Characteristics Associated with Cultic Groups - Janja Lalich, Madeline Tobias

by flipper 32 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

This book my wife and I are reading is entitled " Take Back Your Life - Recovering from Cults and Abusive Relationships " by Janja Lalich & Madeleine Tobias . Both were former cult members and are Ph.D's teaching as Associate Professors of Sociology at a University and the other is a Clinical Coordinator and psychotherapist for a medical Veterans clinic. Also she is a M.S., R.N. , C.S. In the appendix A section of the book on pg. 337 it describes in detail " Characteristics Associated with Cultic Groups " . I felt it would be good to present this , especially for many of the newer members of the board perhaps newly exiting Jehovah's Witnesses and that it might help them confirm some of their doubts and sucspisions about the WT society. So here is what's written in this appendix section :

" Concerted efforts at influence and control lie at the core of cultic groups, programs, and relationships. Many members , former members, and supporters of cults are not fully aware of the extent to which members may be manipulated , exploited, or even abused. The following list of social-structural, social-psychological, and interpersonal behavioral patterns commonly found in cultic environments may help you assess a particular group or relationship. "

" Compare these patterns to the situation you were in ( or in which you, a family member, or friend is currently involved ) . This list may help you determine if there is cause for concern . Bear in mind that this list is not meant to be a " cult scale " or a definitive checklist to determine if a specific group is a cult ; this is not so much a diagnostic instrument as it is an analytical tool. "

1. The group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to it's leader, and ( whether he is alive or dead ) regards his belief system, ideology, and practices as the Truth, as law.

2. Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.

3. Mind-altering practices ( such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, or debilitating work routines ) are used in excess and serve to suppress doubts about the group and it's leaders.

4. The leadership dictates, sometimes in great detail, how members should think, act, and feel ( e.g., members must get permission to date, change jobs, or marry - or leaders prescribe what to wear, where to live, whether to have children, how to discipline children, and so forth ).

5. The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself , its leaders, and it's members ( e.g., the leader is considered the Messiah, a special being, an avatar - or the group and/or the leader is on a special mission to save humanity ) .

6. The group has a polarized, us-versus-them mentality, which may cause conflict with the wider society.

7. The leader is not accountable to any authorities ( unlike, for example, teachers, military commanders, or ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream religious denominations ) .

8. The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify whatever means it deems necessary . This may result in members participating in behaviors or activities they would have considered reprehensible or unethical before joining the group ( e.g., lying to family or friends, or collecting money for bogus charities ) .

9. The leadership induces feelings of shame and/or guilt in order to influence and control members. Often this is done through peer pressure and subtle forms of persuasion.

10. Subservience to the leader or group requires members to cut ties with family and friends , and radically alter the personal goals and activities they had before joining the group.

11. The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members.

12. The group is preoccupied with making money.

13. Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities.

14. Members are encouraged or required to live and / or socialize only with other members.

15. The most loyal members ( the " true believers " ) feel there can be no life outside the context of the group. They believe there is no other way to be , and often fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave - or even consider leaving - group.

So, this is the criteria these authors feel that can be identifying factors of a high control group or cult. As Steve Hassan has written in his books " there is no acceptable way to leave a cult " without being dissapproved by cult leaders. So- I'd like to hear your thoughts, comments, or even your personal experiences which may assist some of the newer board members to see what you may have experienced in any of these situations or in other ways when you were a Jehovah's Witness. I know for sure, I personally experienced many of these points myself when I was a Jehovah's Witness. So, I hope you all are doing well. Look forward to all of your responses ! Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I don't know Mr. Flipper if JWs really qualify as a cult. They only fit 15 out of 15 items from the "list of social-structural, social-psychological, and interpersonal behavioral patterns commonly found in cultic environments".

And just for the record, JWs don't go around speaking in tongues: Lying, yes; tongues, no.

I'm just sayin' is all!

00DAD

PS - I really enjoyed our conversation the other night. You really cheered me up! Thanks for calling.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

They wrote all that & still considered that JW wasn't a cult. LOL

I think that demonstrates how well the WT polishes it's public persona.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

1. WT kept reinventing the leader. They edited what Russell taught and made him into the first FDS, adding "the board of directors" with Rutherford then excluding anyone who felt they were FDS (pretty much the Bible encourages such a thing of everyone reading) by switching to the Governing Body as "it's" representative.

2. No comments necessary here.

3. At first reading, I didn't see this clearly applying, probably because I have a bad cold. The Watchtower study is a mind-altering practice that includes repetitiveness. You read the paragraphs at home, you look for the answer to the question. You hear the paragraph at the meeting, then the question again. You follow as someone says the answer from the paragraph again.

4. Oh, they will argue this one, but really- no comments necessary.

5. The leaders are anointed and the members are indeed on a "mission from God."

6. Is he "in the truth" or worldly?

7. Theocratic warfare means we obey Jehovah before men.

8. Theocratic warfare includes deciding who is not worthy of the truth.

9. Pressure to be regular in recruiting, aux. pioneer, reg. pioneer, comment at meetings, reach out for positions and privileges.

10. Avoid holidays and birthdays. Use weekends to do their bidding. Goals are pushed on members to do as #9 above lists and avoid overtime or work that causes missing meetings.

11. Fill out those columns on your "field service" report to have Bible studies and drag them to the baptism alter.

12. The members are vaguely aware of how important the money is. But honest examination includes parking scams at conventions and Kingdom Hall grabs. The C.O. visit is highly focused on the numbers and what's in the bank. Circuit assemblies are total rip-offs with the "deficit" announcements.

13. No comment necessary.

14. Socialize anyway, maybe one day when WTS shrinks, they will move to the compound.

15. We all have our own story of this number.

• flipper
    flipper

00DAD- Exactly. The Jehovah's Witnesses are every bit a cult as I eat food, use the restroom and sleep each day. No denying it for sure.

BLACK SHEEP- My niece loaned us this book to read. The authors make some really good points in it as it deals with abusive relationships as well. Whether they view JW's as a cult or not doesn't faze me - I know they are a cult. These authors also prefer not using the term " mind control " either. Whatever. They use the term " thought reform " . Once again, whatever. " Mind control " , " thought reform " - still it's the same thing. As you said WT society is always trying to polish up their image. But many people see through the veneer

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

You know, when I first came to this site I immediately agreed with many points-- 607 vs 587, flip-flops etc. . .

But when I saw the "cult" word, I thought, nawwwww. . . no way. . .

Upon further examination, cult is quite an appropriate term to use with regards to the WTBTS.

Thanks for the book recommendation FLIPPER.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Mr. Flipper: Mind control " , " thought reform " - still it's the same thing. As you said WT society is always trying to polish up their image. But many people see through the veneer.

Who says you can't polish a turd!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Or maybe you prefer this:

Turd 2

• flipper
    flipper

ON THE WAY OUT- Good point you make in that the WT society kept reinventing the leaders the last 131 years since 1879. Also, yes the WT studies were mind numbing, mind altering meetings in which if you think about it - at times - turned into " denunciation sessions " when they rail against apostates or negatively put down ANYONE who leaves the organization. It's a call to arms stirring up active JW's to " hate " or vilify ex-Witnesses. Pressure to go out in field service, attend meetings, donate to the " kingdom work " - even putting ATM machines at assemblies now ? That really surprised me , but it shouldn't have. And the call to shun family members and friends who stop attending JW meetings has gotten more intense for sure. And now WT society has moved it's headquarters to upstate rural New York where they can be out of the limlight somewhat. In my opinion the WT society is getting even weirder with each passing year. Truly bizarre and dangerous organization

• 00DAD
    00DAD

#3. Mind-altering practices (such as ... denunciation sessions ...) are used in excess and serve to suppress doubts about the group and it's leaders.

Hmmm, how about all those WT studies recently demonizing "apostates" as "mentally diseased" and ramping up the pressure to shun all DF'd & DA'd people, even if they are your family members? I'd say those qualify as "denunciation sessions"!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit