1998AWAKE PUBLISHED FOR UNITED NATIONS CONSUMPTION

by MadApostate 42 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

How the UN policed it?

Oh might I suggest you go back and read that essay by that fellow at the plowbitch69 site.

In it you will find a reference to what DPI calls an "annual accreditation form". I think you will see the example of the year 2001 form.

The UN requires that you provide all your work you have done to either be mailed to them or listed in an annual report and submitted to them along with the "annual accrediataion form". Failure to do so means a "disassociation" by the UN's DPI committee.

hawk

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Oh, I was getting the impression that that was a fairly new addition - because I am unable to find much evidence of 'pro-UN' stuff from the early 90s. It was mostly really tiny blurbs about 'the UN's year of this or that' in amongst their regular programming. I guess they may have cut 'n pasted those short blurbs to submnit to the UN. I still cannot fathom why the huge full pro-UN Awake mag in 98 ....

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Name:

There's all kinds of good stuff going on with this AWAKE issue, but it's up to us to try to uncover some of it.

First, there is likely significance in the fact that copies of the feature article were sent in these languages:

English, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Japanese

Why not Spanish, Portugese, or any number of other prominent languages?

Are these countries where at the time there were ongoing PR, Legal, or other problems?

What initiate this "PR" AWAKE? Something that happened prior or something anticipated?

On and on...

I don't know the answer to these questions,

BUTTTT

something is "SPECIAL" about this AWAKE ISSUE.

The fact that NO FEEDBACK was ever published on this Issue, EXCEPT on the "fluff" articles, PROVES TO ME that something happened at Brooklyn after the Issue was published.

Everyone knows that the WTS has always manipulated FEEDBACK printed as "QFR" in the WT, or "FOR" in the AWAKE. The fact that NO FEEDBACK was ever published re the THEME ARTICLES would seem to indicate a
    serious split, otherwise SOMETHING would have been pub'ed, even if it was only "thank you" letters.

IT WOULD REALLY BE HELPFUL IF SOMEONE WITH THE CDROM WOULD POST THE VARIOUS ARTICLES, OR HOPEFULLY AT LEAST THE LAST SUBHEADING FROM PAGES 13-14.

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

OK, so I'm a stupid ass. What's new?

Here are "easily-read" scans of the Issue from Front Cover through page 14.

. http://www.geocities.com/plowbitch69/awake_1998.html

It would still be nice if someone would post the text from the Russia and France articles.

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

MA, hope any of this helps

Some of it is just random stuff but its all dealing with November 1998

*** km 2/99 2 Theocratic News *** "In spite of opposition, the brothers in France persevere in their Kingdom preaching. In November and December, a campaign to draw the country’s attention to the Bible was centered on a special distribution of the brochure A Book for All People. About 50 Bethelites have moved from France to Britain to help with printing and shipping operations at the branch, while the remaining 250 members of the France Bethel family and the brothers in the field continue to serve joyfully under normal conditions."

Here’s the literature offer for November:

*** km 10/98 7 Announcements ***
    November: Knowledge That Leads to Everlasting Life. December: Knowledge That Leads to Everlasting Life with the New World Translation.

Below is interesting comment regarding Nov 22, 1998

*** w98 12/1 18 Defending Our Faith ***
    After the slanderous article was published in the Russian newspaper (mentioned in paragraph 15), Jehovah’s Witnesses appealed to the Russian Federation Presidential Judicial Chamber for Media Disputes with a request to review the false charges made in the article. Recently the court issued a decision that castigated the newspaper for printing the libelous article.—See Awake!, November 22, 1998, pages 26-7.

Here’s paragraph 15 as mentioned above

*** w98 12/1 17-18 Defending Our Faith ***
    15 At times, Jehovah’s Witnesses have been the target of distorted information in the media. For example, on August 1, 1997, a Russian newspaper published a slanderous article claiming, among other things, that Witnesses categorically require members to ‘reject their wives, husbands, and parents if these do not understand and do not share their faith.’ Anyone who is truly acquainted with Jehovah’s Witnesses knows that the charge is false. The Bible indicates that Christians are to treat unbelieving family members with love and respect, and Witnesses endeavor to follow that direction. (1 Corinthians 7:12-16; 1 Peter 3:1-4) Even so, the article was printed, and many readers were thus misinformed. How can we defend our faith when we are falsely accused?
    16 Here again, there is “a time to keep quiet and a time to speak.” The Watchtower once expressed it this way: “Whether we ignore false information in the media or defend the truth by appropriate means depends on the circumstances, the instigator of the criticism, and his goal.” In some cases it may be best to ignore negative reports, thus not giving further publicity to the lies.
    17 In other cases it may be “a time to speak.” A responsible journalist or reporter may have been misinformed about Jehovah’s Witnesses and may welcome truthful information about us. (See box “Correcting a Misrepresentation.”) If negative reports in the media arouse prejudice that hinders our preaching work, representatives of the branch office of the Watch Tower Society may take the initiative to defend the truth by some suitable means. For example, qualified elders might be assigned to present the facts, as in a TV program, where failure to appear might imply that Jehovah’s Witnesses have no answer. Individual Witnesses wisely cooperate with the direction of the Watch Tower Society and its representatives in such matters.—Hebrews 13:17.

Here’s the comments from readers regarding the Nov 22 Awake:

*** g99 7/22 30 From Our Readers ***
    Youths Without Parents I am deeply grateful for the article “Young People Ask . . . Why Must I Live Without My Parents?” (November 22, 1998) I am now 39 years old. But when I was 11, my mother died and my father left home. Until now I have never been able to get people to understand the miserable lives my brothers and I lived. But now I feel that others understand us. Thank you.
    K. Y., Japan
    My father died when I was just nine months old, and my mother, before I was 12 years old. Your article was very comforting and showed how orphans really feel. How good it is to know that Jehovah will bring our dead loved ones back to life!
    M. S. S., Brazil
    I am 40 years old and have read and reread the article. I had tears in my eyes from beginning to end, since I was orphaned when I was two. Until now, I could not look at a picture of Mom and Dad without crying. Thank you for writing such articles!
    J. C. V., France
    My parents are alive, but I’m manic-depressive (bipolar) and interested in any article that discusses how to get through hard times. I just want to tell you that I love the real-life experiences and Bible-based counsel found in “Young People Ask . . .”

*** g99 8/8 30 From Our Readers ***
    Hand Washing I am 11 and want to thank you for the article “Wash and Dry Your Hands!” (November 22, 1998) It encouraged me to wash my hands before eating and after using the toilet. In my town, infections are common, so the article was very useful.
    M. F., Italy
    Simple Pleasures Thank you for the “Watching the World” item “Children Prefer Simple Pleasures.” (November 22, 1998) I live apart from my children, and I am allowed to see them only once every three months. I didn’t know what to do when we spent time together, so I would do a lot of planning, fearing that they would get bored. Right before our day together arrived, I read this item. It came at exactly the right time!
    M. Y., Japan

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Thanks Mad, this is good stuff. Very interesting. Yes, I do beleive that the whole UN thing could have been a cause of contention amongst the heavies at Bethel - I'm sure some of them didn't approve ...

• anewperson
    anewperson

Now easily reveal the UN scandal in your areas and nations. Mail copies, leave in laundrymats say on the boards there, inside magazines (even Awakes, WTs that get left in laundrymats) in library books, discretely left about in Kingdom Halls and conventions etc. Here's a handy flyer:

SHOCKING FACTS TOLD OUT OF LOVE TO THE CONGREGATION & PUBLIC: The Watchtower Society (WTS) over Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) cover up child molestation & let pedophiles go door-to-door http://www.silentlambs.org. They say God opposes the UN but, until exposed, in 1991-2001 were a formal UN associate not just to use the UN's library as proved if you will read the Nov 22, 1998 Awake magazine closely & http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/materials/articles.htm for the 2nd entry there. 1 Cor 6:1 only says judge "trivial" things as in business, James 2:4-13 calls judging harmful, & Paul says the "majority" (2 Cor 2:6) followed his advice to shun a wrongdoer, meaning a minority chose not to & yet he nowhere condemns them, yet the WTS has formal Judicial Committes destroying families via numerous formal renderings of disfellowshipment (shunning).

Acts 15:20 says abstain from blood but 1 Sam 14:32-5 says Saul's army ate unBLED meat to not starve & no verses show God not forgiving them. Christ says God also forgave David's eating temple holy bread & that God wants Mercy Not Sacrifice. (Mt 12) The May 22, 1994 Awake tells of 26 JW kids who died without transfusions, & by common sense in massive bleeding as in car wrecks blood expanders won't save lives http://www.ajwrb.org. About 3 JWs die daily earthwide from the unscriptural policy! (Blood On The Altar by David Reed) Why must anyone be endangered? JWs can form nonWTS groups united by LOVE, join another group or decrease donations & support to the WTS. Please make & use copies of this for years ahead. It was written out of love for our JW families & friends as well as the public's - yours too!

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Was the archiving of the Awake, November 22,1998 at the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights of any significance/consquence?

SEE THIS!!!

Informal Sector Service Center (INSEC) was founded in 1988 in order to cater human right services to the grass roots people and general public. INSEC is an independent, non-profit-making and non-partisan human rights organisation. It is based in Kathmandu and has branches in all regional centres of Nepal.

INSEC has developed working relations with various governmental, inter-governmental and non-governmental organisations.

Governmental Organisations: Jails, Local Administration, Police, Courts, Parliament, DANIDA, NORAD, SIDA etc.

Inter-governmental Organisations: Particularly UN Agencies like ILO, Unicef, Committee on the Arbitrary Detention, Working Group on Contemporary Forms of Slavery, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Non-governmental: Asian Regional Resource Centre for Human Rights Education, Asian Monitor Resource Centre, Asian Students Association, Asian Cultural Forum On Development (ACFOD), Asian Forum on Human Rights and Development (Forum Asia), South Asian Forum for Huan Rights, Penal International Movement Against All Forms of Discrimination (IMADR), Centre for Communication and Development, Achan, Corso, World Council of Churches, Anti-Slavery International, UN Human Rights Centre, etc.

This URL goes to Chapter 2, "Fiftieth Year of UDHR (Universal Declaration of Human Rights)", in INSEC's Human Rights Yearbook -1999.

. http://www.hri.ca/partners/insec/Yb1999/Ch_2.shtml

Here are the footnote citations for Chapter 2. Note what is used as a reference source five times.

References and Notes:

1. Awake, November 22,1998
    2. Shaw, Malcolm N. 1997. International Human Rights Law. Cambridge
    3. Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. 1998. Human Rights Manual. Australia
    4. World Book Encyclopedia, B Vol. 2
    5. World Book Encyclopedia, B Vol. 2
    6. Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. 1998. Human Rights Manual. Australia
    7. Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. 1998. Human Rights Manua. Australia; World Book
    Encyclopedia
    8. Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. 1998. Human Rights Manual. Australia
    9. The Charter of the United Nations
    10. United Nations. 1997. Image and Reality
    11. Human Rights the New Consensus (1994). Regency Press, UK
    12. "Awake", November 22, 1998
    13. "Awake", November 22, 1998
    14. "Awake", November 22, 1998
    15. "Awake", November 22, 1998

16. Universal Declaration of Human Rights
    17. Asia Watch. 1989. Human Rights Violation in Nepal. New Work
    18. Sever, Adrian. 1996. Aspects of Modern Nepalese History. VIKAS, India
    19. Asia Watch. 1989. Human Rights Violation in Nepal. New Work
    20. The Constitution of the Kingdom of Nepal, 1990
    21. INSEC. Human Rights Year Book 1996/1997. Kathmandu, Nepal
    22. Human Rights Internet. I998. Nepal Treaties and Reports to Treaty Bodies. Canada (Taken from HRI
    Internet)
    23. NESAC. 1998. Nepal Human Development Report. Kathmandu
    24. Seddon, David. 1995 (Reprint). Nepal a State of Poverty. Vikas, India
    25. Chomsky, Noam. 1998. "Market Democracy..." in INFORMAL, Vol. 8, No.1
    26. Human Rights the New Consensus (1994). Regency Press, UK
    27. Robinson, Marry. 1998. in "Human Rights Message", Sweden
    28. "Link", Vol. 6, No. 3, June 1998, Achan, Madras
    29. Dube, SC. 1992. Understanding Change. VIKAS, India
    30. Chomsky. Noam. 1999. From an interview pulished in "Front Line", January 15, 1999. India
    31. Sinar,Shirin. Just Commentary No. 19. Malaysia
    32. Amnesty International. 1998. United States of America Rights for All. London
    33. Korten, David C. 1995/1996. When Corporation Rules the World. USA
    34. Hancock, Kancock. 1989. Lords of Poverty. UK
    35. Korten, David C. 1995/1996. When Corporation Rules the World. USA
    36. Dube, SC. 1992. Understanding Change. VIKAS, India

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

AWAKE
    November 22, 1998
    Pages 19-22

The Edict of Nantes
    A Charter for Tolerance?

THIS crucifies me," protested Pope Clement VIII, in 1598, upon hearing of the signing of the Edict of Nantes by Henry IV, king of France. Four hundred years later, instead of arousing resentment and opposition, the edict is celebrated as an act of tolerance and one of the important steps toward guaranteeing religious rights for all. What was the Edict of Nantes? Was it really a charter for tolerance? And what can we learn from it today?

War-Torn Europe

Sixteenth-century Europe was characterized by intolerance and bloody religious wars. "Never before the 16th century had the teaching of Christ, 'Have love among yourselves,' been so ridiculed by his followers," observes one historian. Some countries, such as Spain and England, ruthlessly hounded religious minorities. Others, like Germany, adopted the principle of "Cuius regio, eius religio," meaning that the one governing a territory decided its religion. Any who disagreed with the ruler's religious choice were forced to leave the area. War was avoided by keeping religions apart, with little or no attempt at religious coexistence.

France chose a different path. Geographically, it lay between northern Europe, which was predominantly Protestant, and southern Europe, which was Catholic. By the mid-1500's, Protestants had become a significant minority in this Catholic country. A series of religious wars accentuated this division.* Numerous peace treaties, or 'Edicts to Pacify the Troubles,' as they were called, failed to bring about peaceful religious coexistence. Why did France choose a path of tolerance rather than imitate its European neighbors?

Politics of Peace

The idea that peace and religious disunity were not necessarily incompatible developed despite widespread intolerance. Generally speaking, at that time the question of religious faith was inseparable from civil allegiance. Was it possible to be French and not belong to the Catholic Church? Evidently, some thought it was. In 1562, Michel de l'Hospital, a French statesman, wrote: "Even he who is excommunicated does not cease from being a citizen." A Catholic group known as Les Politiques (The Politicals) argued along similar lines.

The unsuccessful peace treaties that were signed in France enshrined some of these new ideas. They also promoted the notion that forgetting the past was a way of building the future. For instance, the Edict of Boulogne, of 1573, said: "Let all the things that took place . . . rest dead and dulled as though they did not happen."

France had a lot to forget. Before Henry IV became king in 1589, the most durable peace treaty had lasted only eight years. France was suffering economically and socially. Internal stability was vitally needed. Henry IV was no stranger to either religion or politics. He had switched between Protestantism and Catholicism on a number of occasions. After securing peace with the Spanish in 1597 and finally quelling internal dissent in 1598, he was in a position to impose a peace settlement on both the Protestants and the Catholics. In 1598, after France had suffered over 30 years of religious war, King Henry IV signed the Edict of Nantes.

"A Bill of Rights à la Française"

The Edict of Nantes that Henry signed was made up of four basic texts, including the principal text made up of 92 or 95 articles and the 56 secret, or "particular," articles dealing with Protestant rights and obligations. Previous peace treaties formed the basic structure of the agreement, providing two thirds of the articles. Unlike previous treaties, however, this edict took a long time to prepare. Its exceptional length can be explained by the fact that it sorted out problems blow by blow, giving it the appearance of a do-it-yourself compromise. What were some of the rights it accorded?

The edict granted French Protestants total freedom of conscience. They were also given the status of a respected minority with rights and privileges. One of the secret articles even assured them of protection against the Inquisition when traveling abroad. In addition, Protestants were given the same civil status as Catholics and could hold State jobs. Was the edict, though, really a charter for tolerance?

How Tolerant an Edict?

Considering the way religious minorities were treated in other countries, the Edict of Nantes was "a document of rare political wisdom," says historian Elisabeth Labrousse. Henry's ultimate desire was to see Protestants return to the Catholic fold. In the meantime, religious coexistence was a compromise—the only way "all our subjects can pray and worship God," Henry said.

In reality, the edict favored Catholicism, which was proclaimed the dominant religion and was to be restored throughout the kingdom. Protestants had to pay the Catholic tithe and respect Catholic holidays and restrictions regarding marriage. Protestant freedom of worship was limited to specified geographic areas. The edict dealt only with Protestant and Catholic coexistence. Other religious minorities were not included. Muslims, for instance, were expelled from France in 1610. Despite its limited view of tolerance, why is the edict celebrated today?

Important Consequences

Chronicles of the time made little reference to the edict. Historians call it a "nonevent." However, it is now considered a masterpiece of political diplomacy. The edict called Protestantism a religion, as opposed to a heresy. Recognizing a religion other than Catholicism opened the way for religious pluralism. According to one historian, this "had the effect of purging French passions of the fanaticism that stalked Protestants as much as Catholics." The edict recognized that religion was not the determining factor in loyalty to the State or national identity. In addition, criminal activity, not religious affiliation, became the criterion for legal action. These ideas reflected even greater changes.

In signing the edict, King Henry was mainly concerned about civil unity. To ensure this, the edict separated civil unity from religious unity. "It started a process of secularization . . . , the recognition that nation and confession were no longer synonymous," observes one historian. While the Catholic Church kept a measure of power, the power of the State was greatly strengthened. The monarch was to be arbiter in times of conflict. Political or legal solutions to religious problems meant that politics had mastery over religion. That is why one historian calls the edict "the triumph of political power over the Church's role." Another says that it "marked a decisive moment in the emergence of the modern State."

Relevance Today

Some of the paths mapped out by the Edict of Nantes were later adopted by other governments. In time, many countries redefined the relationship between religion and politics, putting the State's authority on a new footing. In France the path that was eventually chosen (in 1905) was complete separation of Church and State. According to Jean Baubérot, a noted professor of history and sociology, this arrangement is "the best protection for minorities" in a climate of increasing intolerance. Other countries, while clinging to a State religion, have chosen to guarantee freedom of religion and ensure equal treatment for all in their constitutions.

Many today, however, think that progress can still be made in protecting religious freedom. "The Edict of Nantes is commemorated once a century and transgressed the rest of the time," laments journalist Alain Duhamel. Some informed commentators, for instance, highlight the intolerance of excluding others by arbitrarily labeling all minority religions "sects." Learning to live together in peace and without prejudice was indeed a vital lesson to be learned 400 years ago. But the lesson is still relevant today.

Issues at Stake

Freedom of worship does not exist when authorities arbitrarily favor some religions and not others. In France, some administrations grant Jehovah's Witnesses the status of religion, while others do not. Paradoxically, a lay State is defining what is a religion and what is not. This procedure starts with discrimination and leads to persecution. Furthermore, "it may also establish a precedent which can spread to various countries and various religious associations," says Raimo Ilaskivi, a member of the European Parliament. That is why law lecturer Jean-Marc Florand concludes: "It's a bad blow for France and the exercise of freedoms. As a Catholic, that really worries me." History can teach lessons, though, to those willing to learn.

At a recent United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization conference, a speaker argued that "one of the ways of celebrating the Edict of Nantes is to think about the status of religions in our time." Indeed, the Edict of Nantes can best be commemorated by making sure that real freedom of worship is protected for all!

* See Awake!, April 22, 1997, pages 3-9.

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

AWAKE
    November 22, 1998
    Page 20 (Box)

RELIGIOUS FREEDOM IN FRANCE TODAY

Lessons from the past are sometimes forgotten. When arguing in favor of the Edict of Nantes, Henry IV declared: "No more should distinction be made between Catholic and Huguenot." Jean-Marc Florand, senior law lecturer at the Paris-XII University, explains in the French newspaper Le Figaro that in France, since 1905, "the law places all religions, beliefs, and sects on an equal footing." Discrimination and prejudice should be things of the past.

Ironically, in 1998, the year marking the fourth centennial of the Edict of Nantes, its lesson—that freedom of religion and equal treatment should be guaranteed for all citizens—has apparently been forgotten. Jehovah's Witnesses, the third-largest Christian religious community in France, have practiced their religion there for almost one hundred years. Nevertheless, a French parliamentary report denied that Jehovah's Witnesses are a legitimate religion. As a consequence, some French authorities routinely discriminate against Jehovah's Witnesses when it comes to their liberties. For example, in child-custody disputes, French judges often question whether parents who are Jehovah's Witnesses should be allowed to retain the custody of their children. These questions are raised merely because of the parents' religious affiliation. Also, because they are Jehovah's Witnesses, some foster parents are increasingly at risk of losing the children that are in their care.

Recently, French authorities have been threatening to impose an arbitrary tax on the contributions that Jehovah's Witnesses make to their congregations. According to the nongovernmental organization Human Rights Without Frontiers, this is a "dangerous precedent" that violates resolutions passed by the European Court of Human Rights. Indeed, the European Union guarantees religious freedom. Jehovah's Witnesses have been repeatedly recognized by the European Court as a "known religion," making the action by some French authorities even more difficult to understand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit