1998AWAKE PUBLISHED FOR UNITED NATIONS CONSUMPTION

by MadApostate 42 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

I'd love to scan the CD(s) if I could ...

I'm trying to figure out what articles/info they submitted to the UN in the original application to prove they were 'disiminating information about the UN's programs"? There were very short blurbs here and there over the early 90s but nothing like that 1998 Awake. I wonder what changed that required them to produce such a huge article(s) about the UN? I wonder if the UN came down on them for not doing more in the UN's service?

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Namewithheld,

At http://www.geocities.com/plowbitch69/

You might notice an essay that was done by a young fellow (okay he is 40).

This fellow references a 1994 brochure. Note: http://www.geocities.com/plowbitch69/1994ngodpibrochure.html

Go read the criteria in the 1994 brochure

You may notice that they never had to submit any documents to DPI with their application back then. Instead the criteria required an NGO to show their SUPPORT to the UN by distributing favourable UN articles for at least 2 years after accreditation.

In my mind this criteria was even worse then, than it is now becuasr the WTS was voluntarily agreeing to show SUPPORT to the entire UN by distributing doctuments.

hawk

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Interesting Hawk. So they had to agree to distribute UN documents!? Meaning they had to pass out UN printed docs OR include actual UN text in WT documents? Very interesting!!!!!

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

As the criteria says .... they had to show SUPPORT to the UN by "featuring U.N. information in their publications and outreach activites".

hawk

p.s - it wasn't they "had to". The VOLUNTARILY AGREED to do this.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Hmmmm. So they did it 'voluntarily', but did not have to prove to the UN that they were doing so. But somewhere down the line the UN wanted proof from them (or ALL NGO's?) that they were living up to their end of the bargan?

• messenger
    messenger

After reviewing the 98-99 KM's I find no direct reference to the UN Awake. The closest would be the 10-98 Km which states under announcements on the week of the 19th:

"10 min: Local announcements. Review talking points in the latest issues of the magazines. Relate experiences from the 1997 yearbook, page 45, and Oct. 22, 1996, Awake!, page 32. Encourage all to share in the magazine distribution this weekend."

This is a tiny bit different as I did not find any other announcements worded this way. Yet it does not appear to be what you are looking for.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I think you got it. Go read the criteria and the application process:

There was a lot that was involved such as they did voluntarily agree to share the ideals of the UN etc.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    I'm really beginning to doubt your research skills. :)

You mean to tell me that out of all the HUMAN RIGHTS THEME ARTICLES, including those re the WTS's problems in Russia and France, that all the FEEDBACK for this ISSUE that you could find were 4 LETTERS regarding the "Young People Ask" article, 1 LETTER re the short "Washing Hands" article, and 1 LETTER re one of the "Watching the World" blurps?

Surely, you are missing all the FEEDBACK regarding ALL THE REALLY IMPORTANT ARTICLES FROM THAT ISSUE?

Ah ha! My thick skull just got the heavy sarcasm that's dripping from Mad's post. - Funny - all that 'good news' about the UN's wonderful human rights programs AND NOT ONE LETTER about it .... hmmmmmmmmmmm

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Now you are gettin it.

hawk

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Hawk, I find it interesting the importance the UN placed on the NGO having the capability to distribute UN information - books, mags, radio, TV, etc. Obviously it was easy for the WTBTS to say "Look at all the mags we print" to point out how they could diseminate UN information. But I don't see how the UN policed the ACTUAL doing so of the NGOs. Maybe the 1998 article was in response to some critizism of the WTBTS of failing to live up to their end of the bargan, so the UN said "Put up or shut up".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit