Reading Crisis of Conscience

by hubert 16 Replies latest jw friends

• hubert
    hubert

I've read it twice, and also "In search of Christian Freedom". However, I was never a J.W. That's probably why I wasn't "afraid" to read it.

My question, which has bothered me for years is...How do you get a j.w. to read Crisis of Conscience? At what point in time is "the best" time to ask them to read it?

My daughter and her hubby are involved with them, and that's why I am asking this. She won't respond to anything I tell her about the Watchtower Org., so I can't get through to her that way. I need to know when is the "right time".

Thanks.

Hubert

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Have you read either of Hassan's books?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I would love to give you an answer. My wife would be afraid of even a book that seemed to suggest something that is not in line with JW doctrine. I tried to put CRISIS in my mother's hand anonymously and she was afraid of the book just by the dust cover.

• hubert
    hubert

Yes, "leavingwt", I read Combating Mind Control and Releasing the Bonds, also. But even though, it's hard to figure out when the best time would be.

I know that if the j.w. starts to have doubts, that would probably be in "the best time" category, but I am curious if anyone found other situations where they were able to give the book to a j.w. and get them to read it, instead of throwing it away or burning it. I only have one copy, and I'd like to get it back if my daughter read it, in case I need it for another family member, so I don't want to have it thrown out.

Hubert

• finally awake
    finally awake

I don't honestly know how you get someone to open their eyes. I know that I was incredibly resistant to anything negative about the witlesses when I started studying. I sincerely hope that your daughter and son in law learn the truth about the truth and get free from the borg.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I would say 'identify a sore spot' and exploit that. Have them open up about an issue that they have. LISTEN to them, establish trust and rapport. Have regular interactions, invite then to activities that allow them to socialize with non-JWs.

Reading CoC is not the magic bullet. It can provide answers to their questions AFTER they've decided to allow themselves to indulge their doubts.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Also, you must remember that most JWs have irrational fears and phobias about "apostate" literature.

Hence, conversations about Mormons, and what fears and phobias that Mormons have (fear of apostate literature) can be helpful. If they can see that this is 'silly', it may start to create cognitive dissonance, which can lead to reflection.

• hubert
    hubert

"Hence, conversations about Mormons, and what fears and phobias that Mormons have (fear of apostate literature) can be helpful. If they can see that this is 'silly', it may start to create cognitive dissonance, which can lead to reflection".

Been there, done that, "Leavingwt". Didn't work. But, thanks for the advice.

I used to send her stuff about Mormons (that mirrored the W.T. stance) and all I got back was, "Dad, I know what you are trying to do". After that, I got a "stearn warning".....back off or lose us. So, I backed off. She knows where I'm coming from, unfortunately.

Hubert

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Hubert said, "...I got a "stearn warning".....back off or lose us. So, I backed off. She knows where I'm coming from, unfortunately."

You have planated seeds. It may take some time for them to grow. Getting someone out of a high control religion like Watchtower isn't quick.

In time they may develop doubts, or see something that isn't right in the organization, or otherwise detect a crack in Watchtower. When that time comes they will remember some of the information that you gave them, and will be ready for more.

Remember that the religion of JWs is a lifestyle. Strong friendships have developed. Rejecting the religion amounts to rejecting everything in their lives, including the only assosiates they have, something people will be reluctant to do.

I believe most JWs who have been in the organization for any length of time have doubts (if they are thinking at all), but the control of the religion is enough to over power them. As they get older they will see things more clearly, and at the same time will be more willing and able to take a stand for what is right.

You never know when the seeds will grow, but as you have seen it's best not to push too hard or you will alienate them. It's a balancing act, and it takes patience.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Sounds like she is happy as a JW. If this is so, she's very unlikely to leave. You can be a good father to her and offer her the unconditional love that he will not find in the organization. You can also be grateful that she doesn't shun you. I'm sorry that she's mixed up with this awful cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit