british press have knifes out for Richard Dawkins

by highdose 115 Replies latest jw friends

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I am British Cofty.

• cofty
    cofty

Ah well there goes another theory haha.

If you have read the God Delusion I understand why you might not like him but his science books are awesome.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Cofty, so I'm an "obnoxious smart arse" and you don't like it. Why does that bother you anyway?

Allow me to remind you that you were the one that said, "'Nice' is over-rated anyway". If you find that I'm not nice I suggest you "deal with it" to use your words.

Funny this all started because I said that I thought that Dawkins is obnoxious and you immediately ran to his defense!

Why is it that YOU get to sling personal insults and nobody is supposed to be offended, and if they are "Who cares?" But when I make a statement about a public figure on the open forum and you take umbrage, you're allowed to start calling me names!

I'd point out that you're not being very nice, but then I remember you think "Nice is over-rated."

Your double-standard and ad hominem attacks are beginning remind me of the friggin' JWs I came here to get away from!

00DAD

• cofty
    cofty
    Your double-standard and ad hominem attacks are beginning remind me of the friggin' JWs I came here to get away from!

Ex-JW forum equivalenet of Godwin's law

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Leolaia: It isn't just Dawkins' religious/conservative critics that have complained about his arrogance. Google "Dawkins" and "elevator".

Exactly! My initial comment had nothing to do with whether Dawkins' scientific/philosophical beliefs have merit or not. I was just commenting that I personally find his manner to be offensive. Apparently I'm not alone.

It's hard for me to get past his arrogance to listen to him long enough to find out if he has anything worth saying or not.

He just really puts me off.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Cofty, why do you insist on attacking ME for a comment I made about SOMEONE ELSE, Dawkins, a controversial public figure?

Why did you bring up Anglican Bishops in a way that implied I sided with them when in fact I MADE NO MENTION OF ANY RELIGION in my original comment? You have no idea of my current religious beliefs.

Why did you bring up "Scientists like Dawkins ..." in such a way as to imply I disagree with Science, when in fact I MADE NO MENTION OF ANYTHING CONCERNING SCIENCE in my original comment? You have no idea of my current scientific knowledge or credentials.

Focus: I don't like Dawkins. I find his demeanor and rhetorical style offensive. Deal with it. You disagree. I'm ok with that.

If you can stick to speaking "truth frankly and respectfully" we won't have a problem. But when you attack me personally I'm gonna' smack you back.

Got it!

00DAD

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Poppers! I agree. It is funny that I can look at Dawkins, and see a reasoning yet firm person, and someone else sees arrogance. He has a huge and important message, and he does not hold other opinions as just as valid as his own, and that seems to upset people. I have watched his expression when people have said the most ridiculous things to him, and in my opinion, he really holds back. In the end, we need him to be strongly spoken, he will always be seen as arogant by those that want their opinions not only respected, but validated on some level. Those outside of mainstream thinking have always been accused of as being arrogant when they have challenged the status quo and refused to back down and show due deference.

NC

• darthfader
    darthfader

Richard Dawkins has been called "Darwin's Rottweiler". Im thinking there's a good reason behind that moniker.

He is brilliant and gruff and does not suffers fools lightly.

I like him, just not some of his delivery methods.

cheers

• tec
    tec

I think Dawkins is a brilliant scientist, and after watching that conversation between him and that theoretical physicist on the something from nothing talk, I also think he is incredibly open-minded... in all but one area: a creator/spirituality/religion. I think that shows bias on his behalf. I mean, he knows that we are babies when it comes to understanding the universe. Why not give that same consideration to our understanding of a creator? He can imagine that there is alien life out there, and that it could be so alien that we cannot actually even imagine the reality and properties of it... but he cannot seem to grant that same open-mindedness to a creator. One that is so much bigger than the picture religion paints... true... but one that would also help to e x plain all of this spiritual seeking, and faith and belief of mankind since its dawn.

In any case... he can be arrogant and condescending to those of faith, and others he disagrees with. He does attack the person ("that idiotic woman"), and not just the belief. The 'they are all so dumb and ignorant, unlike me' attitude does come through, lol. It doesn't make him right or wrong in his knowledge, and he is a brilliant scientist in his field, regardless. But it is a valid complaint.

Peace,

Tammy

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

i have heard him in person..... super polite, concise, clear and sweet guy....

funny if you dont agree with some then your arrogant

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit