The Two Trees - My Genesis Ponderings

by cedars 190 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• N.drew
    N.drew

Hello! I do not like the word "onslaught". It's mean.

I do not think the death from disobedience happened upon perfect people. Have a look at the fossil record.

I believe the account does not describe what really happened, but explains how we have become thus.

I think Genesis 1:26 which says "man in the image of God" means holy. Leviticus 11:44 and 1 Peter 1:16

The Tree of Life I suspect means how we are known to God. So "Eve" wanted to know how she was known to God (for good or for evil). But it was only after she "ate" what was forbidden that she was known for evil.

Who is Satan? Satan was a heavenly creature. In Heaven there exists no time. So Satan knew what would become of them. When he was thrown down from Heaven and his time became short it does not mean of short duration. It means he can no longer access forever like holy people can.

My opinion. I think I do not cause onslaught.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

God said all his creation was perfect. Perfection would seemingly include not being sinful and thus having to die.

He said it was "good".

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

True; he didn't say "perfect" he said "very good" - my bad!

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

There are so many holes in the contemporary bible it's not funny.

If you believe the story of Adam and Eve you must ask, if they were created perfect without flaw, why did they need to be tested? Wouldn't perfection make it impossible for them to sin in the first place?

Then it leads to the question is God imperfect himself, did he create them imperfectly or is God perfect but created them to be imperfect?

Either way you look at it, it now causes dissonance throughout the entire bible.

From this other questions, such as the ones cedars mentioned, start to pile up. What’s unfortunate is there’s no concrete answer, not from the bible anyway.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

If you believe the story of Adam and Eve you must ask,

I think we've already established it's an allegory.

Any thoughts on what it means?

• Razziel
    Razziel

I got to this thread late. My first thoughts expand on james_woods mention of "free will" and tec's mention of "knowing the difference between good and evil". Eating the forbidden fruit is the first mention of humans exercising free will ,right? And the difference between "knowing good and bad" could mean understanding the consequences of good and bad actions? Or it could mean losing your innocence and naivety?

Isn't that the price that most people pay for "learning the hard way"? The consequences of poor decisions catch up to you, and at the same time you destroy once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. (innocence, health, familial relationships, criminal record, etc.) Knowledge and understanding gained from bad decisions and experiences often exacts a price on your health, future success, or standing in society (symbolized by the tree of life?), all of which were ruined in Adam & Eve's circumstances.

• mP
    mP

@lars

even if you believe evolution to be wrong that does not mean the bible is supreme or right. the bible must be analyzed sepatately on its accord. scientistist try and keep trying until they find a better answer. your commentary is noway near that level of intellectual honesty.

one can hardly say the presentation given of how or why god dreated man as being scientific. those few words explain nothing, and are on the lebel of a childs story.

TREES IN ANCIENT MYTHOLOGY

trees are a very popular symbol in myths. after all the impressive abilities of a tree to grow, give fruit, wood all from just water and sun is very amazing especially to the unscientific simple ancient man. we see for ourselves in the bible that the jews worship asherah throughout their history. in fact the menorah is nothing more than a modern form of the asherah idols of old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asherah

Figurines identified with Asherah are strikingly common in the archaeological record, indicating the popularity of her cult from the earliest times to the Babylonian exile. [7] More rarely, inscriptions linking Yahweh and Asherah have been discovered: an 8th century BCE ostracon inscribed "Berakhti etkhem l’YHVH Shomron ul’Asherato" ( Hebrew : ?????? ???? ????? ?????? ??????? ‎) was discovered by Israeli archeologists at Kuntillet Ajrud (Hebrew "Horvat Teman") in the course of excavations in the Sinai desert in 1975. This translates as: "I have blessed you by YHVH of Samaria and His Asherah" (or perhaps "... by YHVH our guardian and His Asherah", if "Shomron" is to be read "shomrenu"). Another inscription, from Khirbet el-Kom near Hebron, reads: "Blessed be Uriyahu by Yahweh and by his Asherah; from his enemies he saved him!". [8]

Google for "menorah asherah" there are countless books and articles which assert that Asherah is a tree of life. Notice many of her names, titles are the same as those the Catholic Church gives to the Virgin Mary. In fact if we study further we will see that Asherah = Isis = Mary. The story never changes, only the names, locations and other minor details.

WHAT IS THE FRUIT ?

lastly if we believe it was wrong for adam and eve to eat the fruits, the question must be asked.

- Should we eat anything that grows from a tree ?

Given we do not which fruit it was we have no way of avoiding the true fruit, thus we must avoid all fruits and produce from all trees to be safe. This is a difficult moral delimina.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@cedars:

I've just posted a new blog article....

I read it.

The purpose behind the article is to explore my own doubts and long-standing confusion over the Genesis narrative - particularly the events surrounding Adam and Eve's expulsion from Eden, and the "two trees" (namely the "tree of life" and the "tree of the knowledge of good and bad").

I agree that this was the gist of your blog article, yes.

In my article I discuss my confusion over what the exact properties of the "tree of the knowledge of good and bad" may have been, and the fact that evidently by eating of the fruit Adam and Eve did not become sinful but more godlike. I ponder how this relates to the concept of inherited sin.

Ok. I would like to tell you that the tree of "the knowledge of good and bad" was just a tree, it was a fruit tree, but it didn't have any special "properties"; it's fruit was just fruit of some kind and nothing more. I'm glad that your ponderings have been about the connection this portion of the Genesis account to the inherited sin we all have and not about the kind of fruit tree from which Adam and his wife were commanded not to eat. (Based on what Eve tells the serpent, it is clear to me that Adam had told his wife that she shouldn't even think about touching this tree.)

(From your blog article:)

Love is essentially an emotional attribute....

I don't want to post too much here from your article, but love is so much more than "an emotional attribute." I've just leave it there.

Evidently, the tree of life was the source of Adam and Eve’s everlasting life, and it was among the trees from which they were encouraged to "eat to satisfaction".

I understand that you think this "tree of life" to have been the source of everlasting life, but this isn't "evident" to me, and this may be because I cannot wrap my mind around the idea of a tree having something that even God's son didn't have until he was granted to have life in himself, and this was after his baptism, This sounds to me like you think of the tree of life as a kind of "magic tree," a tree imbued with properties that could give to anyone that eats of its fruit everlasting life, except Adam didn't know about the tree of life. You and I know about the tree of life because you and I have a copy of the Bible, which contains the Genesis account, but even if Adam had a Bible, the Genesis account wasn't included in his copy.

On the other hand, the "tree of the knowledge of good and bad" was strictly off limits, but it was the properties of this tree in particular that confused me.

What "properties"? I don't see a thing that could confuse you here. The Bible doesn't talk about properties.

[I]f Adam and Eve had already been created in God’s likeness, then how was it that by eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and bad they became LIKE God and Christ?

What's the nexus between Adam and Eve's having been created in God's likeness and the fact that they rebelled against God's rulership by opting for self-rule? By eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, they rejected God's righteousness and wanted to establish their own standard of righteousness. Now we know that God sets the standards for righteousness, and Christ had come to know God's righteousness for the heavenly realm for God sarcastically said about Adam and Eve that "they have become like one of us knowing good and bad," but they had not learned God's righteousness for the earthly realm, something that God requires before he grants to anyone the right to life, just as Jesus had to learn obedience when he became a man here on earth before he was granted immortality. (As an aside here, I will just add here that if our learning God's righteousness during Judgment Day should be based upon what is written in those scrolls that will become available to us then, clearly we will all have learned "good and bad" by the time the thousand years have ended.)

Technically speaking, nothing that the serpent told Eve was untruthful, because the fruit wasn’t itself deadly....

The Bible doesn't talk about "deadly fruit," but Adam and Eve are dead, are they not? This was Lie #1. Furthermore, they had become like God, except they had established their own standard of righteousness and rejected God's righteousness. Adam and Eve were like the teenager that decides that now that he has finished high school and has a job, he can now emancipate himself and move away from home and get his own apartment, so that he no longer has to do any of the chores he hated doing, except he comes to the realization that apartment life means more than just paying the rent:

There's a car payment, an electric bill, a gas bill, monthly parking bill, the laundromat, the cleaners, ironing, food shopping, clothes shopping, restaurants and/or cooking at home with hardly anything left from the paycheck to afford lunch everyday at work or to buy gas for his car. Lacking the necessary skills to be able to cook, to wash and iron his clothes, to keep his kitchen and bathroom clean, and seeing how expensive it is to buy lunch and eat in restaurants everyday, put his clothes in the cleaners and buy gas, he came to realize that his "righteousness" didn't measure up to the "righteousness" he rejected and didn't want to learn when he was back home with his parents, where he didn't have to pay rent and carried hardly any of these burdens. Yes, Adam and Eve did become like God, but the didn't know God's righteousness. This was Lie #2.

The only way in which the serpent could be said to be misleading Eve was in its failure to warn her that she would die as an indirect consequence of eating the fruit. That is to say, it wasn’t the fruit that killed Eve, it was the punitive actions taken by God....

Warning her? The serpent told Eve that she wouldn't die, and misled her into believing something to be true about her becoming like God in knowing what is good and bad that clearly wasn't true. Perhaps you recall Jesus referring to the devil as the father of the lie, but if Eve had known God's righteousness, perhaps she and Adam would be alive today. God didn't kill Eve, nor did the fruit she ate kill Eve. God simply withdrew from them she and her husband so that the power that would have sustained their lives indefinitely ceased to function: This was death.

It was as if they were battery-powered automatons, except they were human beings, and although they had now been unplugged from their power source, they were still able to function with the life they had and even have children for a time, but eventually the "battery" did become exhausted and they died. We today live on that same battery charge that was first given us by Adam and Eve, except that the "charge" in us turned out to last on the average for only about 70 or 80 years.

Notice what God goes on to say in Genesis 3:22:

"and now in order that he [Adam] may not put his hand out and actually take fruit also from the tree of life and eat and live to time indefinite...." [¶] So it’s clear from the above account that the tree of life, whatever it actually was, was a source of eternal life to whoever ate from it....

This is not so "clear" to me, but I understand your point. However, Jehovah is the source of eternal life and Genesis 3:22 is the very first time that Adam and Eve came to learn about the existence of the "tree of life." As I said above, you and I are the ones that happen to have a Bible, which contains a copy of the Genesis account; Adam and Eve didn't have a Bible, so he had no way of knowing about what Genesis 2:9 says. People often read more into the Bible than it says.

The serpent, Satan, claimed that the newfound "knowledge" obtained from the contraband tree would indeed make Adam and Eve "like God" – which it evidently did.

No, they didn't gain any knowledge from a tree, and Adam and Eve were in no respect "like God"; their knowledge of "good and bad" was based on their own standards, not God's. As I say above, God was being sarcastic when he indicated that they had come to know "good and bad," just as when Satan is twice referred to in the Bible as "the original serpent," which became a symbol of the curse upon Satan in Eden when Satan started the rebellion against God by misleading Eve.

The only issue was that they could not be permitted to live with this knowledge forever by eating further from the "tree of life". God evidently determined that having BOTH the new knowledge AND eternal life was inconceivable – hence the banishment. [¶] As you can imagine, this has left more questions than answers in my mind, as follows…

I would suggest that you stop reading things into Scripture that isn't there and this will keep you from postulating things from non-facts. You didn't read anywhere in the Genesis account about Adam and Eve's eating from the "tree of life." You read mention at Genesis 2:9 about God's making to grow trees that were "desirable to one's sight and good for food" and then specific mention made of the "tree of life" and the "tree of the knowledge of good and bad" and conclude that Adam and Eve has been eating from the tree of life, when the point of separating these two trees from the other trees that existed in Eden that had been "desirable to [their] sight and good for food" is the fact that they weren't eating from either of these two trees.

Yes, at Genesis 2:16, 17, Jehovah did give to Adam the command: "From every tree of the garden you may eat to satisfaction. But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad you must not eat from it," but he never mentioned the "tree of life" that was "in the middle of the garden" along with along with the "tree of the knowledge of good and bad." How do I know that Adam and Eve knew nothing about this tree? When telling the serpent about God's command with respect to the "tree of the knowledge of good and bad," Eve spoke of only the "eating of the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden...." Evidently Satan had no idea that God has designated any of the trees as a "tree of life," for in that case he would surely have said to Eve instead:

"You positively will not die. Go eat fruit from the tree of life, which is also in the middle of the garden, and then you may eat from the other tree, for God knows that in the very day of your eating from it your eyes are bound to be opened and you are bound to be like God, knowing good and bad."

This move would have put Jehovah God in a predicament that obviously Jehovah didn't want to be in so he never even mentioned the tree of life until Adam and Eve were being evicted from Eden. No doubt Adam, Eve, Satan and the two cherubs that were posted at the east of the garden of Eden to block the way to tree of life all learned for the first time about this tree.

Just what was it about "the tree of the knowledge of good and bad" that made Adam and Eve even more godlike than they already were? Was it in fact "sentience" itself – or human self-awareness?

The fact that they were setting their own standards make them like God, not "godlike." (The word "godlike" has a very different meaning than the words "like God.")

This might explain the reaction of Adam and Eve to their nakedness.

A guilty conscience would explain their peculiar behavior since they had sinned, they had previously had nothing about which to feel guilty. Adam gave he and his wife away by telling God that they were naked when God had never told either of them that they were naked. With that "confession," God knew exactly what has transpired.

Above all, where does the concept of "inherited sin" and human perfection fit into all of this?

Adam and Eve had become, in effect, battery-powered human beings that at their sentencing became unplugged from God, their power source, so we, their children, came to inherit what they had become, not what they had been, and our "charge" doesn't last too much longer than 70 or 80 years on an average.

Obviously the act of eating the fruit was sinful, but not necessarily whatever it was that the fruit did to them. So where does the notion of inherited sin and the ransom fit into all of this?

You seem to be of the opinion that the fruit that Adam and Eve ate that they should not have eaten poisoned their bodies or changed them in some way, but what is the scriptural basis for such speculation on your part?

@djeggnog

• cedars
    cedars

djeggnog:

I'm sorry, but that reply was WAY too long. Also, I lost the heart to read all the way through it when you said silly things like this:

I understand that you think this "tree of life" to have been the source of everlasting life, but this isn't "evident" to me

Read Genesis 3:22 (which has been referred to many times already on this thread) and then come back to me on that, will you?!

I would suggest that, rather than quote every word I say and then make off-the-cuff remarks, you "break it down" for me, and tell me what you believe to be the significance of the two trees, and the true nature of inherited sin. From my reading of the first 3 chapters of Genesis (and the conclusions of others) the only sin committed was the act of disobedience in eating the fruit. Nowhere is the fruit described as poisonous in nature. It's direct effects were positive rather than negative in that they made the eater MORE like God rather than less like him. Adam and Eve only died as a result of subsequently being deprived access to the tree of life.

Please think all this through properly, and then come back to me with some simple and succinct findings.

palmtree67 - I appreciate you quoting from all those different versions. How did you do that by the way?! However, none of those scriptures preclude the possibility that Adam and Eve may already have been eating from the tree of life, but they needed to be seperated from it so as to prevent them from having an unholy "best of both worlds" scenario, i.e. knowledge to which they weren't entitled AND eternal life, which evidently needed to be replenished by eating of the tree on an ongoing basis. At least, that's the conclusion I draw when reading the text.

Cedars

• Razziel
    Razziel

Ok. I would like to tell you that the tree of "the knowledge of good and bad" was just a tree, it was a fruit tree, but it didn't have any special "properties";

Ok, I agree with you there, but you later disagree with yourself.

I don't want to post too much here from your article, but love is so much more than "an emotional attribute." I've just leave it there.

Well it depends on your definition of love. I like to think it's deeper than just a biological and chemical response to external stimulii, (I.E. it's a conscious decision), but I'm not to sure that's not wishful thinking.

I understand that you think this "tree of life" to have been the source of everlasting life, but this isn't "evident" to me, and this may be because I cannot wrap my mind around the idea of a tree having something that even God's son didn't have until he was granted to have life in himself, and this was after his baptism, This sounds to me like you think of the tree of life as a kind of "magic tree," a tree imbued with properties that could give to anyone that eats of its fruit everlasting life, except Adam didn't know about the tree of life.

So we agree the tree of life was symbolic. Otherwise let's leave Jesus out of it. He wasn't relevant to what happened in the Garden of Eden unless you believe in predestination. As you mentioned, Adam didn't have the Bible, and he surely didn't know about Jesus. Obviously, if Adam hadn't sinned, Jesus' sacrifice wouldn't have been needed. Oh, and the WT says eventually Adam would have gotten immortality if he hadn't sinned. So obviously the means exists outside of Jesus sacrifice, even if it wasn't in the form of a tree.

What "properties"? I don't see a thing that could confuse you here. The Bible doesn't talk about properties.

You know what he's talking about. When a noun is proceeded by adjectives, it's describing properties of the noun. For example, if I say "that douchebag djegnogg", I'm referring to someone who has surpassed the level of jerk or asshole, however has not yet reached fucker or motherfucker.

What's the nexus between Adam and Eve's having been created in God's likeness and the fact that they rebelled against God's rulership by opting for self-rule?

You avoided the question, and attributed God's response to sarcasm. I'm sure there must be another example of God being sarcastic (seriously there must be), but no, it doesn't count when the prophet sarcastically asked if a false god was using the privy.

This was Lie #1.

Well, interpetations of 1,000 yrs and spiritual death aside, they didn't die anytime soon. Inference and interpetations = mental gymnastics.

Adam and Eve were like the teenager that decides that now that he has finished high school and has a job, he can now emancipate himself and move away from home and get his own apartment, so that he no longer has to do any of the chores he hated doing, except he comes to the realization that apartment life means more than just paying the rent. This was Lie #2.

Not the best analogy, seeing as most teenagers move out for some reason along these lines, but eventually have a successful life and don't suffer a death sentence. Still, from my days in JW-land where any sort of independence was devil-induced, I understand the point you're trying to make.

The serpent told Eve that she wouldn't die

It depends on how technical you want to get. God told them they would die in the day of eating the fruit, but evidently he meant a thousand year day. Satan told Eve she wouldn't die that die, and evidently he meant a solar day.

and misled her into believing something to be true about her becoming like God in knowing what is good and bad that clearly wasn't true.

From your own words: "Furthermore, they had become like God"

As I say above, God was being sarcastic when he indicated that they had come to know "good and bad,"

People often read more into the Bible than it says.

Perhaps you are too.

I would suggest that you stop reading things into Scripture that isn't there and this will keep you from postulating things from non-facts.

/lol I know in your mind your interpetations are fact, but you are doing exactly what you warn against when you assign motives, emotions, and intentions to ambiguous passages in God's word.

Evidently Satan had no idea that God has designated any of the trees as a "tree of life," for in that case he would surely have said to Eve instead:

Once again telling us what God would have / should have said.

This might explain the reaction of Adam and Eve to their nakedness.

A guilty conscience would explain their peculiar behavior since they had sinned, they had previously had nothing about which to feel guilty. Adam gave he and his wife away by telling God that they were naked when God had never told either of them that they were naked. With that "confession," God knew exactly what has transpired.

Nothing really explains this. It's one thing to feel guilty for disobeying, it's another to feel guilty for a concept you know nothing about. If they all of the sudden realized that being naked was something to be ashamed of, we go back to the concept of the tree of knowledge having some magical aspect.

You seem to be of the opinion that the fruit that Adam and Eve ate that they should not have eaten poisoned their bodies or changed them in some way, but what is the scriptural basis for such speculation on your part?

Do the semantics really matter? The results are the same. Paradise lost. All descendents grow old and die. Whether the fruit was poisoned by God, or God decreed inherited death, or God terminated the power source, the results are the same.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit