Anyone do sales for a living by any chance?

by cognac 21 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

This happened on Friday.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

overstepped was a kind word, that sales person corncobbed u. I've blown up for alot less then that. It gives the client the impression that your company is out of control and that the salespeople are sharks. Not comforting for a buyer.

Towards the end of next week I would send an email requesting a time convinient to her so u can pick up where u left off, and take care of whatever u were working on.

Did the President give u permission to throw in a bone?

• cognac
    cognac

If I can't fix this that's about 40k out of my pocket for the year... I worked my a** off on this account. He's says he didn't do anything wrong and she's just using him as an escape goat. He doesn't feel bad at all...

How do you think I should deal with him?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I am in corporate IT software sales. Though the honest and ethical sales people end up being the most successful, a large number of New Business reps are notoriously deceptive. They are the part of the job that can make it the most difficult. As you have already done, you need to make sure that your managers are aware of what occurred. You may or may not win the sale, but I have been in similar situations and taken a lot of abuse from people that eventually become great customers. They appreciate that you treat them professionally through thick and thin.

One of the reasons JWs make great reps is that they do not take loosing an account personally. When a householder rejects your message, you don't think they hate you, you write it off as hating Jehovah and head on to the next door. That same attitude of persistence is what helps a JW succeed at any other sales job.

• cognac
    cognac

Thanks jwfacts. Just pisses me off to no end that he eff's this up and I may end up losing so much cause of it... Especially when I feel like it wasn't simply human error, but he was purposely trying to do something underhanded...

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Just a thought - is there any chance that because you're female, your male colleague thought (wrongly) that he should take the lead or impose himself on the deal?

• finally awake
    finally awake

I'm not in sales, I'm a government tax auditor. A large part of my job is dealing with taxpayers who are not happy to see me. If one of my coworkers dared to contact one of my accounts behind my back, I'd be livid. I don't work on commission (aren't you all glad to hear that!), but screwing with my work product and making my work environment less pleasant is not acceptable. Even when we work in groups, one auditor takes the lead position and everyone else keeps their trap shut in front of the taxpayer.

• watson
    watson

He was wrong to contact your client without strategizing with you first. I've seen many sales lost because an over eager or over zealous salesperson thought they were helping....

• cognac
  • hubert
    hubert

Cognac, you may have lost that account, but might have not lost the client for you're company.

For sure, this lady won't have anything to do with your coworker.

Something similar to that happened to me many years ago. I wanted to but a new pickup truck from a dealer. The sales person that I dealt with tried to sell me a truck that was damaged (side window was broken into, radio was stolen, door was replaced). How I noticed was the passenger side window had a vent window in it, but the driver's side didn't.

When I asked why this happened, I was given the run around by the sales person, but wasn't told that the truck was broken into, which was the reason for the door change. (Previous door was damaged, also). When I found out the truck was broken into, I called and said I wanted my deposit back, because the salesperson lied to me, and I didn't want to deal with them anymore. The manager called me and told me he would like to have me come down and talk to a different sales person, and see if it can be cleared up. I said okay, as long as I don't have to deal with the first sales person. I went back, everything went well,, and I bought the truck.

So, like i said before, you may have lost the account, no fault of yourself, but you still have a good chance of keeping the client, if you play your cards right. At least your employer will be happy, and that will be a "feather in your cap".

As for your co worker, keep him out of any deals you are working on. Don't ever take him with you to a new or old client.

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit