i work with a JW and he doesnt know im an inactive

by user100 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Oubliette,
    No, it wasn't directed at you specifically. And some of what you say is true.
    However since you bring it up I will comment on that 3rd point as I do hear it often on this site. i.e. "The elders only have as much power and authority over any of us as we give them." It is so situation dependent and I would say that it might be more true for some than others.
    We all know that if you are a fading JW who has a family loyal to the religion then the elders DO have the power to sever your ties with them. This is not power that we give them. It may be power that your family gives them, but not you as an individual.
    It's good that in your own experience things have rarely been as bad as you expected. But that doesn't mean that there are not certain situations which can be very bad indeed if circumstances transpire against you. Everybody's family situation is a little different so we can't say to any individual that everything will be fine if you ignore the problem.
    In general I am not disagreeing that it doesn't help to worry unduly, but at the same time if I was in user100's situation again I would prefer to hear some practical advice on how to mitigate the risk, rather than be told not to worry about it.
    All the best,
    FG

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Flamegrilled, thanks for responding.

You misunderstood a lot of what I said and inferred things I never implied.

For example, I never said, "not to worry," as if life is all EGBOK (everything's gonna be OK) once you realize that the elders only have the authority you give them.

I'm well aware of how much damage this cult can do. My own children shun me because of the messed up rules and practices of this cult. My oldest has barely spoken to me in half a dozen years. This religion ruins families as a result of it authoritarian, high-control practices.

Let me repeat the most important part of that: THIS RELIGION RUINS FAMILIES!

The elders instructed my children to shun me and they listened and obeyed the elders. I told the elders that they did not have the right to tell my children to do this.

After that, I personally went through the humiliating process of being reinstated even though I had woken up to TTATT and was well aware of all of the hypocrisy and lies of the WT leadership. I did this in an attempt to reconcile with my children. So I am well aware of what can happen.

Nevertheless, through it all I learned a lot of valuable lessons, the most important one being true to oneself and realizing that the elders only have as much authority over us as we grant them. We can't control other people. It's and illusion to think so. Perhaps we can influence them. Even that is hard to do.

Our actions have consequences. Our in-actions do too. Being true to oneself is really the most important thing.

Ultimately, the most important relationship we have in this life is the one we have with our self.

Oubliette

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit