gluten-free sounds hard. No bread, no beer??

There are bazillions of gluten-free breads and beers out there. Most of which is pretty decent, some of which is quite excellent.

really truly miss my pasta

Likewise there are plenty of gluten-free pastas.

Don't know if there are any near you, but stores like Earth Fare & Whole Foods would carry them.

• talesin
    talesin

sir82 -- I can't eat grains. That includes rice, corn, spelt, etc. etc. All the gluten-free pastas contain grains.

Thanks, though! :))

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit