striking similarity to JW

by inbetween 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods

Armstrong and Freddy Franz had quite a battle going in the 1960s - each one accusing the other of plaigerizing their writings.

• barry
    barry

My exwife is going to this church at present but then she has been into more churches than I've had roast dinners. The WWCOG the Adventists and the Witnesses all had common roots. Its interesting that the WWCOG had footwashing before communion like the Adventists and the WWCOD has annual communion service like the witnesses. The WWCOG also has a ban of birthdays, christmas just as the witnesses doctrin dictates.

Barry

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

lol james_woods, I wasn't aware of that..

• james_woods
    james_woods
    lol james_woods, I wasn't aware of that..

Yes, seriously. I don't think it ever quite came to a lawsuit, but both publically condemned the other and so on...

• venetian
    venetian

The WWCOD is a different animal to what it was in the early days. I don't think its like the Witnesses anymore but some of its offshoots (see the OP) still hold firmly to the teachings of Armstrong. Is this the church your wife is going to?

• barry
    barry

Gday Venetian,

My exwife is going to the original Armstrong church I know the church was split and a big part of the church became christian beleiving the trinity and other mainstream doctrines and rejecting the old testiment laws and festivals.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

james_woods: That's something I didn't know. Do you have any stuff about it to share with us?

• Sulla
    Sulla

How weird is this: when I was a window cleaner, I worked with a guy who was WWCOG and who had a last name that was almost the same as mine (like Anders/Anderson sort of thing). A JW and a WWCOG both working as window cleaners in the same town and with the same name! It's like we were the same person!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

All Christian churches have some degree of similarity. Regular church does not impose it to the same degree to the whole flock--most people sitting in pews are not required to be exemplary, hounded to do more, or expected to do more than confess their sins, donate to the church, and say a few Hail Marys or Our Fathers. However, if anyone gets scammed into monastery or missionary work, even with regular church, they will find them almost exactly the same as the witlesses. Missionaries getting thrown out on the streets if they don't want to do it any more or they break a rule, missionaries ordered to break laws and moral standards to plant churches, and monks/nuns stuck in a non-fulfilling time wasting lifestyle of going to church 6 or 7 times a day (including in the middle of the night) are as common in regular church. I might add that most regular churches do take better care of the elderly and sick than the witlesses do.

• steve2
    steve2

These peoples have totally ripped off the JWs! They have embraced technology, though and don't seem to

be hiding their history.

No they haven't. Many of the Watchtower's main teachings were widely promulgated by the Christadelphians years before magpie Chuck Russell went sniffing around with his shop-lifting, belief-stealing mindset.

Plymouth Brethren were way ahead of the JWs in their refusal to become involved with "worldly"politics and their unequivocal refusal to take up arms (look at the brown's cows Russelites during WW1 some of whom joined the army, whereas the Plymouth Brethren unitedly abstained). About the only belief that the witnesses can claim is uniquely "theirs" is the blood-refusal doctrine - hardly a contribution to religious teachings your average JW would feel proud of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit