british press have knifes out for Richard Dawkins

by highdose 115 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

Since that great atheist heavy weight Christopher hitchens left us. It seems the British press have had their knifes out for Richard Dawkins. Mostly trying to discredit him and smear his name.

His exasperated "oh god!" when trying to remember the full name of one of darwins books ( its 21 words long). Was pounced apon and blown out of all propertion.

A article was recently published and researched by a UK paper which discovered that several hunderard years ago, his ancestors were slave traders. And they tried to call him a hypocrite over that.

Most recently his debate with the archbishop of canterbury had the content of his discorse mostly ignored but his statement that he couldn't be sure if god exsists or not because of lack of evidence either way, was trophied around the press triumphly!

just what is going on here? why do the press hate one man so much?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I don't think the press hate him. He's such a totemic and polarizing figure and the press know how to manipulate that to their own benefit by giving their readership what they want. It's all about sales.

££££

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree, it is all about pandering to the prejudices and general ignorance of their readership, the writers of such trash are well aware that they are doing this, and that their accusations and observations have no merit, or indeed, basis in fact.

All such Grub Street hacks come out of the same mould as the Writing Committee of the W.T.

• cofty
    cofty

I also think there is a growing sense of unease about the increasing secularisation of the UK. The Telegraph and Mail/Express are responding to it.

Did you notice the Queen's speech sounded like a sermon last Christmas?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Putting aside whether Dawkins is right or not, perhaps it's the fact that he comes across as an smug, arrogant, pompous, condescending little asshole and is obviously very proud of it that offends many people.

In other words, people just don't like him!

Obnoxious is as obnoxious does

Obnoxious

• cofty
    cofty
    the fact that he comes across as an smug, arrogant, pompous, condescending little asshole and is obviously very proud of it that offends many people.

I can't begin to understand why people think that. Is it just people who never really listen to him and just repeat what his religious opponents say. He is the epitome of English wit and good manners.

Maybe people just get cross becasue he refuses to pander to superstitious sensitivities. "Nice" is over-rated anyway, better to speak truth frankly and respectfully.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Cofty: I can't begin to understand why people think that. ... "Nice" is over-rated anyway

I think I see your problem, if I may speak the truth frankly and respectfully.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

His exasperated "oh god!" when trying to remember the full name of one of darwins books ( its 21 words long). Was pounced apon and blown out of all propertion.

Seriously? People are that stupid about language?

I think humanity is bent on collectively collecting the Darwin award.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

SixofNine: "... collectively collecting ..."

I think you just invented my new favorite expression!!!

Nice one 6of9.

• cofty
    cofty

Cheap shot 00DAD.

Anglican bishops are "nice" they spend so long trying not to offend anybody nobody, including themselves, has the slightest clue what they are trying to say. Scientists like Dawkins state facts. Truth does not need your approval just deal with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit