Legendary Coach Joe Paterno died today RIP

by Iamallcool 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
  • DaCheech
    DaCheech

the shit the universities board did to him in the name of keeping their asses clean makes me puke!

They couldn't even let him coach his last game!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It is at moments like these that I wish hell was real.

• cofty
    cofty

As a Brit I never heard of Joe Paterno but he sounds like everything a coach ought to be. Its sad to read about the scandal that ended his career. It sounds as if he was let down by others who then covered their own ass. As head coach the buck stopped with him.

Avoiding and/or this sort of crisis is like the sword of Damocles that hangs over every sports coach who works with youths. I have been coaching 16 years and so far so good.

Good to hear he had great support from his family.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I know that "We" never get the true story. I know that he is not charged with anything other than keeping silent to things going on around him. I am sad to hear of his passing. I don't know what he really knew and what he really could have done. It does sound like winning football games was more important than anything to the people around him. So I hope they can help boys avoid pedophiles now ahead of winning football games.

I think protesting his dismissal and "the last football game" missed the point when the news about child-rape broke. Many things are more important than winning football games.

• cofty
    cofty

If it was a case of child-rape and if he knew about it its difficult to understand how he could compartmentalise that from his wider job as a coach. Personally I would want to be kept informed minute by minute about how it was being dealt with. The safety of the youths in your care is ultimately more important that athletic success. An incident like this could also destroy a team so I would also have selfish reasons to make sure it was handled propery.

Perhaps he was naive and had too much trust in adminstrators in his organisation?

• TheWanderer
    TheWanderer

EDIT: I was confused because I saw the bit mentioned below about 'getitng it wrong', not realizing that this morning, he did in fact pass away.

For me, the shame is that people wrongly blamed him for the Penn State issues, which kind of unjustly tarnished his legacy a bit.

• cofty
    cofty

What a shambles. It appears that Onward State got it wrong and other large news organisations picked it up without checking their sources.

However it seems he has now indeed passed away.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Perhaps he was naive and had too much trust in adminstrators in his organisation?

Yes. Perhaps. I hope that since he passed away, they don't soil his name by putting more blame on him and escaping responsibility for others.

My point is that protesting was silly. This wasn't about winning football games and records. When "it" hit the fan, he recognized that.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

No one here knows how involved Paterno was. There will be commissions and hearings. We will know more then but we will never know the simple truth. It happened on his watch. Pedophilia is too heinous a crime not to have a duty to report and follw up. So they kept quiet for the good of Penn State. Penn State football and Penn State itself will take decades to recover from this situation.

Paterno was not a simple high phys ed teacher coaching football. He was one of the biggest players, brining in many millions to the school. I am certain that he wishes he took more active steps.

I read differing accounts almost everyday in the NYT. He made the Ivy League look better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit