New Video - Jehovah's Witnesses and Higher Education

by sabastious 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious

Some musings about higher education, hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk_R11t3otw

-Sab

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Higher education comes with costs and benefits. The going into debt is the only reason I would strongly suggest caution: You do not want to be in debt when the big banks force you to default, so they can enslave you. Any endeavor that involves going in debt comes with that caution these days--especially since the crunch of 2008. If you are in the entertainment business or have your own business started, the opportunity cost of the time involved in getting a degree might also merit not going, or putting it off until your business is well established. Indeed, if you already have a successful business long before finishing high school, you may do well to not go to college--or even continue high school.

However, the vast majority of people are not in that category. How many 12 year olds have a successful business that is already making them millions (of silver dollars, just so hyperinflation will not skew the results)? If not, it is very wise to stay in high school with the goal of attending college if the debt is manageable. Debt is not an excuse if your education is paid for with savings, or you get a full scholarship or one that allows you a minimum of out of pocket expenses. And it is not necessary to find a job in your field for it to be worthwhile: Do you really want to live with your parents until you are past 30? If not, and you are not in a successful business or putting out hit records like Billy Joel and Kenny Loggins, I highly recommend at least looking at taking a few courses of college so you can gradually build credits. And if you are worried about the debt, then apprenticeship is a viable option.

• simon17
    simon17

Great post. The university issue is a bit regional, as in more wealthy areas its silently tolerated or even slightly encouraged by locals, though derided by travelling brothers, etc. But I know the further out you go into rural or middle-class areas, the more this starts to turn.

But the point at the end is a great one. THings like pant suits and beards and social networking and R-rated movies and on and on and on are all things that are not specifically banned. But the culture of negativity has changed our very perception of these things so that we naturally avoid them.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Sabastious,,good YouTube,,this college issue is one of my great petpeeves about the WTS,,the WTS stunts the growth of many and they get 'stuck' in jobs that can be very unfulfilling and low wages for too many.

The WTS don't have a clue on the reality costs for children, family housing, etc. Yet, the GB get all their needs provided by the JWs. They have no concern that way.

Thank you for your YouTube productions.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    THings like pant suits and beards and social networking and R-rated movies and on and on and on are all things that are not specifically banned. But the culture of negativity has changed our very perception of these things so that we naturally avoid them.

After I made the video I realized that I should have ended with just this point. The pages of the Watchtower and it's sister publications is what creates that culture. We were subject to the monotonous rederick of negativity our whole lives. That's the only way the Watchtower's archaic lifestyle has any appeal, if you just bash anything that competes with it. A strikingly survival of the fittest centric process.

-Sab

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Awesome comment by WTWizard.

I also have to be careful around my wife suggesting that WTS "bans" higher education. She immediately goes into defense mode and ignores all the current counsel to sum it up with their short-lived slogan of "education with a purpose" and then throws out how JW's need to be careful not to neglect the meetings and to be careful not to party with drugs and sex and other worldly stuff if they go to college.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

The last assembly I attended (2 years ago) had a dramatization about higher education . Two sisters went up. One was a Counselor and one a student not wanting to go to College. I will paraphrase as best as I can.

High School Counselor: ''Have a seat Karen and I will show you all the College applications I have for you.''

Sister: ''Thank you for all the work you have done.''

Counselor: '' I have an application from Harvard,one from Michigan University,and a couple from the East Coast.''

Sister: '' I have done alot of thinking and decided not to go to any College."

Counselor: ''Karen,you have a 4.0 grade average and scored very high on the A.C.T. and you would have no problem getting into any of these schools."

Sister: '' As you know,I'm a Jehovah's Witness and we believe that we are near the ''end times.'' I decided that I will go into the preaching work part time and maybe go to a 2 year school."

Counselor: ''You will probably get into these schools at almost no cost because of your 4.0 average and high A.C.T. scores and have a good career the rest of your life.These are great schools and will prepare you to land a good job.''

Sister: ''This world is passing by and may not be here any longer. I decided to enter the ministry work and Jehovah God will provide for me in the future."

Everyone applauded except me. That was really sad to see!

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Awesome comment by WTWizard.

I agree, it was incredibly sensible. I can tell he has spent a great deal on that train of thought. Thanks to WTW for it.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    The WTS don't have a clue on the reality costs for children, family housing, etc. Yet, the GB get all their needs provided by the JWs. They have no concern that way.

I have this peculiar memory of when I was about 14 years old. I was standing in front of a metal gate to our horse pasture with my father. My father and I were in the middle of some yard work and him and my uncle were having a brief chat. My uncle may have been stopping by from field service because I seem to remember him wearing a suit. I had a rake because of what my father and I were up to (it must have been a saturday). I have always been a fidgeter even to this very day. While I listened to them speak I decided to balance on the metal part of the rake and use the long handle for support. My uncle made a point to stop the conversation he was having and ridicule my childish behavior. I remember feeling quite hurt by his point to stop everything and it seemed to come out of no where. I had a lot of respect for my uncle.

In my adult years I have figured out what was actually going on. I was not allowed to be a kid while I was a kid. The way you get a kid to grow up early is you say that being a kid is wrong. That's how the Watchtower has their Society running. No kids allowed. Many Witnesses fight against this force, but they eventually just end up becoming apostates and knocking on the cold metal door and getting silence, like the rest of us.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Everyone applauded except me. That was really sad to see!

They are showing the people in the audience that the REAL best decision is to give up everything for them.

Matt 4: 8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’”

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit