Theists - Please Explain This.......

by AK - Jeff 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• N.drew
    N.drew
    Drew - I see no 'other posts' from you before the one that asked if I saw them.

Hello! It's in the other thread.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/222352/4/Theists-why-does-God-allow-suffering#4272291

And maybe you have not been there again. I loose track easily. So sorry.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

No - I never went back.

Jeff

• glenster
    glenster

Since it's a faith in a possible God beyond the known things, you're not going
    to get much farther trying to prove isn't or is. For the basic God concept
    possibility, I recommend "How to Think About God" by Mortimer Adler. For
    Abrahamic religion, I recommend a liberal stance that understands faith as such,
    keeps up to speed about the known things God is possible beyond, and doesn't
    want anyone hurt or killed either way.

If the question is for a possibility or two for an old text, I usually put the
    verse name/number and "apologetics" in Google Search and find things. Here's
    one for these verses:
    http://carm.org/bible-difficulties/genesis-deuteronomy/did-all-egypts-livestock-die-or-not

I don't think you're going to get answers to any bigger questions about having
    faith or not in God from those verses--you'll probably decide that for yourself
    otherwise.

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

The original question was about a statement that could be analyzed evidentiary style, while your new topics go to thinking processes and motivation, which would get an "Objection!" in any court, since those can't be answered, even of another human. Why did that kid go into the school and start shooting random kids? Why not use a bomb? Why didn't he shoot his bullies or his teacher first? Maybe he had reasons, maybe he didn't. He just did what he did.

By the way AK- Jeff, does the AK stand for Alaska?

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Conceded. But does this presuppose then that god brought limited plagues to the land? What does that prove to those onlooking? Or to us today who read the accounts? Does it suggest a god of limited power then?

Beats me. Depends on the point the writers/redactors wanted to make and what your personal beliefs are on the matter.

Why the hell would you assume that I was looking at threads other than this one?
    Of course I did not see 'the other thread' - which one of the 100,000 posted on this forum? OMG

You posted there just 7 hours ago, and continued the theme of that post on this thread. N Drew responded to your post on the subject there. It isn't a thread from a long time ago from among the 100,000 posted here.

Just sayin'.

BTS

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    No - I never went back.

Ah. You edited it. Well that makes more sense.

• N.drew
    N.drew

That turned out funny wibble. I like it! Thanks botchtowersociety! I don't have a protective older (or younger) brother. It's so nice to be noticed!

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    For Abrahamic religion, I recommend a liberal stance that understands faith as such, keeps up to speed about the known things God is possible beyond, and doesn't want anyone hurt or killed either way.

I very much agree.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Why did the merchant sell all his things and buy a pearl of high value? Why did the Rich Man in Hades ask for a drop of water on his tongue? What does the wild beast with seven heads and ten horns eat?

If we are taking the Bible literally to prove the existence of a Transcendent Being beyond time and space, then we must answer these questions as well. Believing or not believing in the literal Exodus story has no impact on my faith. The Documentary hypothesis seems like a good estimation on how the Torah came together. However, I am open to correction on this.

The real questions are: Why do you wish to know the answer? Do you doubt your own philosophy? If not--be happy and live accordingly. You're not a Witness anymore. You don't have to turn in your time.

• bioflex
    bioflex

@AK-Jeff:

Exodus 9:1-6

And the LORD did that thing on the morrow, and all the cattle of Egypt died: but of the cattle of the children of Israel died not one.

Its clear that none of the cattle of the Egytpians remained where as all the cattle of the Ishraelites lived.

But in Exodus 12: 1, 13, 29,

13 - And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.

Here we see that the only exception is to the houses that have the blood on their posts. The Israelites were to sprinkle the blood on the doorposts of the houses they observed the act in, which means neither their cattle or other livestock were excluded from the destruction that was to come.

29 - And it came to pass, that at midnight the LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all thefirstborn of cattle

Not only did the Egyptians lose their firstborn sons but they also lost the firstbort live of their livestock. The Isrealites also lost the firstborns of all their livestock( cattle included) because the blood was meant for their houses and not their animal farms.

12 - For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD

firstborn of all cattle , does not mean the Egyptians owned them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit