I Was Offered A Bible Study By The Elders

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

2 elders, the COBE and his sidekick, a former Bethelite and a young MS (elder in waiting) stopped by my mom's home while I was visiting with her. They were very congenial and eventually asked me if I got invited to the Memorial and whether they could arrange a future visit with me and a possible study. I thanked them and told them I appreciated their invitation but that I was going to "pass at this time" but thanked them for their concern.

They recited a "wonderful experience" about a young man that was raised in the "Truth" but wanted out so he decided to go to Asia where he could not be found by Witnesses. As fate (Jehovah) would have it, he never got to Thailand and its neighboring countries. He was diverted to Japan and the first thing he saw was a Witness!!! OMG!!!!

The young man came back to Jehovah and his loving Organization, actually got baptized and is now happy in his life. (It was very touching).

They asked my mom if they could say a prayer before they left and cordially said goodbye to us.

So , do you think I should accept the study, or what??

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

For entertainment purposes maybe. But I wouldn't spend one more second listening to that BS

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

A Loving god would have had a JW standing there at the gate at LAX before he was to board his flight to Asia, have you been on one of those flights to Japan? OMG!!!

• popcorn_eater
    popcorn_eater

Assuming this isn't a trick question. If it was and I didn't pick up on it, feel free to make fun of me.

Well, you should do what your heart and intelligence tell you to do but I think most people on this forum would say H*LL NOOOOOOO! Absolutely not. Not unless you want to be sucked into a high-control organization that you will never be able to exit from gracefully. Not unless you like obeying. A lot. And giving up posting on JWN or any other sites like it. I don't know your back story (you post here a lot) but ... touching stories and nice people can be found elsewhere too, with less to sacrifice.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Yeah, accept the study and question the hell out of everything they say. Be relentless. In fact, make a list of all the ridiculous questions you've posted on JWN and pose them to the guy who studies with you.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Yes, yes! Accept the study! The great day is hours away!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

You`ve just been told a Bullshit Story,so you can learn about the Truth..

How could you possibly turn down a Bible Study,by JW`s "so willing" to lie to you?..

................. ...OUTLAW

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

take it Min, but lay down all sorts of crazy conditions

• Robert7
    Robert7

The more I hear urban legends (aka "experiences") the more I learn they are BS. This story either never happened, or it has so been changed as it's been told from person to person. What if the person 'returned' to avoid shunning by family, but still never believed? He is not 'happy with life'. What does this mean? I'm happy with life after leaving the JWs!

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Call their bullshit.

Accept the study and promise to get baptized and go into full-time ministry if they can corroborate the "wonderful experience".

And I mean corroborate not by telling you which CO told the story, but by finding the actual person and conducting a personal interview with him backed by passport stamps for said trip.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit