Jesus “Was” but not “IS” Michael!

by free thought 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

(Where is JCanon when you really need him.)

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Terry:

Since we have NONE of the original autograph writings of bible writers we DON'T KNOW what actual words were written under inspiration.

Actually, there is no evidence that anything was written under 'inspiration', nor is it clear what the term is actually supposed to mean anyway.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"Inspiration" usually comes in a bottle, worked for Rutherford.

I think the WT's argument for identifying Jesus with Michael is pretty thin.

1) The scrip. in Daniel says he is one of the chief angels, not the chief (the word archangel does not appear in the O.T)

2) They make the claim that "Arch" means only one, but the prefix is used in the scrip. that mentions "principalities ", plural.

3) The scrip. in Thessalonians says Jesus voice is like an Archangels.

Another case of the WT not reading the Bible ?

• designs
    designs

The Watchtower position more closely aligns with the Dead Sea Scroll 11Q13.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The writers of the Dead Sea Scrolls were not aware of Jesus of Nazareth of course, and they looked for two messiahs, so two names is good !

• designs
    designs

Fred and Mahalshazbazibeh

• Amelia Ashton
  • GOrwell
    GOrwell

Hebrews 2:5 - God the Father did not submit the world to an angel. He submitted it to his Son. Who isn't an angel. He's the Son.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Free Thought, GOrwell has it totally right. There is a single scripture that completely derails the entire argument that the WT has on Jesus being Michael the Archangel.

An Archangel is obviously a "kind" of angel. We know about a couple "kinds" of angels. There are the Cherubim, the Saraphim, and the Archangel. They are all angels.

In the first century, the gnostics were arguing that Jesus was an angel. So Paul countered this with his opening to Hebrews. Read Hebrews 1:3-8.

It says: The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.

5 For to which of the angels did God ever say,

“You are my Son;
    today I have become your Father”?

Or again,

“I will be his Father,
    and he will be my Son”?

6 And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says,

“Let all God’s angels worship him.”

7 In speaking of the angels he says,

“He makes his angels spirits,
    and his servants flames of fire.”

8 But about the Son he says,

“Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever;
    a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom.

I think that sums up the entire matter. God never called ANY angel His Son. He clearly makes a distinction about the superiority of Jesus to the Angels to the point that the Angels were to WORSHIP Jesus. (Just as we are to worship Him now).

And finally, God the Father even calls His Son "God" in verse 8. If the Father calls Jesus "God", then we can do the same today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit