Can anyone prove that birthday celebrations are forbidden by God?

by FaithfulBrother 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mP
    mP

NOLAW

god hates astrology explain

job 38:32, amos 5:8

dont use nwt they dont translaye somemhebrew terms.compare'with any other bible.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Self-Glorification

That would be something to avoid alright. But do you really think that applies to a child whose parents are observing his/her birthday?

Birthday observances can be held without the self glorification aspect in the same spirit that weddings and anniversaries can be celebrated.

It can be argued that the institution of marriage is being honored, not the individuals, but in the case of a birthday it can also be argued that the miracle of child birth is being honored. Gifts are generally given in both cases, so what's the difference?

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

My mum turns 83 on Sunday,She has NEVER had a birthday celebration,After almost losing her in November,Im taking her to a 5 star restaurant{sure to be no jw's there.hah!"And buying her a cool gift..I think its a miracle!!!

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

@ Aquagirl,

Your mom is a JW, and has been for all of her 83 years? Is she agreeing to the trip to the restaurant? It certainly isn't a big deal, you have to eat no matter what day it is. Congratulations, and best wishes for that day!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

rebel thats the 1st time I've read these scriptures from diff bibles. I'm amazed how many say birthday. Then they cite Job 3:1

New International Version (©1984)
    His sons used to take turns holding feasts in their homes, and they would invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them.

New Living Translation (©2007)
    Job's sons would take turns preparing feasts in their homes, and they would also invite their three sisters to celebrate with them.

English Standard Version (©2001)
    His sons used to go and hold a feast in the house of each one on his day, and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
    His sons used to go and hold a feast in the house of each one on his day, and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
    And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
    His sons used to go to each other's homes, where they would have parties. (Each brother took his turn having a party.) They would send someone to invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
    And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one on his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

American King James Version
    And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

American Standard Version
    And his sons went and held a feast in the house of each one upon his day; and they sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

Douay-Rheims Bible
    And his sons went, and made a feast by houses every one in his day. And sending they called their three sisters to eat and drink with them.

Darby Bible Translation
    And his sons went and made a feast in the house of each one on his day; and they sent and invited their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

English Revised Version
    And his sons went and held a feast in the house of each one upon his day; and they sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
    His sons went and held a feast in the house of each one on his birthday; and they sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

Young's Literal Translation
    And his sons have gone and made a banquet -- the house of each in his day -- and have sent and called to their three sisters to eat and to drink with them;

New International Version (©1984)
    After this, Job opened his mouth and cursed the day of his birth.

New Living Translation (©2007)
    At last Job spoke, and he cursed the day of his birth.

English Standard Version (©2001)
    After this Job opened his mouth and cursed the day of his birth.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
    Afterward Job opened his mouth and cursed the day of his birth.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
    After this opened Job his mouth, and cursed his day.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
    After all this, Job [finally] opened his mouth and cursed the day he was born.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)

American King James Version

American Standard Version

Douay-Rheims Bible
    After this Job opened his mouth, and cursed his day,

Darby Bible Translation
    After this, Job opened his mouth and cursed his day.

English Revised Version

Webster's Bible Translation
    After this Job opened his mouth, and cursed his day.

World English Bible
    After this Job opened his mouth, and cursed the day of his birth.

Young's Literal Translation
    After this hath Job opened his mouth, and revileth his day.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

1984 NIV Bible -

Deuteronomy 4:1-2 1 Hear now, O Israel, the decrees and laws I am about to teach you. Follow them so that you may live and may go in and take possession of the land that the LORD, the God of your fathers, is giving you. 2 Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you.

Deuteronomy 5:22 These are the commandments the LORD proclaimed in a loud voice to your whole assembly there on the mountain from out of the fire, the cloud and the deep darkness; and he added nothing more. Then he wrote them on two stone tablets and gave them to me.

Obviously the GB did not get the memo from God that Moses gave to the Israelites. I guess, the education that the WTBTS gives to all JWs and JWs are so proud of isn't worth the (Watchtower and Awake!) paper that it is written on.

Birthdays are not bad unless a JW belongs to a dangerous cult and that wants to keep JWs too busy distributing literature to think and have fun.

Peace to you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• biometrics
    biometrics

I can prove birthday celebrations are forbidden by the Watchtower Society.

Birthday celebration == DF'd

Now. Can someone prove the Watcthower society has authority from the bible?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I don't doubt you, but I've yet to hear of one, that is a df'd person for celebrating it. I suppose by the time a person is celebrating bday's, they are already way out of the cult and likely to get df'd something else

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Wha Happened, I was once told of a man turned in to the elders by his wife for sending his non-JW son a birthday card. When called to the back by the elders, this man challenged the elder to show him a scripture that it was worng to do. He ended up getting dfed- however I am wondering if the elders instead pursued it as charges of causing divisions/apostasy? I could see elders very easily taking that route by asking you if the WT is in error on this if you would be willing to wait on Jehovah to make the changes thru his channel.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Isaacaustin said,

"I could see elders very easily taking that route by asking you if the WT is in error on this if you would be willing to wait on Jehovah to make the changes thru his channel.

Doesn't that twisted logic just make you sick?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit