british press have knifes out for Richard Dawkins

by highdose 115 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Every word that comes out of [Richard Dawkins] mouth is in essence "you dumb-f..ks"

Utter bullshit.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Dawkins does have some bad public goofs (like the whole 'Brights' idea) but when an educated man has to defend his area of expertise, an area he knows like the back of his hand, day after day by purposefully miseducated idiots (there is no other word that desrcibes the majority of religious commentators on evolution) and then also has to deal with a largely 'underdeveloped' populace who are more interested in beer and soaps but feel sufficiently indignant to reveal their ignorance in debate is it any wonder that he sometimes gets a little sharp or short? The man is extremely clever, he is not a hypocrite and he deeply cares about humanity and the abysmal failure of religion over thousands of years to achieve anything beyond the odd war, a pervy puzzle book and to endow mankind with an abiding sense of inferiority and distrust for facts.

I am sad that I shall probably never see the day when an atheist/humanist agenda is formulated and codified in law and the bare faced lies of religion are consigned to the stake and burnt alongside every flippin' gideon bible. In the meantime the smary preachers will continue to grease their palms with the gullibles' money and hold as many people as they can in slavery and servitude to myth and magic.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

ZAGOR: Let me guess... you are a believer, right?

• zagor
    zagor

ZAGOR: Let me guess... you are a believer, right?

absolute nonsense, in fact I was the one who often quoted him around this form for a long time mate. e.g.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/153846/1/Explosive-talk-given-by-by-Richard-Dawkins-highly-recommended

What I say has nothing to do with evolution or creation but I've had a chance to see him live and although I liked his arguments as always, I was left with somewhat bad taste in my mouth few times during the event. It didn't feel right because of contemptuous undercurrent. I think he tries to be funny but looking around the room and seeing some of the faces of those I know who came seeking some elightment.. Well basically I think he didn't help them much in those moments. Other than that he is a brilliant scientist

• cofty
    cofty

Every word that comes out of his mouth is in essence "you dumb-f..ks"

zagor - Do you really want to stand by that comment? What about a lifetime of making difficult science accessible to millions of non-experts, does that get him any credit?

• tec
    tec

I forgot about the Bright's thing, lol. Yeah, that was pretty condescending and arrogant.

Can you think of a specific example whenhe has behaved this way?

I can. In that discussion on 'something from nothing' that I mentioned earlier. It was the only thing that turned me off that two hour discussion - talking about that woman who didn't understand evolution. She was an idiotic woman. Referred to the idiotic woman a couple times in that talk. Plus the laughing mocking 'you're so dumb' attitude comes through whenever religion is brought up.

Peace,

Tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Referred to the idiotic woman a couple times in that talk.

Do you remmeber the name of the woman concerned? Dawkins has never to the best of my knowledge ridiculed anybody for not understanding evolution. He held the chair of the Simonyi Professorship for the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford University so that would pretty much be against his job description.

I have heard him confronting people who didn't understand evolution but who chose to criticise it anyway. To be fair willfull ignorrance deserves to be ridiculed.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have always thought he erred on the side of being too polite and gentle with some of the willfully ignorant people who he has had to deal with.

His books have been a wonderful help to me in understanding evolution and science in general, he has the true teachers art of making a complex subject understandable to thickos like me.

He is vilified and made fun of because people have no valid argument against the straight facts that he presents. Creationists and others have only that specious method of argumentation, attack the man, not the argument.

• tec
    tec

I do not know the name of the woman concerned, Cofty. Her name was never given. She was not present at the time. It was that thread... I will go find the link... on the discussion between him and another scientist about something from nothing. The other scientist brought her up because she said to him that her grandfather was not a monkey, and then Darwin later referred to her as that idiotic woman a couple of times.

So it would be more along the lines of this:

I have heard him confronting people who didn't understand evolution but who chose to criticise it anyway. To be fair willfull ignorrance deserves to be ridiculed.

Peace,

Tammy

• tec
    tec

Here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/221834/1/Something-from-Nothing-Discussion-with-Richard-Dawkins-and-Lawrence-Krauss

Its a two hour talk. I don't remember whereabouts the occasions come.

Peace

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit