Has anyone here done a long distance hike?

by moshe 34 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

MOSHE- There are some beautiful hikes out here in California. The Pacific crest trail runs North to South across the Sierra mountains for miles. As a young man in my 20's and 30's I hiked a lot in Kings Canyon national park in the backcountry . It's in the Southern or Central Sierra. In 1977 after graduating high school I had enough time off work - a week - and me and a buddy hiked 35 - 40 miles on a loop trip covering about 7 to 8 miles a day. So we never had to backtrack, saw new country every day until circling back to our car. Beautiful lakes, high mountain passes ( about 12,000 ft. elevation ) , awesome waist high green meadows , rivers, and abundant wildlife.

In the last 20 years until present I hike with my wife and adult son in the Northern Sierra mountains . Have hiked all over the Desolation Wilderness just West of Lake Tahoe and also in Tahoe National forest north of Interstate 80 which runs from Sacramento to Reno. One of my son and my favorite rivers to hike is the Feather river area in the North state as it has beautiful remote canyons which not many people go to. Lots of beautiful country out here in California Moshe- you should visit sometime ! Or fly out here with JRK from Indy to the July 4th Apostafests ! Have fun on your hikes ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Mr. Flipper - Have you ever done the Five Lakes hike between Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley? My wife and I did it last August. I couldn't believe there was still snow in August!!! We only found three of the lakes though!

00DAD

• flipper
    flipper

00DAD- Never have done the Five lakes hike between Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley . The nearest I've hiked there is in the Picayune Wilderness area just west of where you are talking about in the backcountry of the Sierra there . I hiked it in September of 2006 with Mrs. Flipper and her brother for a couple days. Very beautiful remote country ! I'll have to try that hike you mention sometime ! Sounds beautiful

• designs
    designs

John Muir Trail, Yosemite; Big and Little Piney, Vail Colorado.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Mr. Flipper - did you get the pic I texted you?

• karter
    karter

Moshe,

I live in New Zealand and we have some wounderfull hikeing tracks.

I do atleast 1, 3-4 day hike per year.

There are lots of hikes all over my country.

Karter.

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

1. Get in excellent cardiovascular shape.

2. Carry lightweight gear.

Over the years I've slowly replaced my heavy backpacking gear piece by piece with lightweight gear and it makes a huge difference. Try backpackinglight.com for some great info. They have a busy forum with very helpful members. They also have a "gear swap" forum where you can find incredible deals on backpacking gear.

• moshe
    moshe

Thanks for all the tips, books, websites- I wish we had some pictures of these wilderness treks

I am out of town so I don't have access to my pictures- I did a 6 hour hike through the jungle of Leyte, Philippines in 1998. My destination was a home village of two girls I met in Cebu. I had no clue how to get out, we just followed what looked like a water buffalo track- sometimes there was no trail.

The village had no electricity or running water and the oldest woman in the village said I was the first American to visit them since WW2 when MacArthur landed.

• EXMS
    EXMS

I'm from the West Coast, so I have yet to do the Appalachian Trail. However, I have done parts of the Pacific Crest Trail. It's unbelievably amazing. I have hiked all of Oregon a small portion of Washington, and all of the Southern California part (from San Gabriel Mountains to Border). Highly recommend.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Elevation gains and descents (the descents are what kill you) are the key to how much your knees can take.

I'm gonna find a quote about a restorative trip and get back to you.

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit