I don't agree with that evidence, so I'll just ignore it. . .

by Flat_Accent 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

This is some bull, man.....

Otherwise perfectly rational adults behaving like preschool children. How could possibly THIS PARTICULAR part of their brain be completely wiped out? I am baffled (not only from your account, but from similar accounts in general).

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

When I pointed out the problems with the WT's earthquakes, disease, wars, etc. rhetoric, my study conductor said I was being "too scientific." He said it is spiritual and I need to pray for understanding.

• winstonchurchill
    winstonchurchill

If I recall correctly (don't have a bible around here), Jesus said there would be earthquakes, along with other signs. He didn't say there'd be more Earthquakes.

So WT has been trying too hard to prove something Jesus didn't even say.

Now your mother is right when she says the prediction points to a bunch of things happening at the same time, not a 'spike' or 'surge' of one or two of those.

We also have to admit last 100 years have been pretty shaky and unique (two global wars are no piece of cake). This takes us to the endless discussion: There's always been war, and famines, and earthquekes, etc.

I'm not saying all this because I think I know the answer, or even have a clue of where we stand in terms of 'the end' (will there be an end?). Just my two cents.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I agree with Designs.

But you can also give your opinion on the matter more subtle without showing her all the technical data.

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

You're right Winston: There will be Earthquakes in one place after another.

But that's not what the WT is arguing, and that's why I sent the email. They use baloney statistics like the one that brother used to try and prove we're living in the Last Days. An increase in ANY negative thing will be used as a sign that this system is getting closer to the end, and that is exactly the kind of thinking I was trying to prove wrong.

But if the prediction is so vague so as to say - 'Bad things will happen', instead of 'Things will get worse', then what good is it as a prediction at all? It's merely a factual statement. I could point to any time in mans history and this prophecy would be fulfilled, which is what makes it so useless as an alarm clock for the end of the world.

Besides, even if the sign is composite and dependent upon all those factors, I've just eliminated two of them which would seem to suggest we aren't seeing a fulfilment of prophecy in our time.

Again, I agree. The 20th century threw out some very unique problems, not that I needed to tell you that - you saw them first hand no doubt ;D. But in a great number of ways things have only improved throughout the 20th Century and onwards.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I see this every time I talk to my Mother, so I understand your frustration. Until the "scales fall from their eyes", they will defend whatever they are told by the WTS. My Mother even told me the last time we spoke on the subject of the end times, "forget talking about the Organization and changes...you have to believe it anyway or you will ide at Armageddon"!

• winstonchurchill
    winstonchurchill

Flat,

Further to your point, nothing is easier than convincing people that a situation is horrible and it will worsen. It's human. We look at the past as better and fear the future (basically because we have to face it).

We look at the 50's with nostalgia, but when it was happening we deemed it as hard times, cold war and faced nuclear extermination.

That's why feramongering (WatchTower not being the exception) is so succesful.

That's why - I have to admit it- I have come to doubt the prophecy itself.

• Ding
    Ding

Since her beliefs are based on what the GB says, not on evidence, presenting contrary evidence is ineffective.

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

I'm glad you can see the flaw in this type of fearmongering Winston, and I hope you find the real answers in regards to prophecy, whatever your beliefs may be.

I think it's important to have a positive view of the future - something that's hard to do if you've come from a cult like the WT. I live in a family where both my parents and my grandmother are Witnesses, so there are a lot of cynical ideas being tossed around. It's so tiring! It weighs you down just stressing about all the problems - but I'd rather think there can be a solution to them than wallowing in self pity at the hopelessness of the situation.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The J W worldview, that things are getting worse, and the world is a terrible place, prevent them from enjoying life right now, which is so sad, especially for the older ones, they spend their final days feeling impending doom and not relating to anyone outside of the JW bubble.

To get a handle on reality, that we are living in the most peaceful period in history, conditions for living are improving for all etc etc

O.K of course, living on a volcanic planet that is still settling down,we get earthquakes etc , climate change will be a problem we have to deal with, and feeding all the new mouths.

But a Malthusian view of the future, that ignores human ingenuity and progress has already proved false, the future is bright.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit