New one

by freshcrepes 30 Replies latest jw friends

• freshcrepes
    freshcrepes

Hello everybody,

I've been lurking on this forum for over a year, and I thought I'd say a quick hello.

I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and managed to endure past the encouragement that one receives from age 16 onwards about what is holding me back, and never got baptised. I figured that making one of the most important decisions of my life requires a lot more thought than people seemed to be giving it, and shouldn't be based on emotion as is quite common.

I'm very glad I never took the plunge, and I've managed to convince my parents that they should be glad to. I've pointed out that had I been baptised and reached the position I'm at now (agnostic to be specific, but atheist to be useful) then we would not be able to even have conversations with them about religion, or anything else.

I feel a bit like an imposter here - many of you have lost contact completely with friends and family whereas I'm just viewed as slightly peculiar. I dont share my views often with witnesses, although I think about what to say a lot. I do find it quite baffling that any of them believe what they do, but I think the best approach is to remain respectful and ask pertinent questions to make them think. I'm very lucky that I have the opportunity to be open with my parents should I choose to be.

I like reading threads here about the logical backflips that witnesses have to go through to believe what they do. It fascinates me when they say that I don't have the right heart condition, or that Jehovah will reveal things to me in time, and I (gently) call them up on it when they do. My view is that nobody should have a fear of information or opposing points of view, indeed it's essential to solidifying your worldview. And they are free to reject any information that they don't agree with. I think that Raymond Franz's books should be required reading for every Jehovah's Witness, and the avoidance and even more so, the non-acknowledgement of the existence of these books exposes a fatal insecurity.

Thankyou everybody for your helpful experiences over the past year.

Fresh Crepes x

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome!

I'm very glad to hear that you never got baptized.

• flipper
    flipper

FRSHCREPES- Welcome to the board friend ! Your statement, " My view is that nobody should have a fear of information or opposing points of view, indeed it's essential to solidifying your worldview. " I like you already ! I feel similarly. Look forward to hearing more from you. Take care, you are among friends

• Adiva
    Adiva

I sense wisdom in your words. Welcome. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Adiva

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome ((((((freshcrepes))))))) to JWN. Although you have not lost as much as other members because of the WTBTS, you are still affected by the WTBTS because you cannot freely express your opinions to JWs without them judging you. I'm glad that you are one of the undunked!!

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Glad you joined this forum. It was so funny, that when I was being studied with by jw that they said to have an open mind. But when I became a jw then it became just the opposite. Listen only to the WTS. I agree whole-heartedly in your statement about the importance of having an open mind.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Welcome!

Congrats on remaining dry.

Here is to it !

• Peaches1978
    Peaches1978

Welcome....

• freshcrepes
    freshcrepes

Thanks everybody for your warm welcome. I'm very familiar with some of you through your posts.

ABibleStudent - I don't really see it like that. I see it as a restriction that they have. I feel sad for them that they are not free to listen to all sides of the discussion, and I keep quiet as I understand how scary it can be to hear an opinion from a source that you have been warned to avoid. I'm in love with somebody who doesn't judge me and I'm free to share my opinions with, and I'm grateful for that.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Hi and welcome.

Should I assume correctly that you are going to proceed on to higher education?

Will you have trouble over that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit