Any of you have a hard time finding a job since leaving?

by lilbluekitty 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Fernando
    Fernando

Being a Witness involves many job skills.

Hey lilbluekitty!

Yes, life changing events such as leaving a cult often plays havoc with ones job or career (by design).

I agree with Band on the Run's observation above.

If one has gone from being religious (RBNS) to being spiritual (SBNR) here are two examples of how you might outline your experience in a CV:

Experience – Social Change Management, Pastoral Care

1990 – present Spiritual Director & Counsellor (pro bono)

Initially in various religious communities and contexts. From 2000 in various non-religious, non-sectarian, non-denominational contexts and communities.

• Then - religious education focussing on external change.
    • Now - spiritual education focussing on internal change.
    • Helping children, adolescents, adults and families contemplate the healing, moderating, clarifying, and unifying power of faith and spirituality.

Social Transformation

Various Christian communities. Spiritual counselling & education focussing on internal change. Non-denominational and “multi-faith”. Helping children, adolescents, adults and families contemplate the healing, moderating, clarifying, and unifying power of organic (natural) faith and spirituality. Non-judgemental toward LGBTI (gays), prostitutes, addicts and homeless.

You might consider an entry level position in community Mental Health, AOD Addiction, or aged care as a "support worker" and possibly initially as a volunteer with an organisation that is likely to have (several) openings in the (near) future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Fellowship (community Mental Health, now many of these worldwide)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_steps

• rebel8
    rebel8

The fact that you got an interview for a job that had 4k applicants is a big deal.

Not getting the 1st job you've ever interviewed for means little. Sheesh. I'm an executive and I've probaby been on 100 or more. When I've interviewed for something that had 1000 applicants and they interviewed 10, I knew if I was interviewed I was doing something right. My resume was getting my foot in the door, now is there anything I need to do differently to get the position?

If you feel you did poorly then is there a jobs program in your area? Usually they have interview prep services that will help you find out how to do better. They will role play interviews with you and everything. You need to do it enough times that it becomes 2nd nature.

My advice is to get something that will make you stand out from the crowd--a special skill, a professional certification, something that shows initiative and intelligence. Get Googling.

If clerical work is what you want, great, be the best clerk there is. Get certified in Microsoft Office. Practice your typing daily so you are really fast. Spell check the heck out of everything. etc.

I have interviewed hundreds of people I think. I advertized an entry-level clerical job and got tons of applicants. Check my previous threads for some advice I came up with.

In the meantime, start a business, ebay or something, which will show work ethic and initiative. That's my advice.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is a common problem, and a major pitfall for any witlesses that think pious-sneering is all they will need to do. You didn't develop skills during the period between 1995 and 2007, so employers will not look at you now that unemployment is at 8.5 17%. Underemployment (part time work when full time is needed, or working below your potential) is probably another 20% or more. Given that, no wonder companies will not hire without putting up a wall. Osama ObamaCare, SOPA (and now ACTA), S-510/S-3767, the EPA, and the UN butting into our business only make it even harder for employers to seek new employees. Tax rates that are moon-high don't help, either--most companies would rather move to China.

I suppose you can start a business. And deal with the IRS laws embedded in Osama ObamaCare. What does that section 9006 reall mean--you know, the one with the 1099 forms? Are there other hidden snags embedded in Osama ObamaCare, ACTA, S-510 and S-3767, and NDAA? What does the EPA have up its sleeve to put your business down? Besides, it usually costs money to start a business in the United Tyranny of Stupidity--money that the big banks would rather not lend. (Fact is, they would rather see you working for a big business like Morgue Stanley, itself a big bank, that has oppressive rules that do no good, than seeing you start your own business). Obviously, starting a business in the United Tyranny of Stupidity is going to be dangerous--look at the lemonade stand raids of the past year.

The other option is to move out of the country. That is also very expensive--and most likely, you don't have the funds. Business friendly countries include Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, and Switzerland. Good news: Some of those countries speak English. Bad news: You are almost certain to go into debt--debt that Morgue Stanley would love to deny you to keep you under their thumb and other banks would love to use to enslave you. Besides, you are looking at 6-12 months of administrative paperwork, including the need to either land a job or start a business in one of those countries, and even then you would be piling on a mountain of debt for something with no guarantee.

Which leaves barter. As I believe, soon the dollar is going to be toilet paper. I know not when--otherwise I would naked short huge quantities of US Toilet Papers weeks (or even days) before hyperinflation is to start in favor of gold and silver, wait for hyperinflation to do its work, and then pay back the debt with a tiny amount of gold or silver and walk off with a huge pile of precious metals. Rather, I would use this time to work on skills. In hyperinflation, enforcement of license regulations is going to be impractical--who wants to inspect your work for mere toilet papers. You are better to focus on learning a skill, and doing it well, so you have it to barter for other things. In that scenario, an unlicensed electrician or plumber that knows what they are doing and has an excellent reputation is worth more than someone with a license and is willing to do a sloppy job for complacency.

Which trades? Look around you. Do you see buildings in need of repairs? Perhaps there is need for painting or other repair work. Computer repairs can be bartered for other things--even your doctor or dentist relies on a computer, and cannot function if their hard drive crashes or they get a worm on their system. What do you see in rubbish dumps? Is it possible that you could barter cleanup of rubbish for other services? You might be able to fix things--though a TV is likely to have very little value in hyperinflation. Be mindful that gardening is likely to be banned for S-510/S-3767, and practicing medicine without a license is going to yield you a nice jail sentence even in a barter situation. Also, most of these skills are actually simple to learn--computer repair is easier than it seems and requires no college degree (just a few courses on YouTube and decent tools).

Or, you might try Christmas decorating. Believe it or not, even in hard times, there is a market for that. Decorate a street, and watch businesses on that street swap goods and/or services for the business you will bring in. Malls pay big money for professional decorators to bring in business. You can broaden into other holidays and festivals for even more fun. And, as you will be using it for barter, you will not be filling out 1099 forms--and it will be miserably difficult for the IRS to estimate the value of your service or what you are getting in return if you barter good or service for good or service.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I see much more hope for you than WTWizard. A large part of being functional is not crying about the past but to find ways to improve skils now. It is not your fault. You were a cult member. You can study now. See what happens to Switzerland or Singapore if the US govt. caves. We may no longer be the most dominant economic force in the world but our vast resources cannot be discounted too much. It is folly to think Dems are not probusiness. I am a progressive blue dog Democrat. Blue Dogs are very probusiness. How many Dennis Kucinech's exist in the party. I practice corporate law at a large Wall St. law firm. Are social conservatives more probusiness. It is a politcal question and not objective. We get a free ride in many respects b/c we established so many structures after WWII.

Feeling entitled to a job is important. Job beggars are not attractive. The past is the past. The future can be very good. The quest is to stay courageous during the transition.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

you could be a caretaker of any large property that is what I am currently doing, here is the website, http://www.caretaker.org/

• shamus100
    shamus100

Get your resume professionally done. That is an absolute must.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Jobseeking is very emotionally taxing, so I feel for you. The main thing is to remain positive and confident that you are the best person for the job and will get one. Are you presenting yourself with confidence? Don't be afraid to upsell yourself as you have plenty of work experience. 20 hours a week door to door sales as a volunteer for a religion, child minding and catering all count. If you have children then that is a good reason for being out of the workforce.

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

I do have some interesting skills, I just don't know how to put them together yet.

I type at least 50 wpm, I've taken several tests to prove it. I'm quite good at spelling and rarely even need to do spell check. I taught myself Adobe Photoshop when I was 13 and can do web graphics and some HTML/CSS coding. I'm a little rusty at the coding but it comes back to me pretty easily when I use it more often. I'm good at writing and proof-reading, I know Microsoft Word and Powerpoint. I have good organizational skills.

The problem is filling in the gaps. I don't remember how to use Excel, at least not the newer versions, definitely not formulas. I don't know the rest of the Adobe Suite such as Illustrator and I'm not good with a graphics tablet and pretty awful at drawing anything realistic, I'm more of a flourish and doodles type person. I don't know how to use InDesign at all and I really wish I did because visually I can do page layouts, I just don't know the technical aspects. This is where going back to school would really help me, if I could.

The biggest problem is less to do with me being patient but more to do with my husband and his side of the family staying patient with me. I've known my husband for 4 1/2 years and I had been out of a job for 2 or 3 years already by the time I met him. He just thinks of me as lazy mostly because he's never really seen me work. I did volunteer for a few months during the fall last year and he saw that but it's not enough for him because it didn't pay. Right now I'm trying to be the best housewife I can be for the time being, I cook and clean and try to keep busy around the house. I've babysat his relatives but they don't pay me so I only do it when they absolutely need me, I told my BIL and SIL they cannot just drop their son (who is 13, mind you) at our house and expect us to watch him at the drop of a hat. Anyway I think you get the idea. I'm going to have to try to get myself more well-known around here and I'm thinking maybe volunteering some more someplace else might not be a bad idea to start.

I did have my own business selling digital scrapbooking kits I designed online. I barely made more than about 8 bucks a MONTH and after doing it for 2 years I finally decided to call it quits because my husband just saw it as me sitting around and playing and barely making any money for all the efford. I did have people advertising for me and I did self-promote as well but most designers in that field barely make anything, at least not enough to support a household. I thought of putting it on my resume but I'm not sure of how it would look. My resume looks good right now but it basically looks like a crazy quilt or something: a few months at a credit union as a file clerk, a few months as a student worker in an office, a few more months as a student worker at a library, many years of being a catering assistant, and volunteering as a cashier and shopkeeper at a used clothing store. *shrug* I'd rather not put the JW stuff down because then I would have to explain myself too much and I don't like talking about it with people face to face. I'd rather let the past stay in the past and move on with my life, you know?

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it everyone.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Your last post proves you have concrete skills. Patience and perseverance are essential in this economy. Most job seekers give up. If you can not become too depressed to continue, you have an edge over them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit