"Oh say can you see?"

by HintOfLime 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I've always loved our National Anthem, even when I was a JW. I have no problem with the pledge, either.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Growing up, my mother let us say the pledge and other patriotic songs at school b/c there were no Witness spies around. My father would have killed us but we kept the secret. This changed abruptly in 7th grade when a Witness girl was in my homeroom. If I wanted to see my friends in the orchestra perform on the same night as Ministry School, she was scathing. I told her to mind her own business. My mom said not to say the pledge or sing. It was sheer hell. I ended up in the principal's office as though I were a felon. Fortunately, there was a strong black power contingent at my school. They never saluted. The Board of Ed ruled no black power fist salutes or sitting in chairs. I was so grateful I had company. My mother was expelled from school at fourteen b/c of the flag salute issue.

After I left JW land, I wanted to be patriotic. Part of me still responds with contradictory thoughts. The text of the pledge and the anthem is ridiculous. Why should I have allegiance to a flag rather than a country. This country has had many right wing moments when freedom was not present. Slavery is the prime example. My great aunt was arrested and when to jail for doing field service. She was not a criminal. On the other hand, I am proud of the great things about the US. It was very awkward at first. I forced myself to do it. Over time it has become very natural. One of my favorite church services is the Sunday nearest July 4th. The whole parish sings national hymns that I learned in grade school.

• harleybear
    harleybear

I have no problem with either the pledge or the anthem. As a born in they were a big no no, but now that I am out I do both. One nation under God really should be one universe under God but I get the reason for the American pledge. The anthem is inspiring in spite of the fact the tune came from an old English pub tone. My vote for our nations anthem would have been American the Beautiful as it was written by an American and describes our country. I do consider myself patriotic but only in the sense that I have received many benifits and liberties being in this county and I am grateful.. I find it ironic that JW's bitch about the government, have their elite attitudes about patriotic issues and neutral matters, don't vote etc... and yet are the first in line to have their hand out for government provided services. ie. the freedom to go from door to door and not be hassled, law enforcement to keep them safe, firefighter who risk their lives to keep their silly little KH from burning down, good roads, clean water, welfare, food stamps, FREE schools, ......... and the list goes on and on. You bet I say the pledge and sing the anthem case I choose to be a part of the solution and not the problem. harley bear and ridin FREE!!!!

• talesin
    talesin

y/w Lime,, and it's nice to see we are communicating,,, sorry for our first encounter, it was quite the blow-up, and mostly my fault.

xo

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit