Should marijuana be considered a disfellowshipping offense?

by Celestial 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

If it is prescribed by a doctor, then there is just the issue of smoking it. The elders could argue that if someone sees you smoking it, then there is the issue that it might stumble someone. Others may not know that you are doing it legally.

If you did it under a doctor's care and didn't flaunt it, I can't see how it would be a DF offense. However, if there was another way of taking it in (in a pill, salad or something) then there could be the argument that it is doing more harm to your body (lungs) than just taking a pill.

In the end, it depends on whether the elders are out to get you and/or you flaunt it.

Rub a Dub

• designs
    designs

I wonder if some from Mexico could weigh in on this, I have heard that Marijuana is given as a standard treatment for asthma and other lung disorders in Mexico. (smoking it)

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I watched a documentary on marijuana once. It said Nixon was recorded to have said that his biggest fear over the use of it was that young people were gathering in groups, being rebellious and discussing IDEAS---and finding they disagreed with the establishment.

Now if there is any truth to this, it's easy to understand why this would freak out the GB. It wouldn't be good for followers to lower their inhibitions and allow their minds to travel forbidden roads. Not good at all.

NC

• designs
    designs

Great way to study the Watchtower...maybe the only way

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Hmmmmmm passing a WT around an illegal circle---has possibilites----and if all else fails, the paper is kind of thin. . .

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

My angry response is, if child molestation, spousal abuse, murder etc are not a DF offense, why should smoking a doobie be a DF offense. But then again, trying to make sense of this organization with both eyes open, just gives me a headache. haha.

My non angry response is, if it's illegal, sure. If it does become legal, just don't smoke it, brownies anyone?

• designs
    designs

In LA you can get just about any Dr. to give you a prescription medical pot. I wonder how Elders deal with a Doctor's order.

• Celestial
    Celestial

I watched a documentary on marijuana once. It said Nixon was recorded to have said that his biggest fear over the use of it was that young people were gathering in groups, being rebellious and discussing IDEAS---and finding they disagreed with the establishment.

Now if there is any truth to this, it's easy to understand why this would freak out the GB. It wouldn't be good for followers to lower their inhibitions and allow their minds to travel forbidden roads. Not good at all.

NC

The "war on drugs" was initiated by Nixon in 1971 largely because of the hippie movement. Then Nixon initiated the DEA in 1973.

He waged one war in Vietnam and one war at home against the peace-loving rebels the government spawned in retaliation to that war.

I haven't smoked any weed since 1989 (I'm 38) which is actually a good thing, because I likely wouldn't be where I am now if I did, career wise.

Most adults with phenomenal mental-health don't contemplate the use of mind-altering chemicals. It's not related to the congregation, but I've encountered some things recently that had an adverse effect on me that brought back to mind some of my past experiences.

• jws
    jws

When I was a JW I remember reading about how marijuana affects you. I forget all the technical details, but remember the comparison. They said something to the effect that there were receptors and it was kind of like a lock and key. Marijuana, the key, was the only known substance to unlock a particular "lock" within our bodies and affect us.

I remember thinking at the time that if this is true, and God created us, then God intended for us to be able to use pot. Maybe for medicinal purposes, maybe for recreation purposes, but if God created every detail, he created the ability for pot to affect us.

Now I know better with evolution, but if you believe in God, you can't be against, at the very least, medicinal marijuana.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

oh my! the list of disfellowshipping offenses it is so important.. too... them because they KNOW what JEHOVAH wants...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit