Should marijuana be considered a disfellowshipping offense?

by Celestial 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• finally awake
    finally awake

I don't think marijuana should be illegal, nor should its use be a DFing offense. But I'm a dirty hippie at heart, even though I've been drug free for well over a decade.

• Celestial
    Celestial

I don't think marijuana should be illegal, nor should its use be a DFing offense. But I'm a dirty hippie at heart, even though I've been drug free for well over a decade.

Well, I've been drug-free since '89. I just experimented with drugs. I was never a “junkie.”

I was raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses and had this incessant urge to party with the “worldly” kids at school at the age of sixteen.

That's all I knew is what I was taught as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I know quite a few young people raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses that went crazy on their parents. That's what happens when you keep someone in a cage for too long. They become attracted to the wrong crowd.

True story: the sixth time I did acid, when I came home from a party, I started looking at some Watchtower and Awake! magazines and went on a bad trip. I started seeing hallucinations of armageddon and destruction. It was the most terrifying thing I ever experienced.

It was just a drug induced illusion that seemed real at the time. It's actually pretty funny when I look back on it because I frantically told my parents about my experience that morning and they freaked out and called the elders. As I was coming down off acid, I had the elders telling me I was bringing Satan into the house by using drugs.

• flipper
    flipper

Look, marijuana is actually just a plant. It's medicinal , it soothes cancer patients, and is less harmful than alcohol. It should NOT be a disfellowshipping offense, but it has been considered a disfellowshipping offense for years. Like New Chapter and others said - the WT society's fears are the same as the federal governments fears - it opens up people's minds to other options and makes them think in terms of freedom, which neither the feds nor the WT society want people doing. Also, in edition the WT society uses that stupid scripture in Corinthians about "defiling " your body and opening the mind up to " demons " - allegedly - so the WT society can put FEAR into JW's telling them they'll catch " demons " if they use weed. It's SO ridiculous .

WT society is so paranoid about JW's thinking freely , so ANYTHING that makes them think freely, the Internet, marijuana, college - they will DEMONIZE those things in order to keep control of JW members. And THAT in essence is the WT society's ultimate goal. That, and making lots of $$$ off of JW's

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

You might find this letter interseting. Check out the forth paragraph.

Bangalore

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

Do a search on "Cannabis in the Bible" . . . you may be shocked (or not) by what evidence there is that cannabis was a major ingedient in annointing oils, incense etc . .

Alot of those guys in the Bible were high . .

• finally awake
    finally awake

In reference to Bangalores letter - Holy Crap! I distinctly remember reading something in a Watchtower about how a person must go to the authorities and turn himself in if he has committed a crime.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Aside the fact that it is illegal, and that drug driving is dangerous, there should be no disfellowshipping action. Even if smoking weed did cause the same lung problems that tobacco does, as long as precautions are taken to prevent second-hand smoke from reaching others, it is your lungs, your brain, and your liver. Taking drugs will ruin your brain and your liver (and that goes for the psychiatric drugs you get from your doctor as much as for street drugs).

In fact, I believe that weed is safer than many pharmaceutical drugs. Regardless of the cures it may or may not effect, smoking weed does provide relief from various problems. As such, using it for that purpose should be regarded as no worse than using a pharmaceutical for the same thing. And for people dying of cancer or in severe pain, the fact that it ruins the brain and the liver shouldn't even be a worry since dying also ruins your brain and your liver.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    That was the word I received recently. Prescription and no smoking means they can't touch you

Why in the world would they care if a person SMOKED it, or if they baked it into brownies?

Well, we all really know the answer to that, don't we? Because SMOKING TOBACCO is a DF offense for no biblical reason except that they said so. Therefore, smoking pot is guilt by association.

So, should the good JW take this to mean it is now OK to dip snuff or chew tobacco (to medicinally calm his nerves, of course) so long as you don't light up a Marleboro?

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

its just a plant man....put it in a batch of brownies or vaporize it.

smoking anything is unhealthy for your lungs.

more importantly...be really careful because it could open your mind up to demonic influences which is even worse. hehe..j/k

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I agree on the no smoking part. It's not just the tar and other chemicals that damage lungs, you're also breathing in CO. Also by burning the plant, you lose about 30% of it. I vape on occasion when I can't sleep.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit