Are we living with the last generation of Scientologists?

by Gayle 12 Replies latest social current

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    Scientology just had their own "Ray Franz" moment when former executive Debbie Cook just blasted church leader David Miscavige. Only difference is that she was hard core until the very end. Miscavige is known for verbally and physically abusing fellow members. He keeps them in a trailer in the California desert called "The Hole" with very little food and with no toilet facilities. There is a substantial movement both within and outside of Scientology to dismiss Miscavige and go back to the teachings of Hubbard. While Scientology as the larger movement wont entirely flame out, it's possible that this split could send both sides into remnant organizations such as the old Bible Student ones that are still in existence today.

Thanks for posting this as I hadn't heard of her or this situation. The Paul Haggis situation last year made for some very good reading and made David Miscavige look like like a bully on criminal levels. I'm curious to see how this all plays out now since Ms.Cook has made a play.

On a side note, the WT is due for something too. Even without the insiders who occasionally post here, it's evident within the literature that there are multiple factions vying with one another for what gets disseminated to the JW population. In this day and age of multi & mass media, it would be devestating to the organization if a WT heavyweight made a play.

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Well, like the WT, Scientology is excommunicating Cook and erasing all evidence of her former membership and leadership positions. Though she still considers herself as connected to the mother organization, she'll most likely soon gravitate towards the Independent Scientologist movement. It is probable, however, that this is yet another blow to Miscavige and the only thing keeping him in charge are his celebrity proteges. After all, he was Tom Cruise's best man at his wedding to Katie Holmes. One would think that the rank and file Scientologists who have borne the brunt of this abuse will be the ones to start a new organization, while Miscavige will retain the celebrity remnant along with the money and publicity.

• thinking_1
    thinking_1

Are we living with the last generation of Scientologists?

I hope not, they're too entertaining!

But seriously I hope so. Any group that has caused that much damage needs to go down. Looks like that is very possible too.

I only wish the situation looked the same for JWs, but unfortunately I think if the org goes down it will be a much longer process.

The WTS just has their bases covered so well.

1) HQ in the US, which will let you shoot a dozen puppies every week if it's in the name of religion.

2) The maze of Corporations that make it seemingly impenatrable to a sudden financial demise due to law suits.

3) Their boring image to the outside world next to more extreme controlling groups (like $cientology for example)

If/when it does go out, I predict it will be with a whimper not a bang. More and more younger ones being more educated and exposed to the rest of the world, especially with the internet.

And look at the struggle for "brothers to take the lead". It's so obvious, especially with this and next weeks WT study. Either the growth just isn't there when it comes to "qualified" men, or those in, particularly born-in are just unwilling to take on the privilege burden.

What do you guys think? Agree/disagree with my 3 points, or see anything I missed?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit