Can anyone prove that birthday celebrations are forbidden by God?

by FaithfulBrother 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• metatron
    metatron

Perhaps the account in Job does not refer to birthdays but this gives me the opportunity to expose a continuing fallacy that the Watchtower Society engages in : precision in translation that the ancient language may not justify.

They come up with these arguments based upon a supposed precision of language in Hebrew or Greek that often is imaginary. These ancient languages reflect the culture of the people that spoke them. They didn't have a scientific, technical or greatly legalistic culture. These languages were the way soldiers, fishermen, merchants and prostitutes spoke.

Think about life in the ghetto or poor neighborhoods and what sort of English they speak today? Exact? Precise? Carefully defined? I don't think so! Poor people are free to be colorful, redundant or locally imprecise. Know what a 'Deuce and a Quarter' car was? (a Buick 225) Why call McDonalds "Mickie Dee's"?

Actually, they engage in a fallacy based upon a fallacy. They suppose that the Bible is perfectly consistent and free from internal contradiction and then try to extend that supposed 'perfection' to the common languages as well. It's just nonsense.

metatron

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They take these two incidents out of context, and since they altered the text of the Not Well Translated Bible, those are the only places where it spells out "birthday". They explain away Job's children's birthdays by calling them something else--yet, when you take the rubbish out, Job celebrated his children's birthdays. No heads were taken in those celebrations. The other major birthday celebration in the Bible was when the perfect angels celebrated Jesus' birthday. If birthdays were really forbidden in the Bible, one would expect another round of demons from that incident as there were before the Flood. Though there was mention of angels that forsook their positions, it explicitly mentions the pre-flood incident and not for celebrating Jesus' birthday.

There is, however, a reason why birthdays are forbidden by the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger. It has to do with fun. If children receive things that they can have fun with, they can look forward to it. Then, those toys become a distraction--to keep children out in field circus and reduce the incentive to blow off boasting sessions, they take away the alternatives. Without toys or other fun things, children are not as prone to want to go in from field circus at noon. By taking birthdays and Christmas away, they prevent children from getting these fun things. And I don't believe that "Our children get things all year" rubbish, either.

• that quiet girl
    that quiet girl

I wish I had known this before my b'day in November...that was before I understood TTATT. But even though I no longer feel that it's wrong, a small part of me still feels like I'll be struck by lightening at any second for acknowledging someone's birthday

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

@ that quiet girl, who said,

"...even though I no longer feel that it's wrong, a small part of me still feels like I'll be struck by lightening at any second for acknowledging someone's birthday."

Don't worry about that Quiet girl. It sounds like you are fresh out of the organization, and it takes time to get comfortable being away. Many of the beliefs that have been engrained in us for years and years can't be dropped overnight. I think part of the problem is that we don't know how else to act.

I have abeen out of Watchtower for 7 years, and just this last summer I bought b'day gifts for the 2 kids that live next door whith whom I am very good friends (ages 5 and 9), and I felt a slight twinge of guilt even though it was perfectly ok to do so, and that was my first b'day involvement of any kind since about 1966. There is nothing wrong with continuing to avoid b'day celebrations for a while, or forever for that matter, if you feel like you need to.

You'll know when to start 'stepping out.' Best wishes to you in the future.

• mP
    mP

its not about principals its about alienation. bdays, xmas, are all bonding experiences. many acholars say the jews refused tomeat pork to be different. if you dont eat the same food, you wont invite them and they wont invite you. the result is division and reduced good terms, opportunities to solve bproblems etc.

notice jw never ban wedding rings which are pagan.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Everything that might bring joy and pleasure into life is forbidden by the god of the bible. Lets face it, he was a miserable bugger who got his jollies from punishing and smiting people who were just trying to have a little fun.

This and is why fun loving modern Christians have abandoned the bible and decided to make up their own beliefs and rules on an as need individual basis. I thoroughly agree with this approach as I have been making it up as I go along ever since I escaped the Watchtower.

In truth there is freedom.

• that quiet girl
    that quiet girl

Thank you, ScenicViewer. I will try to do what feels comfortable for me, even if it means continuing to avoid things for awhile that are actually ok.

• Londo111
    Londo111

And yet that quiet girl went to a Birthday partly recently. I saw it. I was there. Maybe I'll tell the elders. ;)

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

Awake 22 December 1981

“The celebration of the anniversary of an individual’s birth, though customary among the ancients, was originally frowned upon by the Christians,” notes William S. Walsh in his book Curiosities of Popular Customs. Historian Walsh goes on to quote from early Christian writings on the subject, saying: “Thus Origen, in a homily on Leviticus xii 2, assures his hearers that ‘none of the saints can be found who ever held a feast or a banquet upon his birthday, or rejoiced on the day when his son or his daughter was born. But sinners rejoice and make merry on such days.”’
    Where did early Christians get their distaste for birthdays? Partly from the Jews. “In the Bible there is no instance of birthday celebrations among the Jews themselves,” points out M’Clintock and Strong’s Cyclopædia, adding: “In fact, the later Jews at least regarded birthday celebrations as parts of idolatrous worship.”

Birthdays and Astrology

Of course, early Christians had reasons of their own for not celebrating birthdays. Back then birthdays had strong connections with pagan religion that are less noticeable today. “The custom of commemorating the day of birth is connected . . . in its content, with certain primitive religious principles,” points out the Encyclopædia of Religion and Ethics. What principles?
    Spiritism, for one. “The Greeks believed that everyone had a protective spirit or daemon who attended his birth and watched over him in life. This spirit had a mystic relation with the god on whose birthday the individual was born. The Romans also subscribed to this idea. They called the spirit the genius. This notion was carried down in human belief and is reflected in the guardian angel, the fairy godmother and the patron saint.”—The Lore of Birthdays, Ralph and Adelin Linton.
    Another reason for early Christians to avoid birthdays was the connection with astrology. “The keeping of birthday records was important in ancient times principally because a birth date was essential for the casting of a horoscope,” say the Lintons. To early Christians astrology was associated with Eastern religions, Roman Stoicism and the twisted thinking of the Gnostics. Christians wanted no part of that!

Change in Church Attitude

Eventually the nominal church’s opinion of birthdays changed. Why? Because the overall attitude of the church toward the Roman world changed, not surprisingly, when persecution ceased under Emperor Constantine. Nominal Christianity, much corrupted from the apostolic version, became the state religion. Now what happened to her previous hostility to anything pagan?
    As the church “emerged from the storm of persecution into the sunshine of imperial favor,” wrote 19th-century clergyman Henry J. Vandyke, “she passed from the lower conception of a church saved out of the world, to the higher conception of a world to be saved through the ministry of the church.”
    What was the result of such unscriptural reasoning? “Then it was that, opening her heart to the humanity of religion, she began to draw near to the humanity of Jesus, and to seek with eager interest for the day of His birth, that she might make it holy.” If Jesus’ birthday could be celebrated, what about other birthdays? William Walsh makes the connection, saying: “With the celebration of Christ’s Nativity returned the celebration of the nativities of ordinary mortals.”

Does It Matter Today?

All of this happened many hundreds of years ago. Why should it affect birthday celebrations today? Well, if first-century Christians celebrated neither their own birthdays nor Jesus’ birthday, why should not sincere Christians today follow their example?
    ‘But isn’t that an extreme position to take, even fanatical?’ some may ask. ‘After all, what harm is there in a birthday party? No spiritism or astrology is involved today.’
    Interestingly, much that is taken for granted in birthday celebrations today retains the flavor of ancient religious rites. “The custom of lighted candles on the cakes started with the Greeks,” say the Lintons. “Philochorus [an ancient Greek historian] records that on the sixth day of each month, the birthday of Artemis, [the fertility] goddess of the moon and the hunt, honey cakes round as the moon and lit with tapers were placed on the temple altars of this goddess.”
    What do the candles mean? “Birthday candles, in folk belief, are endowed with special magic for granting wishes . . . Lighted tapers and sacrificial fires have had a special mystic significance ever since man first set up altars to his gods. The birthday candles are thus an honor and tribute to the birthday child and bring good fortune,” notes the same source.
    How about the traditional greeting “Happy Birthday”? Says The Lore of Birthdays: “Birthday greetings and wishes for happiness are an intrinsic part of this holiday. . . . originally the idea was rooted in magic. The working of spells for good and evil is the chief usage of witchcraft. One is especially susceptible to such spells on his birthday, as one’s personal spirits are about at the time. . . . Birthday greetings have power for good or ill because one is closer to the spirit world on this day.”—Page 20.
    Does that mean that Christians cannot have anything to do with any custom that might have originated in false religious rites? No. A great many common practices may have had such origins. But when features of the custom, as carried over into modern-day practice, go contrary to Bible principles, then true Christians must conscientiously refuse to participate.

Self-Glorification

The Lintons note that birthdays are unlike other holidays, for they are times “when all the presents and good wishes are for oneself. The birthday cake, splendid with colored icing and shining candles is a personal tribute. Other holidays lift the heart, but birthdays warm the ego.”
    Is it a good idea for Christians to engage in celebrations that “warm the ego”? Speaking to the proud Pharisees, Jesus warned that “whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.” (Matt. 23:12) Too much ‘ego-warming’ could lead to humiliation at God’s hands. “Let us not become egotistical,” the apostle Paul counseled.—Gal. 5:26.
    ‘But why pick on a little thing like birthdays?’ some might object. Because Christians believe that the Bible principle “the person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much” applies here.—Luke 16:10.
    Besides, while a birthday party might be ‘a little thing,’ a big principle is involved. The fourth-century church began to accept birthdays only after a major change in her thinking. As we noted on page 13, clergyman Vandyke referred to the Scriptural principle that the Christian church is “no part of the world,” as a “lower conception.” But Christians who base their belief on the Bible cannot subscribe to such thinking!
    Nowhere do the Scriptures authorize the church to reject Jesus’ statement that “you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.” (John 15:19) Where did the church get the authority to reject Jesus’ words as a “lower conception” and to follow a self-proclaimed “higher conception,” that the church should become part of the world in order to save it?
    The Bible letter of James puts it strongly, stating: “Adulteresses, do you not know that the friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God.” (Jas. 4:4) Does that sound as though the church can save the world by becoming part of it and adopting its rituals?

• rebel8
    rebel8

1 In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil. 2 He had seven sons and three daughters, 3 and he owned seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen and five hundred donkeys, and had a large number of servants. He was the greatest man among all the people of the East.

4 His sons used to hold feasts in their homes on their birthdays, and they would invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit