I don't agree with that evidence, so I'll just ignore it. . .

by Flat_Accent 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

and there's the one answer I get when the facts don't back up their point. "We'll see"

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If the WBT$ says there is an Evil Pizza Empire and..

Demonic Deluxe Pizza`s hide in old furniture at yard sales..

Then JW`s will believe there is an Evil Pizza Empire and..

Demonic Deluxe Pizza`s hide in old furniture at yard sales..

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4924639250_5e9d3c059d.jpg

....................;-)...OUTLAW

• talesin
    talesin

The problem is that people believe what they want to believe.....

Problem? what problem ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBfdl6hNZ9k

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Where I challenged the lack of proof for a Jw belief, an Elder said to me "I am satisfied there is proof, and I am satisfied with that proof"

He would not present that proof though.

Cog. Diss.at its best. (worst?)

• Fernando
    Fernando

"Challenging doctrine or beliefs only stimulates the cult personality . . . the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve."

Spot on sizemik!

When will we learn?

Getting busy on the "dissecting doctrine or beliefs" playing field is a serious mistake - we are on the wrong playing field, and playing by their rules, within their illegitimate (ethnocentric) frameworks, and then we wonder why we are losing.

Asking simple questions which they struggle to answer seems a better way. It creates an opportunity for them to note and question their own ignorance if and when they are ready. This is called “guided discovery” where they learn new things at their own pace.

It is also vitally important to remember we are dealing with arcane addiction to a limiting and closed-minded worldview. The taproots of addiction lie within the human spirit which needs to be liberated, awakened and regenerated...

Being fully informed of the "unabridged gospel" and asking simple questions relating to their many blind spots in this area, seems to cover all bases.

One of my favourites is: "please can you explain 'legalism' and its exact opposite to me from your heart"?

The word "legalism" appears only once in the Watchtower library in an excellent article, most likely written by Raymond Franz. It is denounced as a denial of Christian faith. So one might eventually and carefully ask a series of clarifying questions around this very serious matter, starting with do you think "legalism" could be apostasy?

• rebel8
    rebel8

I am always confused when people say stuff like, "That's just an opinion," or, "I don't agree with that," when discussing a matter of fact (not a matter of opinion).

The earthquake thing, being one of the easiest ways to disprove a major tenet of their theology, makes it one of the things they respond to with the most immature/illogical responses.

I even made a graph of this and it fails to convince closed minds.

Graph: Severity and frequency of worldwide earthquakes with 1,000 or more deaths since the year 1900 with forecast based upon trend
  • Tater-T
    Tater-T

bttt

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

Very nice graph, rebel8. I was going to do something similar after I also found the USGS centennial for earthquake listings from 1900 onwards, but I guess that saves me some time.

I'd like to say I'll use this graph only for good, but apparently i'd just be stimulating cult personality. Woe is me! :c

• dinah
    dinah

Good work, Flat.

The only difference is now the world is connected. 500 years ago if an major earthquake hit San Fran--the only people who would have know was-----well nobody. I would imagine they didn't live to tell.

Go check out my happy thread, Dammit.

*shameless plug, yes I know.*

• rebel8
    rebel8

I used Excel to calculate the forecast, a.k.a., math. I've been told it's "just my forecast" so b/c I'm an apostate it's just a lie. I've suggested they validate the data and manually calculate the past and future trend. The truth can withstand verification!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit