Reading Crisis of Conscience

by hubert 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

Maybe ask an innocent question along the lines of how she feels a decision should be made when a vote is cast. Does she feel a majority is 51% or 66%? If she says 51%, then slide in the comment... "Funny. The Watchtower's Governing Body goes with 66%."

My approach with my family was subtle, kind, but truthful. I made statements that were difficult for them to refute. Particularly bad for my folks was that their previous congregation has a known pedophile amongst them who is still in good standing. This does not sit well ... it's a thorn in the heart, mind, and soul. I said to my Father a few years back very softly and quietly.... "Dad, if pedophiles are in the congregations, then this is not God's Organization. And I am not interested in being a part of that." He put his head down. I am not sure if he was crying or just felt ashamed.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hubert said, "...I got a "stearn warning".....back off or lose us. So, I backed off. She knows where I'm coming from, unfortunately."

So it's pretty safe to say that she would throw out or burn CoC at this time.

If, at some future time, you are unsure about what they will do, it's worth the loss of even an expensive book to take a chance. My mother threw away CoC, but I would try again if I thought she might read some of it.

• Ding
    Ding

It takes courage for a JW to read CoC.

As others have said, the person has to be willing to face unpleasant truths that will shake up his or her worldview.

There's no magic formula for knowing when a person is ready to do this.

Here are some diagnostic questions that MIGHT help get a JW to think (no guarantees):

1. "If the WTS is not what it claims to be, would you want to know it?"

Obviously, the answer to this question should be yes. If it is, then they should be willing to read CoC to find out what Ray has to say. But a JW who is honest may admit to himself that he really would NOT want to know. If he or she truly cares about the truth, this response should eat away at him.

2. "Other people -- Catholics, Baptists, Muslims, atheists, etc. -- believe they have the truth. In order for him to realize he doesn't have the truth but is on the wrong path, he would first have to be willing to question and examine what he currently believes. What would you say to him to persuade him to set aside his fears and make such an examination?" After he gives you the answer, ask him, "Why should a person do that when you aren't willing to set aside YOUR fears and examine what YOU believe?"

The goal of this question is to get the JW to see that he is constantly asking other people to do something that he is unwilling to do himself. If he is a person of integrity, this should eat away at him as well.

3. "If Jehovah wanted to tell you that the WTS is not what it claims to be, what would He have to do to get through to you?"

The goal of this question is to get the JW to see that if he is being misled, his refusal to check things out prevents himself from ever finding it out.

As I said, none of these questions is magical.

None of them is guaranteed to work.

For many, the idea that they may be wrong is just too painful or frightening to contemplate.

• hubert
    hubert

Well, looks like I was looking for that "magic bullet" again. I'll just keep hoping for now.

Thanks for all the advice, friends.

Ding, these are keepers. Thanks.

Hubert

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

@ Ding,

I like those questions!

• garbonzo
    garbonzo

Hubert, I sent you a PM. =)

• moshe
    moshe

If your daughter can ever figure out that their is no paradise earth and she has to die like everyone else the grip that JWs have over her might be loosened enough for her to begin examining WT history and teachings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit