The Catcher in the Rye- do you like it or not?

by Chemical Emotions 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Well heck, I love creepy children lol!

I'm not on Facebook yet, but if I do get on it, I'll try to find you on there. :)

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

O o o o, now that you said that Palm I just finished reading a book called "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ranson Riggs. The book caught my eye at Walmart and I couldn't put it down til I finished it. I loved it. It has creepy children in it too.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

As far as newer books go, I like books along the lines of John Green's. The only recent young adult writer that I like. He can be a bit cliched, but he's usually great. I love his main characters.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Palm I just finished reading a book called "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ranson Riggs.

Damnit!

I saw that one somewhere, almost bought it......now wishing I did.....

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

What's it about?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hm, I got a link to a video on YouTube:

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=wVegDhDxLeU

I hope it works, sorry it's not clickable. Damn you iPad!

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Thanks, I'll try to watch it. I have dialup though, so youtube's a pain sometimes.

• d
    d

I read for school at 17. It had helped me to question the watchtower and life in general.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Never noticed your comment, d. It's great book to help a person question a lot of things. I don't understand why some people think it only has either shocking or boring content to offer. It has depth that surpasses most Young Adult books I've read. It does not patronize you.

I suppose it is because it is not plot-oriented, and many people do not have the patience for such a story. But the fact is, most people's lives, especially teenager's lives, are often less plot-oriented than thought-oriented. And it is rarely fully recognized that teenagers can be so stressed, introspective, and intelligent. If there's one thing some people hate, it's a smart teen. :D

Then again, of course, some people just don't connect with certain books.

Oh well. This thread is pretty much dead, but I thought I'd might as well end it myself.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My family was barely working class. The Witnesses in my KH amply qualified as poor. The family used to go to Manhattan frequently. We always went to Rockefeller Center where my brother and I would watch the ice skaters for what seemed like hours. All our pleas to become part of the blessed crowd skating fell on deaf ears. I finally made it in college. It was anticlimatic. IN fairness, it is expensive compared to much better rinks. When I read Catcher in the Rye, I kept reading that Holden dropped money all over town on items forbidden to me---it took massive work on my part to finally do some of them even as an adult. It bothered me. I do recognize it as a good book. My objection is to the lion sized reputation it has. I did not read it as a teenager. If my father found it, it would have been curtains for me. Its current popularity shows that it is universal. The book was banned. Teachers never mentoined it. It was hard to find. I first read it as cult classic of the underground rather than literary classic. Salinger was so reclusive. When his college age lover wrote a very long article in the New York Times magazine, t was quite a sensation. I felt sorry for him. It is nice to describe reactions to a classic rather than practice 3rd grade reading comprehension skills with the WT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit