Do you have an interest in Evolution?

by snare&racket 71 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

She asked for a book on pre- evolution, so we have suggested one...

We are all adult and smart enough to know she was being difficult, but because there are books on that subject, she didnt respond to the issue again, or to the book suggestion once. Not even a thank you for our time in answering her question.

Tec will you be buying any of these books and reading them? If not then why are you here ? Also stating that geology disproves the Genesis account is a FACT not an opinion or up for debate.

• tec
    tec

Tec will you be buying any of these books and reading them? If not then why are you here ?

Why would I? I remember my biology class. I am here because the title asked if you have an interest in evolution. I like the science of evolution, so I have an interest in it. So I clicked on the link to see what was being discussed. Perhaps that is what Nancy was responding to as well, moreso than the 'rules' for the thread.

Also stating that geology disproves the Genesis account is a FACT not an opinion or up for debate.

Um, no... it does not. It might disprove a literal rendering of the genesis account (which genesis account... the first couple chapters on creation, the whole book... which part are you referring to?), as we have it written down.

But who said the bible was all to be taken literal and/or inerrant?

Peace,

Tammy

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "But who said the bible was all to be taken literal and/or inerrant? ...." Tec

The bible itself makes that claim...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Heeeey, LV101!!!

[waves Hi!]

Just read Exodus 19: 16-19, and think of me, the lil' ol' Volcano Goddess [not really a "goddess"; just a big fan of volcanoes...] when you read it!!!

Zid

• tec
    tec

The bible itself makes that claim...

Could you show me where?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, for the love of!!!

I can paraphrase and YOU can find the scriptures, 'cause THAT is one thing that I DO remember from my days as a JW!!!

"ALL SCRIPTURE IS INSPIRED OF GOD AND BENEFICIAL..."

"Do not add to [scripture]; neither take away from [scripture]..." (Because the stuff is so "sacred", that mere humans shouldn't touch it... )

"The word of 'god' is eternal and shall last forever..."

And I could go on and on and on and on....

The bible reinforces the idea that IT is "perfect" and the ONLY word of "god" - which, coincidentally, a lot of OTHER sacred books do, too - just read the words of many an Indian Hindu spiritual guide, for proof of THAT!! AND the Q'uran...

• tec
    tec

Of for the love of... I agree :)

The bible was not a book at the time those words were written. (all scripture is inspired) So it could not have been referring to itself, or Paul referring to his letters.

All scripture? What is scripture? Do you know which parts? Because it was not the bible as we have it, since it had not yet been put together.

Why would there be a warning about not adding to or taking away from the bible, if it was impossible that this could be done? The warning implies that it can be done. Christ saying woe to you scribes says that it HAS been done. Jeremiah 8:8 says that the lying pen of the scribes has handled the law falsely. All of that right there is evidence that says the bible is NOT inerrant. The bible makes no statement about itself.

Luke investigated the details of his gospel. He did not write as he was carried along by the spirit. He wrote for someone in particular. Paul makes a distinction about some words being from him and some words being from God. Why make that distinction if it is all inspired and from God?

Peace,

Tammy

• LV101
    LV101

Of for the love of rocks, Ziddy ---- man has been on earth for how long (eons) and how come we haven't evolved into something radically different (oops, guess we have from the caveman). Are we at the pinnacle or maxed out for any future change --- Like those dinosaurs that became birds (i'm not doubting this and love the scientific facts). I'm ordering Dawkins' book (the kiddie one to start with so no throwing rocks at me yet) and other recommended ones but this evolution/science --- knowledge of earth, well, this is one great thread.

tec --- glad you're onboard and appreciate your take on the "all scripture is inspired." I used to hear this/read this and think well, alrighty then --- what proof is that and it left me perplexed.

LV101

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "All scripture? What is scripture? Do you know which parts? Because it was not the bible as we have it..." tec

Do you mean to tell me that you don't know where in the bible the bible itself is described that way??? jaw drop girl It's in the new testament, I can tell you that much...

In fact, it's in 2nd Timothy 3: 16, 17....

But of course that's not the only place that the bible writers referred to the particuar book that THEY were writing at that particular time, as being of "divine" inspiration or as the "inalterable word of god"...

It would only make sense that each successive bible writer would lean upon the previously written books and incorporate any prophecies found in them into his current writing...

Amusingly, in spite of that, there are many glaring discrepancies in the bible - apparently bible writers didn't always have access to ALL of the previous books, or they were relying a bit too heavily upon that vaunted "spirit" and didn't feel the need to check what was written before they set pen to papyrus or vellum...

And as I said, the fact that the bible writers THEMSELVES were attempting to treat the bible as a cohesive whole, means that their own words condemn the bible as supposedly "whole", AND to be taken "literally"...

Which makes the discrepancies and inaccuracies within the bible, self-condemning.

• Lore
    Lore
    Please recommend a book that explains what happened before evolution took over, namely spontaneous generation.

OP: "Hey guys, I'm interested in Football, if anyone has any questions about Football feel free to ask!"

NDrew: "Tell me about Nascar!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit