Legendary Coach Joe Paterno died today RIP

by Iamallcool 18 Replies latest jw friends

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

JoePa faciliated child rape. It's no different than what the JW's do. Anybody defending him on this board is a hypocrite.

Football is just a game. Kids are human lives. I don't care what he did for a game. He let kids suffer.

• freydo
    freydo

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/page/Penn-State-abuse-scandal-Jerry-Sandusky-Joe-Paterno-news-updates-analysis

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/child-abuse/217981/1/WTS-meet-Penn-State-Penn-State-meet-WTS#4225542

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/220489/1/Islam-and-JW

Joe Paterno: 1926-2012

Posted by John Taylor on January 22, 2012, 10:23 AM EST

JoePa

"Sadly, the grim reports that dominated the college football news cycle beginning Saturday evening were a precursor to the inevitable but still numbing reality: a coaching legend has passed.

A family spokesperson confirmed to the Associated Press that Joseph Vincent Paterno has died at a State College hospital at the age of 85, just over two months after being diagnosed with a form of lung cancer. A posting to Penn State’s official Facebook page read simply: “With great sadness we mourn the passing of Coach Joe Paterno…Few have done more.”..........Here are but a few of the numerous statements — pay particular attention to the one released by the Ol’ Ball Coach; it’s pretty damn cool – that have been released since Paterno’s death Sunday morning......."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/22/joe-paterno-1926-2012/related/

• Diest
    Diest

I wont miss JoPa. From the best I can tell he sacrificed little boys in order to keep his organization looking clean. We all know how that works out.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

If what he said in a Washington Post interview last week is true, he was used as a scapegoat. He claimed that all McQueery told him was that he caught Sandusky in the shower with a young boy. Paterno reported it to higher ups at Penn State, which is what he was supposed to do. In the meantime, he was pissed at Sandusky for spending too much time with the charity and not with coaching.

Paterno also said that at the time he wasn't even aware that boys could be raped. This rings true to me, because my dad, who is 11 years younger, asked me several years ago about male homosexual sex. He was shocked when I told him about anal sex. It never dawned on him that men would do that to each other.

Paterno ended the interview by saying that the children were the victims in this situation, not him. He also said that he was sorry for what had happened and would've done more if he would've understood what was really going on with Sandusky.

Look, I hate child molestation cover ups just as much as the next person, maybe even moreso since it happened to me. But from what I've read, Paterno was ignorant of the facts about Sandusky and about molestation of little boys in general.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I just don't buy that a college coach (or even jamiebower's father) doesn't know what homosexuality is.

I mean, if you say that he wasn't aware that little boys could be raped, that is what is being said..

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

It's truly sad to see how other people's actions have tarnished such a great coach's career. At first I had wished they had just left Paterno out of this, but the pattern of not reporting child rape is just astonishing at all levels at Penn State. True, Paterno had done his "duty" by reporting this to his superiors, but one would think that he would not just leave it at that and be silent. We can all speculate about what we would have done in that situation. Even though Sandusky wasn't on his staff at the time, you'd think he'd have taken a personal interest in this, especially since this was coming from a former coach and could have tarnished the entire program. I doubt it was due to any deliberate malice on his part. But the possibility that he might have not wanted this to come out in order to protect the college and its football program can never be denied. I hope Sandusky rots for this, and the university higher-ups never hold a respectable job again. Paterno probably needed to go though. He probably should have done the honorable thing and resigned.

• talesin
    talesin

As a person who worked on a rape crisis line in the 1990s, I had to take intensive training in dealing with abuse victims / survivors.

Part of our training was with the RCMP (that is the national Canadian police force, the Royal Mounted Canadian Police).

One of the things that the officers and literature made very clear is this: In Canada, failure to report suspected child sexual abuse is a CRIMINAL OFFENSE, though rarely prosecuted. Confidentiality goes out the window when a minor child's safety is at risk.

http://www.johnhoward.ab.ca/docs/modules/FamilyViolence/FMVL0106-ChildAbuseReportingAndTheLaw.pdf

Quote from the PDF document:

Prosecutions for failure to report are relatively rare, and almost all Canadian cases involve
    professionals, generally health care professionals, who have the most training in identification of child
    abuse and the most education about their legal obligation to report.
    This legal duty to report is important for an educator, who may have to or want to maintain a
    relationship with the parents, to be able to emphasize that reporting suspicions of abuse is not a matter
    of choice but of legal duty.

I agree COMPLETELY with Mr. Freeze, Diest, and others.

Let's not say poor Paterno --- let's recognize this as criminal behaviour ----> for the sake of the children.

tal

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

In Pennsylvania, Paterno fulfilled his legal obligation to report this to superiors according to police. His superiors are in turn being charged for not reporting this to the police and keeping it within the college. I agree that Paterno as the head coach had a moral obligation to follow up on this and make sure it was handled correctly, and did not. I think they should just focus on the true culprits in this which is the disgusting wretch that is Jerry Sandusky and the university executives that for whatever reason thought it best not to do a thing about it. Joe Paterno deserved to lose his job for this, and it happened just that way. Now he's gone, and it's time for the living and the accused to account for this. Personally I would like to see Penn State put on NCAA probation and some of their millions directed to the victims. Oh, and Sandusky needs to get sodomized by an old broom handle, but I'd be willing to let his fellow inmates handle that one.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Listen, I'm a Michigan fan.

I guess Paterno was a little at fault................. but my instinct is that the university made him the scapegoat........... read my previous post

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit