Your FIRST reaction to these words:

by belbab 33 Replies latest jw friends

• thewiz
    thewiz

Think about it, for what reason would God or Jesus have to lie? I feel it will come true, but when?

Right now I guess you might say, I'm on the wrong side of the fence.

• Xander
    Xander

wiz, you're asking the wrong question...

Correct question...

What reason would a founder of church have to claim god himself or god's representative talked to him and told him that the end was coming and only members of this newly formed church would be saved?

Hmmmmm...I wonder....what *possible* motive.....

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • Nicolas
    Nicolas

The question is why should we trust an organization who associate itself with the evil UN? What is wrong with an organization who said that a religion who tell lie can't be true but, during this time they are praticing fornication with the UN? lol.

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

The strangest thing about the jw-dub is that they see what is happening in the others sect like "The Church of Scientology" but they can't see that they are living in the same kind of cult. I watched a report on T.V about the tragedy of Jonestown and the leader was doing exactly the samething than what I've seen in the WBTS despite the fact that the JW aren't forced to drink a poison.

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Belbab: I am not sure just which translation you are using, because even the NWT does not word it that way. The AV says,

Matt 24:14, "And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come."

Simple Christian theology states that the Gospel (Good News) is speard throughout the earth prior to the end. The Scripture does not say how long a time frame the Good News will be preached. It does not say that each and every person will be reached. Nor does it say what the duration is between the completion of the preaching and when the "end" arrives. It is very open-ended as it has always been. Finally, it does not say who preaches nor how the Good News is preached.

Given we are about 2000 years from the time these words were written, and Christianity has been spread planet-wide for a long time, even prior to the arrival of the JWs ... then I am left to wonder about the significance of the end coming.

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

<------Hurling

Dana

• patio34
    patio34

My stomach gave a bit of a lurch . . .

WTBS: Quit peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining.
  • Adonai438
    Adonai438

First reaction huh?
    "Amen."
    I'm from the unpopular point of view that God is still there, truth still exists, and we have our choice to make. Hurl if ya like , but truth is truth . Bu-Bye----<>< Angie

• belbab
    belbab

I have been out of the Org for three decades. I was disfellowshipped for questioning the orgs doctrines. For a long time I could not read the Bible, without having a JW slant on much of it. I was reborn out of the Watchtower and booted out into isolation along with my afterbirth, that is all the false brain washings that still clung to my thought processes. For a long time my answers were similar to all of yours if I had been asked my reaction to the principal text that JWs use.

My reaction to this text would have been, groooooooaaaaannnnn!
    Because I have always been a shy person, door to door work was a huge effort for me. It finally wore me down to breakdown.

If something is good news why would it take effort? Good news spreads by itself, it does not require effort, organization, literature and all the rest. It spreads like wild fire, the Canadian hockey team just won over Belarus and is headed for the gold cup match. Way to go Canada. No effort, see.

Amazing Your post has brought something very interesting to the fore. You ask what translation? It IS from the NWT, the only NWT I have is published in 1963. The NWT translation came out in five volumes from 1953 to 1960. Then they combined those five volume into one big fat green book which is the one I have. I also have a The Interlinear Translation which does not have the same reading and was published in 1969.

Does anyone one have the latest version and can print the text out here? My reaction to this latest discovery, is oh shit, not again.

More comments later.

belbab

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Angie,

You said:

I'm from the unpopular point of view that God is still there, truth still exists, and we have our choice to make. Hurl if ya like , but truth is truth
    I have no difficulty in accepting other's beliefs and I won't argue the point about god's existence, although I don't share it. As you say, we all make our own choices. As for the hurling, thank you! Don't mind if I do. Kind of hard not to after having that particular scripture used as a stick to goad me into knocking on doors and trying to force *MY* particular belief system down the throats of others for the majority of my life thus far.

As for truth....oh, never mind!

Dana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit