Are we living with the last generation of Scientologists?

by Gayle 12 Replies latest social current

• Gayle
    Gayle

http://www.thevine.com.au/news/current-affairs/know-this-tv-binging,-immaterial-products,-scientology's-end,-italian-tears,-the-kickstarter-scam20120122.aspx

Are we living with the last generation of Scientologists? Over the past decade, membership has dropped in the US by 20,000. In an article for LRB titled "Religion, grrrr" Rachel Aviv reviews one of the only academic studies of Scientology to date. "A professor of religious studies at Ohio State, Urban is interested in secrecy in religion, and in this book he chronicles the way [founder L. Ron] Hubbard reacted to legal and political challenges to his authority by attempting (largely successfully) to conceal his theories from the public. Had he stuck with his original conception of Dianetics, his practices could have been investigated and judged according to scientific standards. A religion, on the other hand, can turn self-help platitudes into a scarce and privileged resource; criticism can be dismissed as intolerance, or persecution." But the walls are coming down. The internet has made available texts and techniques that previously "higher level" Scientologists would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to access.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hm, a fad disguised as a religion. Who would have thunk it?

• DT
    DT

I'm not sure about Scientologists, but I"m pretty sure we're seeing the last generation of Jehovah's Witnesses. It's just hard to say how many times that generation will overlap.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

DT, that was beautiful.

I hope we are seeing the last generation of all cults. There is no excuse in the information age anymore.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    I'm not sure about Scientologists, but I"m pretty sure we're seeing the last generation of Jehovah's Witnesses. It's just hard to say how many times that generation will overlap.

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Scientology just had their own "Ray Franz" moment when former executive Debbie Cook just blasted church leader David Miscavige. Only difference is that she was hard core until the very end. Miscavige is known for verbally and physically abusing fellow members. He keeps them in a trailer in the California desert called "The Hole" with very little food and with no toilet facilities. There is a substantial movement both within and outside of Scientology to dismiss Miscavige and go back to the teachings of Hubbard. While Scientology as the larger movement wont entirely flame out, it's possible that this split could send both sides into remnant organizations such as the old Bible Student ones that are still in existence today.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I think we are seeing what may be the last generation of any christian based 'religion'.

The future rulers of the world will not tolerate it.

Oz

• JAFO
    JAFO

The future (and current) rulers of the world are the ones using xtian-based religions as a control mechanism, bro. (Including the Dubs.. who have some serious financial backing coming from a rather unusual source.)

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

On an episode of "Family Guy," Peter went to a Scientology church for some reason......he was in an office talking to a leader for some reason and there was a poster in the room that said:

"SCIENTOLOGY- Making Mormons look sane since 1952"

• watson
    watson

What definition of "generation" are we talking about here? Just wondering.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit