Problematic JWs

by Celestial 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Celestial
    Celestial

Did you ever have a problem with one of Jehovah's Witnesses?

I always got along with everyone very well except for a couple of people. This experience was partly my fault. There was this really nice looking sister with an unbelieving husband who was an alcoholic at a congregation I attended. I think her husband's alcohol problem caused her anxiety and adversely affected her personality. She was flirtatious with brothers at the meeting and even offended some sisters with the way she acted. In my opinion, this was an outlet for a tumultuous relationship at home.

Once she asked me for my e-mail address to send me an information about a gathering she was having at her house. I couldn't attend, so I sent a friendly message back explaining I had other plans for the day. The correspondence gravitated away from formal discourse and into conversations about personal matters. She used the term co-dependent to describe her relationship with her husband.

Her interest in talking to me was mainly because she had a friend that was dating a brother she thought was 'bad association.' She was hoping someone else would come along that was more suitable for her friend. So, we all had dinner one night. Around this same time, she sent me an e-mail explaining that she needed to get away from her husband. Out of poor judgment, I mistakenly responded back with something inappropriate. When her husband acquired knowledge of the correspondence, I received a very nasty e-mail from him accusing me of stalking and harassing his family. He said, if I ever contacted anyone in his family by any means, he would take legal action against me. This was total BS, because every conversation we had was mutual and very friendly. I kept a record of the correspondence.

I just avoided this sister like a plague at the meetings. If she sat on one side of the Kingdom Hall, I sat on the other. Eight months later, I came to the meeting late and an attendant sat me right behind this sister. When she saw me, she gave me the dirtiest 'go to hell' look I've ever seen. I didn't know it at the time, but what had happened, is the sister she wanted me to hook up with got dumped by the the brother she thought was 'bad association' and her friend quit attending meetings. Like I remotely had anything to with that.

At the time, I didn’t know what her deal was. None-the-less, when I got home from the meeting, I e-mailed an apology. I thought to myself, what's the worst thing that can happen? They'll go to the police because I sent an e-mail? At best, any member of law enforcement will explain to them what the laws actually are and teach this couple how to use an e-mail filter.

At the next meeting, her husband showed up drunk and assaulted me in the parking lot and started a fist fight as I was walking to my car. He obviously wasn't thinking clearly, because he did this in front of several people. Had someone called the police, he would have been arrested for public intoxication and assault and battery. Some brothers broke up the fight and said this doesn't need to be going on here because this is Jehovah's house. The whole thing felt surreal because I hadn't been in a physical fight since I was sixteen, let alone at the Kingdom Hall.

The next day, the elders showed up at my house and asked me to attend another congregation. I disagreed and told them I wasn't going anywhere. This sister's husband attended the meetings for the next few weeks and apologized to me. There was also a local needs part during the next service meeting about not pressing charges against members of the congregation. The funny thing is that none of this would have happened if it wasn't for e-mail. You'd be surprised at the trouble text messaging has caused some people.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

JW's are drama queens. Try not to get caught up in anything related to their relationships or issues regarding them. ALWAYS keep them outside of your relationship.

Most of them are relationship killers IMO. Like kryptonite.

Because of their teachings and view of dating,courting and marriage, I think they do more harm than good.

Yes,yes.....I know from experience.

Some of my biggest headaches were from a friend and married brother emailing my gf - ex now - a little excessively IMO.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Celestial:

Did you ever have a problem with one of Jehovah's Witnesses?...

This experience was partly my fault. There was this really nice looking sister with an unbelieving husband who was an alcoholic at a congregation I attended.... Once she asked me for my e-mail address to send me information about a gathering she was having at her house....

When her husband acquired knowledge of the correspondence, I received a very nasty e-mail from him accusing me of stalking and harassing his family. He said, if I ever contacted anyone in his family by any means, he would take legal action against me. This was total BS, because every conversation we had was mutual and very friendly. I kept a record of the correspondence....

This sister's husband attended the meetings for the next few weeks and apologized to me.... The funny thing is that none of this would have happened if it wasn't for e-mail.

You didn't describe a problem with one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Your problem seemed to have been one that involved the husband of one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Let's forget the fact that this sister's husband isn't one of Jehovah's Witnesses. You do know that despite what his wife may have confided with you about his alcoholism or drinking problem, one, the fact is that you knew at the moment that this married woman had asked you for your email address that she was -- repeat after me -- a married woman.

It is said that hindsight is 20/20, and while this is so, we do not need to discuss what transpired later after this married woman's husband got wind of your email addressed to his wife. What needs to be discussed is what it was about this married woman that made you ignore what you knew her to be -- again -- a married woman. Let's just say for a moment that you might describe this sister as drop-dead gorgeous. Let's also say that this sister is married to one of the elders in your local congregation and you and everyone in the congregation knows that the two of you are friends.

Now there's really nothing wrong with the two of you being friends or being known by others to be friends, since when people know why the two of you seem to them to be so "chummy" with one another, even the husband will assuage the fears of those concerned that there might be some hanky-panky going on between a particular individual and his wife by telling them that you and she have a best-of-three chess rivalry with several of the friends, and not just with brothers, and that this brother always checks with him as to whether he's ok with the brother's coming over on whatever day he and his wife are planning about best-of-three. IOW, the brother is giving respect to the marriage arrangement.

If the brother is going to be away from the house when the other brother and his wife are planning to get together, the sister's husband is going to respect the marriage arrangement, and tell the brother that he and his wife will have to reschedule. If the brother is going to be away from the house when the other brother and his wife are planning to get together, and he says it's ok because he won't be gone for very long, the other brother should know that this reckless statement of his could lead to a damaged reputation, and should have instead told the brother that he would arrange with his wife to reschedule. But he doesn't do this.

What we have here is a reckless statement and a reckless liaison with a brother's wife at her home at a time when he knows the sister's husband will not be home, when all three of them are all supposed to know Jehovah, not to mention the potential of Bro. TellAllino and Sis GottaTell happening by during the hour or so that the brother is not at home, and being informed by his wife that he's expected home shortly, and despite their both being told that they can wait there until he gets home, neither of them want to wait since they now have some gossip to report the next time anyone should see you and this sister chatting one another up somewhere, and As the Kingdom Hall Turns eventually leads to a tap on the shoulder by an elder arising out of mounting speculation over appearances.

The marriage arrangement gives to the husband prerogatives that his wife does not have. One of these prerogatives is the headship principle, which assigns headship over his wife to the husband. This principle is in effect whether the husband of a wife is a believer or an unbeliever, so that if a wife should begin a Bible study at her home with one of her own children or with someone else when her husband is present, her husband should be the one to petition Jehovah in prayer, not the wife, but if her husband should be an unbeliever, then she should cover her head when offering prayer, which demonstrates respect for the marriage arrangement on her part and also silently informs her unbelieving husband every time she does so that she is doing this out of respect for his headship over her for a witness.

What you describe in your message is a failure on your part to respect the marriage arrangement because you gave your email address to the sister that requested it of you, knowing that she was married, when what you should have done is told the sister that you didn't feel comfortable encroaching upon the rights of another brother by inserting yourself into a situation that involves two other people that are dating one another. Dating is a prelude to marriage, and even though, as it turned out, these two people decided to end their courtship, you should have known that you were being asked to "run interference" between these two people because a third person -- this sister -- thought that one of them was bad association, so your willingness to help this sister run interference was to encroach upon the rights of another brother.

You know that giving to anyone your email address is no different than giving to someone your home telephone number or your cell phone number, except here we are talking about a written communication instead of oral communication, and you should have known that it was likely that the sister's unbelieving husband could get wind of and intercept any email messages that exchanged between you and his wife, so for what reason would you have thought it to have been ok for you to have disrespected the marriage arrangement in this way?

Let me digress here a moment to point out the fact that I did note your use of "BS" in your message, the abbreviation for "bullshit, but how can you conclude that the husband's email to you "was total BS," when you know that you never asked him what his feelings were about your giving his wife your email address? "BS" is a word that some use to describe behavior they believe to be unacceptable, but your use of it seems to me to be a synonym for "lies" or "nonsense," but in view of what Ephesians 4:29 says, wouldn't it be more appropriate to use one of these synonyms, rather than an obscenity? End of digression.

Clearly, you had no way of knowing exactly how this sister's husband would react to another man sending his wife emails, did you? The good thing is that you are alive, and he didn't just get out of Folsom State Prison here in California, having acquired clever ways after serving 20 years or so there to discard the bodies of men that he feels do not give to him the respect that he deserves. He also seems to have forgiven you your trespasses based on bad judgment and recklessness on your part, which you admit was "partly [your] fault," although I see this as being all your fault. The unbelieving husband of this sister was entitled to the same modicum of respect that you would give to a married brother if his wife had asked you for your email address, correct?

This is essentially what Jehovah's Witnesses speculate is going to be the way in which we will live in the earthly realm of God's kingdom during Judgment Day and beyond, and while no one that is disfellowshipped for wrongdoing on this side of Judgment Day are in jeopardy of losing their salvation (as seems to be the common wisdom of some here on JWN), since a disfellowshipped brother is not a disfellowshipped unbeliever and a reinstated brother is not rebaptized, but such misconduct during Judgment Day could result in judgment ("the second death"), so we really need to learn these things now.

Unlike the world that is alienated from Jehovah and doesn't know him, we do not respect the husband of a sister just because he is her husband, or just because he is a brother, but at all times it is our endeavor to respect the marriage arrangement. You do not need to be an elder to know these things, for elders are known to do stupid things, too, but what is needed is respect for sacred things, and the marriage arrangement is sacred.

@djeggnog

• cantleave
    cantleave

The idiot Eggy strikes again!!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    Did you ever have a problem with one of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Oh yes. And how. A possessive bunny boiling woman, and we are of the same sex and the same advanced age, but to this woman I belonged to her and was her own property!

Totally crazy, but behaviour fostered by the traditions of the WT system of door to door contacting people and then claiming them as one's own finds.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I had a big problem that could have been much bigger with one of them. The scumbag wanted me to move into an apartment complex he just got hired to manage. Good thing the rent was only 5 toilet papers lower than I had been paying, for a much longer trip to work in a bad neighborhood. Had I moved, aside from having him censor everything coming in, there is a pretty high chance that he wanted me with his 8-year-old nephew (there is evidence that he was trying to do this even before the move, but not enough to sue the pig or get him locked up).

Besides that rubbish, this scumbag always wanted to dominate everything I did. He had what amounted to a pseudo-Mosaic code that I was supposed to follow. Besides that, he wanted me to pious-sneer, and was going to make sure I joined that Value Destroyer Training School rubbish. Good thing he ran out of time before I got baptized, and that I never moved in that complex while he was managing it.

• truth_b_known
  • Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Plenty of issues over the years... And they were entirely with the "mentally unstable" ones. My mother was going to give a baby shower for my sister-in-law (she was studying at the time, my bro was DF'ed) and a sister volunteered her rather large home for it sinceour house was tiny. She KNEW the circumstances ahead of time! Another sister volunteered to help my mother get everything set up, as well as make an invitation list, etc. I was a kid at the time, so there wasn't much I could do, so these sisters swooped in to help my mother. BOTH these sisters were aware their names would be on the invitations as co-hosts to the party and as people to RSVP to.

Well, it turns out, there was another sister who was pregnant at the same time and was due around the same time. The sisters decided to get together and give her a shower (this was her second child, but there was a huge age gap between her kids). Lo and behold, they choose the SAME DATE for her shower. Okay, fine. The sister who offered her home came back to my mom and said "I've decided that you can't use my house...I'd rather go to my SISTER'S shower than a worldly persons!" My mom asked about perhaps changing the date. No dice. The sister said "I don't want a house full of worldly people!!!". Shows how much this ignorant twat listened. The only people invited were people in the congregation and JW family members. The only "wordly person" would have been my sister-in-law and she was studying! And my mom had told her this many times. This sister then called the elders and got them involved. My mother was pulled into the back room (I went, too...no way she was going it alone) and they told her this was disrupting the harmony of the congregation.

So, we decided to have it in our teeny house... The other sister was still on board with helping, so she said. So, we sent out the invitations. Apparently, some of the sisters who received their invites got their feathers ruffled that this sister was a part of all of this...so they called her up and squawked. She then called my mother, got all pissy, yelling at her for putting her name on the invitation and making it look like she was a part of this whole thing. She didn't show up to the shower, neither did a bunch of other people. We had about 8 people show up, most of whom were family and only a couple who were TRUE friends to my mother and wanted to show a spirit of true love to my sister-in-law. It still amazes me to this day how cruel and STUPID these people can be.

As for djegghead's long-ass comment, all I can say is that it doesn't matter that she was a married woman. The only people who really give a shit about that are JW's and jealous spouses. I have male friends who are married that I speak to, my BF has female friends that are married that he speaks to. Hell, we consider ourselves married in our hearts and we still speak to single people of the opposite sex and have friendships with them. These friendships include email and text messaging. No one's cheating on anyone else. There is nothing wrong with having platonic relationships with people of the opposite sex. And, contrary to what the Washtowel Babbling Crap Society prints, it IS possible to have a platonic and non-sexual friendship with someone of the opposite sex. Hell, according to the Washtowel, these days even same-sex friendships should be questioned if the parties have gotten "too close".

• TOTH
    TOTH

I had some trouble with some elders and an elder wannabe. Never with any sisters because I refused to date ANY of them until I met my wife. One brother (Elder Wannabe) offered me a job cleaning Burger Kings in the wee hours and on New Years we had to go in and do like a Spring Cleaning on ALL of his accounts. FOR FREE! I went along with it out of being a good guy. Later on we had some jerk that left bethel to join our congregation because he fell in love with our pioneer when she went to visit bethel the spring before. Well after a month this doosh dumped her for her underaged (14 years I think) cousin. Well he married her and needed work so HALF of my Burger King cleaning jobs went to dooshy from bethel. When I bitched about THAT one elder wannabe gave him the rest of my work. FU**ASS!

Being that I was 19 and vengeful I took out my frustrations by driving by each of my old Burger Kings after he did his work and I took an oiler and squirted 90 wt gear oil on all the windows I could hit.....LOL I would go into the Burger Kings sometimes and order food and then squirt ketchup onto the baseboards. Hard areas to clean. I called in complaints about bad smells and other sanitation problems. Because bethel doosh never cleaned up the hard areas.

I finally did something worth remembering. Since elder wannabe had a Burger King account a few blocks from my house I walked over when I figured he would be there. He was mopping up the dining room and would peer out into the darkness like he felt someone was watching him. I was! LOL Well he backed into the kitchen and I sprang into action. I took my tire valve tool and let the air out of his driverside rear tire and walked away. But I then thought...Who carries TWO spares? So I did the front one too. Turns out bethel doosh was running behind because he had decided to screw too long and needed elder wannabe's help. But he was stuck on a Sunday moring with no way to help him. I got some dirty looks at the hall but he could prove none of it of course.

It turned out later that bethel doosh had been thrown out of bethel for massaging his nasty privates with his filthy hand. Then it became known that he slapped the hell out of his teen bride. Later on he got a job as an assistant mgr at a burger joint my sister worked at. He tried to push her around because he was a BROTHER. She told him to slap his wife all he wanted but to back off of her...LOL! If I remember correctly my sister quit on him during a busy shift...LOL

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

My post was supposed to point out a couple of side points.

"The next day, the elders showed up at my house and asked me to attend another congregation."

I knew a Ministerial Servant who asked to switch Book Studies because a sister assigned to it used to be his father's mistress. The elders told him that whatever she did prior to becoming a Witness was not to be held against here. They also said that if he switched Book Studies he would be removed as a Servant.

So, if he would have been removed for that why would it be alright for elders to ask you to go to another congregation other than to help out where "the need is great"?

"There was also a local needs part during the next service meeting about not pressing charges against members of the congregation."

Romans 13:1-7 states that the authorities (e.g. the police) are God's ministers and he has given them a sword and we have nothing to fear if we follow the law.

So, the elders telling the congregation not to press criminal charges against those in the congregation who break the law are circumventing God's arrangement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit