Las Malvinas AKA The Falkland Islands - why the argy-bargy?

by cedars 319 Replies latest members politics

• tornapart
    tornapart

What matters is the people living on those islands now. They are nearly ALL British.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Looks to me like Argentina's position is waxing and England's is waning.

Ask yourself "silly person named me, how would my contrived passion for Jolly old England's claims to the Malvinas sound to a 29 year old in Brazil or Chile? Or for that matter, most 29 year olds in the USofA?".

• moshe
    moshe

Spain wants California back- if they had held on to it only a couple more years, they would have had all that gold in Sutter's mill- and Russia wants Alaska back- they got cheated out of all that gold and oil- and Japan wanted the Aleutian islands, too- they tried to get it in WW2- Now, Puerto Rico, they can have their independence from the USA- they say they want it, but won't follow through.

I think Argentina could have taken the Falklands back, had they been willing to take 10,000 casualties and fight for a couple years- well, maybe not, Britain does have nuclear weapons--

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

What matters is the people living on those islands now. They are nearly ALL British.

Yes and most of the people living in some parts of Socal are Mexican. You won't find an English speaker. So should we start on Mexico getting parts of Cali back?

For those of u not familiar with the Mexican American war, Mexico was the silver medal winner

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Wow, I never thought I’d be openly mocked for being disfellowshipped and pregnant here. How classy. How we go from the Malvinas to my personal life is indicative of where this conversation is heading. I’m glad you find the humour in my situation enough to suggest silly names for my child in honour of this conversation. You can go back to yelling at kids to stay off your lawn now.

I still did not get my answer about how Britain was established in the Malvinas between 1774 and 1833. But I’m not sweating it because I know there is no positive answer. I could go on asking, but then I’d be hitting my head on the wall as was so figuratively referred to before. It’s good to see so many who are interested in the Malvinas issue though. The fact remains that there has never been a British governor before the takeover of 1833, the Port Egmont experiment notwithstanding. It’s convenient to think of Argentina as some sort of dysfunctional backwater back then, which for the most part it was. It still does not excuse uprooting one administration no matter how primitive it might have been, and then replacing it with your own colonial governor. No matter how many Wikipedia pages you decide to throw at me, these significant facts do not escape me.

Emilie

Las Malvinas son Argentinas!

• moshe
    moshe
    Wow, I never thought I'd be openly mocked for being disfellowshipped and pregnant here.

If only you paid as much attention to birth control as you do the Malvinas, you could still be playing around with the guys and have the Kingdom Hall fooled, too.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    What the heck is an argy-bargy?

Indeed.

• Diest
    Diest

Harsh.

• mP
    mP

While everyone remembers the Argentine claim on the Falklands, they also tried the same grabs in the south near the Cape, claiming the drakes passage and other islands around Cape Horn were theres and not the Chileans. The funny thing is the two asked the Queen to study claims adjudicate.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Since when is my birth control and 'playing around with the guys' any of your business? You are playing the perfect part of a dirty old man. Go find some sophomores to make crude comments to.

I was encouraged to 'tell my story', and so I did. Now it gets turned on me. Where do they find people like you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit