I think a lot of older (maybe younger ones) JW's are going to attempt/commit suicide....(READ)

by Joliette 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Joliette
    Joliette

I've been in lurkmode lately, but with the news that I heard about Don Cornelius dying, it had me thinking...as this world goes on, and people are coping with this world...I think a lot JW's are going to realize that the end of the world isnt coming...there gonna become more despert, the realities of having to work, pay off debts, etc. A lot of JW's are going to realize that no magical sky daddy is come and 'take away there problems' and I think the more that they start to realize this, they get older, and there gonna start hating the reality that they have to face. I had a good friend who's father-in- law (who was a ministrial servant) who had bipolar disorder, killed himself in his car back in 2007. It was sad. What was even more sadder was the fact that the elders didnt want to direct the funeral because the sister of the deceased was going to have a pastor giving the eulogy at the funeral. It was sicken, and it caused her (my friend) exit from the religion. I also found out recently that I had a friend who was repeatedly molested growing up, attempted suicide. Didnt find this out until recently.

What do you guys think? This is something that I dont like to think about, but I think its gonna happen more often, especially with the elderly witnesses. I mean, who would have thought we would have made it to to 2012?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Yeah, I had a similar thought when I saw about Don Cornelius, but I didn't necessarily think old ones would off themselves.

Its going to be the kids, the ones born in the last 5-10 years ( not that commit suicide, but that leave in droves ). The way information spreads today is unlike any other epoch in history. The idea of not being allowed to look at something because it's "apostate" I think will be laughable to these kids. There is plenty of "faith-shattering" non-apostate stuff on the Internet as well.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

One sad experience I had was when my mother (about 79/80 at the time) Lamented 'I may as well die I have nothing to look forward to.'

This was a women who spent most of her time in the 'truth' as a regular pioneer and who had brought enough people to baptism to fill a congrgation. Her fervent hope was to see ' the end of this system' as most JW's of her generation. It was sad to see the truth dawn upon her in her twilight.

IMO in your later years hopefully you will have reconciled your past and be at peace with your mortality, but to at the end recognize time spent in vain is truly a tradgedy.

But though Death searched for the third brother for many years, he was never able to find him. It was only when he had attained a great age that the youngest brother finally took off the Cloak of Invisibility and gave it to his son. And than he greeted Death as an old friend, and went with him gladly, and as equals, they departed this life.

The tale of the three brothers

• Joliette
    Joliette

I dont know. Theres this hopelessness in people that I am seeing that I've never seen before. EVER!! I dont want to think about it but I think its gonna start happening more often now that time is going by so fast. But I do think that younger ones are going to leave, and this is gonna cause the older ones to feel more depressed, hopeless, etc.

Oh and for the record I dont think life is hopeless if people would let there guards down and just love one another. But since people are people I dont believe thats ever gonna happen. (At least on a large scale) especially the division within current Jw's and Ex Jw's.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Joliette,

I think you're right. No one could have imagined being here in 2012 on this side of the system. JWs have nothing to look forward to except more of the same.

I get the feeling that the Society has been on auto-pilot for many years. They have created a machine that prints endless books, magazines, tracts, schedules, Memorial announcments and convention programs, year after year.

There is nothing new under the sun. All the JWs can do is keep going through the endless motions year after year, doing the same thing while expecting different results.

Truthseeker

• Joliette
    Joliette

Truthseeker, so right...I dont even want to think of the fact that someone close to me might kill themseleves but I think sadly that its going to start happening more often. Trust me, I dont want to think of it, but I got a little surprise when I turned on my computer and found out that Don Cornelius killed himself. You would have thought someone his age would have died of a heart attack, or cancer. Not suicide.

• steve2
    steve2

Can someone put me in the loop or direct me to the relevant thread: Who is Don Cornelius? I'm from New Zealand so the signifcance of this man is unknown to me.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think it is hard for those that have spent many decades serving a publishing company, as they near, or pass, their "three score years and ten" they get to hear of more and more of their old Witless friends who are dead, dying, or have lost their marbles.

The avearge Dub who has been in for decades has a wide circle of acquaintances (they are not really friends) and so they get to hear this sort of bad news a lot more than normal people, who only have family, work and church (singular) friends, normal people don't know hardly anyone from the next parish, so don't hear all this negative stuff.

I think it does get to the JDubs, but they still go on believing, "perhaps it will come this week, or next", of course it does not.

I don't see a great increase in suicides though, I think they will just slide into their graves in the same deluded state they have spent the last decades in.

• No Room For George
  • darth frosty
    darth frosty

Steve2 Don Cornelus was the host of a dance show out of chicago (the hippest trip in the land.)

link

link

And as always in parting...

Wishing you Love peace and soul!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit