"Oh say can you see?"

by HintOfLime 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Just a curious question...

How many ex-JW's here have yet to perform a pledge of alliegance or sing the national anthem? Now that I think about it... after years of 'standing firm' and refusing to these things as a 'brainwashed babe' - even in my wiser years I haven't done them.

Do you feel any reistance toward doing so? Are you proud of your country? Or do you still 'stand in respect' for such things?

I'm just kind of curious... because even after 5 years, I have yet to be in a situation where it really came up (heh, I don't go to any ball games...). A recent TV show got me thinking about it though - and it is one of the few areas where I found a few of the old anti-social WT cobwebs in the attic.

- Lime

• rebel8
    rebel8

Go to a political committee meeting and say the Pledge*. Afterward, go to a ball game and sing the Anthem.

Cobwebs, cleaned.

*I suggest you try saying it in the original way it was written, (or the 1923 revision), both of which preserve your legal right to freedom from religion. I do.

• talesin
    talesin

Nope. I don't. I'm Canadian, just FYI.

Still, I think that nationalism or patriotism is just another form of worship,,, we are all part of the human race, and our nationality is nothing more than an accident of birth.

t

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I don't think I've been in that situation. I don't expect it to be hard though, because I wasn't born in and have sung the anthem and said the pledge more times than I can count. However I will say that it used to be much more common---which may be why I haven't been in that position yet.

NC

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    Still, I think that nationalism or patriotism is just another form of worship,,, we are all part of the human race, and our nationality is nothing more than an accident of birth.

That may be the point I'm looking for, personally. I stand for humans - faults and all. I stand for the evolved life on Earth - faults and all.

I want to see Earth's lifeforms including humans succede. I'd like to see us move past shallow social differences and onto bigger, more challenging things. To truely conqure - to understand our environment - to use and appreciate it to our full advantage instead of abusing and destroying it. To escape our current limitations, and face the next challenge.

Thanks talesin - I think my position is a bit clearer to me now.

- Lime

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I recite it when I take my son to his Cub Scouts meetings.

• finally awake
    finally awake

Saying the pledge or singing the anthem doesn't bother me anymore, but I don't really feel any great degree of patriotism. I feel a lot like Talesin on that subject.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have always felt like Talesin on the patriotism front. As to singing the Anthem, I live in the U.K and we have one of the worst in the world, turgid music and lyrics I really detest. Never mind God save the Queen, god save us from your followers.

I could never now sing it without a little bit of sick coming up in my mouth.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

When I was a kid, I used to wonder what a "Donserly light" was. I thought that it must have been some type of antique lamp or lighting device. I was such a Dork!

O-Oh saaay can you seeee, by theee Donserly light....

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I sing along to the anthem when I go to any game. It's electrifying and I like doing it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit