More "Elders" Doubt They Are Appointed By The "Holy Spirit"!

by Bubblegum Apotheosis 86 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious
    The "slave" or "steward" is in charge of or has been appointed over his fellow "domestics." I'm now going to change one word and say exactly the same thing: The "slave" or "steward" is in charge of or has been appointed over his fellow "slaves."

It's very imporant that the word be rendered slave or servant. This is because Matthew 24:45 is an allegorical reference to the story of Joseph in Genesis. Joseph's life path is very important as it led to the position he eventually held, which actually was leader of the known world: Pharaoh of Egypt. He starts out as a boy and then is put through a rigorous childhood of being envied and eventually betrayed by his own brothers.

There are deep truths held in the reason why the story of Joseph was written down the way it was. And those truths are why it is referenced in Matthew 24:45. Jesus is speaking to people who know the Torah well. In communities where the masses are illiterate storytelling is a mix of information and entertainment. The more interesting the story the easier it is to remember. So the art of storytelling was used as a way of educating the masses.

In the contentious verse in the Book of Matthew I believe Jesus was speaking of a time in the distant future. A time where there will be two types of people. The Joseph types, that deserve to be given what Joseph was given: the seat of the throne to the known world and the Anti-Joseph types which deserve to burn forever in eternal damnation. The stark contrast between the two possibilities is reason to believe Jesus is speaking about the distant future a time without grey, only black and white. Joseph, in Genesis, was chosen by Pharaoh to be acting Pharaoh because even the great Egyptian King was merely from a random noble line. He must have at least secretly knew he had random genetic limitations. In all his wisdom he could not gain the experience and passion that was within Joseph because of what happened to him. It was Zaphnath-Paaneah that had a very humanitarian thing going on that was providing food for the house of Israel during bitter famine.

Matthew 5:5 - Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.

-Sab

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

djeggnog's regular response below to everybody else's "ignorance". (Except the joke's on him!)

• pharmer
    pharmer

What I see in the Bible is this:

Mt 24:45-47
    "Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his master has set over his household, to give them their food at the proper time?
    46 Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes.
    47 Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions.
    ESV

It looks to me that the Master sets the slave/servant/steward over the master's household and over all of the master's possessions. The "his" in this passage appears to be the "Master".

But Djeggnog, it looks like you are telling me, "yes" that's correct, but at the same time you seem to contradict it by using the possessive noun "slave's" in place of "master's". See your original:

Djeggnog: ...it is by means of holy spirit that the "faithful and discreet slave" (Matthew 24:45-47), as represented by the Governing Body, received its appointment to preside over the slave's "domestics"...

Basically, I've just re-restated what I've been asking for clarification. Is this intentional or is it an error? Go back to this original, because I think you misunderstood when you tried to clarify, and thus you threw in the word "fellow" while focusing on the wrong area (green highlighted instead of the possessive noun) and that just adds to the confusion for me when comparing it to the actual scriptures cited. (see below)

The "slave" or "steward" is in charge of or has been appointed over his fellow "domestics." I'm now going to change one word and say exactly the same thing: The "slave" or "steward" is in charge of or has been appointed over his fellow "slaves."
  • djeggnog
    djeggnog

@sabastious:

That woman had courage, something I think you believe you have, yet possess the opposite. You are free to reply, but I wouldn't spend a great deal of time on it.

Perhaps I am lacking in courage, so I won't reply.

@djeggnog wrote:

@pharmer wrote:

You seem to be addressing the green highlighted area, whereas I'm asking for clarification on the 'possessive [pronoun]' instead. On the original, it is the yellow highlighted area. In this latest version of yours, it is the "his" that needs to be identified (his domestics...whose domestics?) Who is the "his" to which the domestics belong?

In both instances, the possessive pronoun "his" as indicated in yellow refers to the slave's fellow slaves, to the slave's fellow domestics, where "slaves" is a synonym for domestics." In a law office, excluding the senior partner that owns the firm and the associate attorneys, there is the staff, which consists of the legal secretaries, law clerks, paralegals, personal assistants, file clerks, word processors, accountants, a messenger and a couple of receptionists, as well as an office manager that handles the day to day affairs of the law firm, including accounts receivable and accounts payable. Everyone has a role, but they are all of them employees of the senior partner ("his domestics"), individually, but they are the staff ("the slave"), collectively.

It might be said that the office manager is a slave or a domestic, no more, no less, than is the staff, who are also fellow slaves or fellow domestics, but your question is, to whom do these domestics belong in view of the fact that Matthew 24:45 says, "whom his master appointed over his domestics? My answer: The domestics individually belong to the master as does the slave collectively.

Yet you admit that the "domestics" belong to the Master (Jesus), so why do you use the possessive noun "slave's" instead of "master's"? Is this an error or is it intentional? To me, that sounds like you are contradicting yourself; on one hand you say "slave's domestics", on the other you say the domestics belong to the master ("master's domestics").

I don't believe I ever used the expression, "slave's domestics," but I did use the expression "slave's 'domestics'" in the following:

(@djeggnog:)

... it is by means of holy spirit that the "faithful and discreet slave" (Matthew 24:45-47), as represented by the Governing Body, received its appointment to preside over the slave's "domestics" as well as over the rest of the Christian household to make appointments of the local body of elders, which scripturally-qualified men, who serve as "shepherds and teachers," are as "gifts" given by Jesus, men to whom Christians in the local congregation are directed to "be submissive." (Ephesians 4:7, 8, 11-13; Hebrews 13:17)

I believe I did this once or twice, but in those instances, I am referring to the slave's fellow slaves or "domestics."

@djeggnog

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

DjDamnFool,

Good on ya:

- giving new meaning to the term "verbal diarrhea."

Bill.

• pharmer
    pharmer

Djeggnog,

Let's make this as easy as possible to clarify your original statement, otherwise it seems I'll just have to keep asking you to clarify each subsequent answer you give. This should be quite simple and I would appreciate your patience.

I've tried to get you to just simply fill in the blank, leaving all other words the same, just simply fill in the blank with the appropriate possessive noun. I'll even make it multiple choice. Simply pick the appropriate answer and, if you would like, follow it with an explanation if you feel it is necessary.

In your statement:

Djeggnog: ...it is by means of holy spirit that the "faithful and discreet slave" (Matthew 24:45-47), as represented by the Governing Body, received its appointment to preside over the ___???___'s "domestics"...

The following is/are the appropriate possessive noun(s):

A) Slave's

B) Master's

C) Both A and B

D) None of the above

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

djeggnogg: A legend in his own mind!

Pleeeeeeeease DO NOT FEED the trolls!

Doc

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@djeggnog wrote:

I don't believe I ever used the expression, "slave's domestics," but I did use the expression "slave's 'domestics'" in the following:

(@djeggnog:)

... it is by means of holy spirit that the "faithful and discreet slave" (Matthew 24:45-47), as represented by the Governing Body, received its appointment to preside over the slave's "domestics" as well as over the rest of the Christian household to make appointments of the local body of elders, which scripturally-qualified men, who serve as "shepherds and teachers," are as "gifts" given by Jesus, men to whom Christians in the local congregation are directed to "be submissive." (Ephesians 4:7, 8, 11-13; Hebrews 13:17)

I believe I did this once or twice, but in those instances, I am referring to the slave's fellow slaves or "domestics."

@pharmer wrote:

Let's make this as easy as possible to clarify your original statement, otherwise it seems I'll just have to keep asking you to clarify each subsequent answer you give. This should be quite simple and I would appreciate your patience.

I've tried to get you to just simply fill in the blank, leaving all other words the same, just simply fill in the blank with the appropriate possessive noun. I'll even make it multiple choice. Simply pick the appropriate answer and, if you would like, follow it with an explanation if you feel it is necessary.

A "multiple choice" now, @pharmer? You don't need a clarification; what you need is a puppy. I'm going to humor you here, but I'm done humoring you, so after this post, if you're still stuck, you're going to have to ask someone else to help you.

Snippet #1 is the statement you constructed:

[1] ...it is by means of holy spirit that the "faithful and discreet slave" (Matthew 24:45-47), as represented by the Governing Body, received its appointment to preside over the ___???___'s "domestics"...

Snippet #2 is taken from my (earlier) statement:

[2] ... it is by means of holy spirit that the "faithful and discreet slave" (Matthew 24:45-47), as represented by the Governing Body, received its appointment to preside over the slave's "domestics"....

This is the multiple choice you provided:

The following is/are the appropriate possessive noun(s):

A) Slave's

B) Master's

C) Both A and B

D) None of the above

I think your multiple choice is inane, but just compare #1 with #2 and you should be able to figure out the word in #2 you should use to "fill in the blank" in #1. Hint: It might be beneficial to see if you can get an sixth grader (an 11-year-old) to help you with this because absolutely no one would consider either "Both A and B" or "None of the above" to be possessive nouns.

@DesirousOfChange:

djeggnogg: A legend in his own mind!

Pleeeeeeeease DO NOT FEED the trolls!

Thanks, but I just love trolls! I enjoy rubbing the heads of these furry little creatures, giving them attention. I know it's just plain silly to be humoring them, but these creatures are all over the internet, and even if you don't humor them, they always come back, and, oh, did I mention that they're such furry little creatures and funny? This one thinks possessive pronouns like "his" are possessive nouns.

@djeggnog

• elderelite
    elderelite

What i find truly ironic is that if you have ever sat in an elders meeting you realize tha holy sprit did not appoint anyone in that room and certainly inst operating at that moment. Arguing about semantics dosent change that.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    What i find truly ironic is that if you have ever sat in an elders meeting you realize tha holy sprit did not appoint anyone in that room and certainly inst operating at that moment. Arguing about semantics dosent change that.

First thought I had in my first elder's meeting was, "how'd I get into this mess?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit