Las Malvinas AKA The Falkland Islands - why the argy-bargy?

by cedars 319 Replies latest members politics

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Are the Argentinian troops any more willing to fight now as in the previous conflict? as from what I remember from the 80s is that the Argenenian soldiers really weren't that interested in fighting.

That was very true of the Argentinian ground forces. Their Air Force fought a tough, determined war with greatly inferior equipment.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

One point, of course, is that during the Falklands War (or Conflict!) is that the Argentinian forces were largely conscripts and the UK forces are entirely volunteer professional military. It does make a difference.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Are Argentinian ground forces still conscripts these days? Or is it all volunteer now?

• cedars
    cedars

Here's one hollywood star who should really stick to his acting and steer well clear of politics.

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16169237

It's a shame that actors like Penn can drop crucial principles of democracy such as the right to self-determination on a whim (and to apparently ingratiate himself with politicians) - especially when his own country fought so famously for this very right in the american revolution.

Sean - here's a little tip. Next time you take sides in a conflict regarding the sovereignty of any territory - first check on how the citizens of the territory in question feel about the issue.

Cedars

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Sean Penn has accused Britain of colonialism and urged the government to open negotiations with Argentina over the Falkland Islands.

At a meeting with Argentine president Cristina Kirchner, the Left-wing Hollywood actor referred to the islands "the Malvinas Islands of Argentina" and said Britain should entered into a UN-sponsored dialogue over their sovereignty.

"The world today is not going to tolerate any ludicrous and archaic commitment to colonialist ideology," he said during the meeting in Buenos Aires.

. . .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/9080473/Sean-Penn-accuses-Britain-of-colonialism-over-Falklands.html

• cedars
    cedars

I can understand why it would be easy for an American to look upon the British through their historical stereotype as collonial agressors. However, as a UN ambassador, he really should be doing his homework before wading into this type of dispute.

The Argentinians have little if any claim to those islands other than the fact that they're "nearby". The islanders themselves want to remain British. If anything, it is the Argentinians who are pursuing a "colonialist ideology". As our own UN representative recently said, nothing has changed over the past 30 years as respects these islands - only the Argentinian politics.

Cedars

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

cedars: Feel free to ignore Mr. Penn. Most of us do. (He's one of the greatest living actors, however.)

• cedars
    cedars

cedars: Feel free to ignore Mr. Penn. Most of us do. (He's one of the greatest living actors, however.)

leavingwt - I may take you up on that advice. It's actually prompted little more than a collective shrug in the British media, such is his lack of influence - but you just know the Argies will be replaying his remarks 24/7 on all their news channels. I actually have a copy of one of his films "The Interpreter" which ironically deals with the UN. I don't think I'll enjoy his performance quite so much next time I watch it.

Cedars

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

cedars: IMHO, his best performances were: Carlito's Way, Dead Man Walking and Mystic River.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

The colonialism charge is ridiculous. Nobody ever lived there before the Spanish/Portuguese discovered it. Those islands were vacant.

Let the Falkland Islanders have a vote on whether they want to be under UK or Argentinian rule under an internationally monitored plebiscite. Case closed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit