Has anyone here done a long distance hike?

by moshe 34 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

God damn, I need a piss, here I go.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

My church as a teenager took us on the "John Muir" trail in the Sierra Mountain range in California. The group was able to push on for one hundred and fifty miles of it, what information are you looking for Moshe? How often do you exercise, do you ride a bike or swim or run?

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
  • JeffT
    JeffT

I've done some pretty good hikes in the day. A couple of times as a kid we spent ten days for so hiking/canoeing through a wilderness area in Ontario. Not a hostel or hot shower in sight for the whole trip. I've done several two-three day hikes in Washington state (Cascades and Olympics).

Advice: get in shape. Practice packing and living off what you pack. You'll learn to cut every bit of weight you can. There's a reason experienced hikers cut the handles down on their tooth brushes. Get a seriously good pair of boots and where them everywhere. When they wear out get another pair. Go to a real hiking outfitter and get custom fitted boots and make sure you've worn them a lot before you go out on the serious trip. Read a book called "How to Shit in the Woods." Clever title and a ton of useful information.

Start spending time in the library researching trails. Learn to read a map; a wilderness map not the AAA travel guide. There won't be street signs where you're going. Also learn to read a compass and triangulate your position. If its legal where your planning on going buy a gun and learn to use it. Lean how to sharpen your knife.

Give me some time, I'll think of more.

• moshe
    moshe

good ideas JeffT and Glander- I have a friend who went to Machu Picchu in Peru- altitude and his knees almost did him in- besides not being in shape, but he made it-

Here he is on the hike up-

• Wayward Son
    Wayward Son

Long distance, as in for days and days? No.

But a buddy of mine and I hiked down the southern Kiabab trail of the grand canyon one time. Started out at 6:30a.m. with the intention of camping at the bottom and hiking back up the next day. We got down there, set up out little tent and the ranger came by asking us for our camping permit. We didn't know we were supposed to have one but we knew there was a ranger station nearby at the bottom.

"Can we get a permit over there?"

"No."

"Where can we get one?"

The guy just pointed up into the sky.

Oh, LAWD! It's a good thing I was only 14 and the buddy of mine was 19 or there would have been no way. We hiked back up the canyon, getting to the car around 11:30 that night. We drove an hour or so to find a hotel and died. The next morning, the pain... oh the pain. Everywhere! I hurt in places I didn't know I had.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Some of the walkers in England just carry a toothbrush- it is possible to walk from hostel to hostel in some places; like Shropshire-only 10-15 km between them- at least that's the way it used to be....

• 00DAD
    00DAD

moshe: I want a trail that has a hostel every 10 miles with hot showers and- WiFi would be nice.

Last summer my wife and I went camping in Big Sur, California. For those that have been there you know what a beautiful spot it is along the California coast. To give you an idea of how remote it is, there is NO cell phone service, none! We love to go to more isolated places to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and commune with nature.

Anyways, at a campsite a few over from ours there was this family that had a huge motorhome. The dad puts up this HUGE screen and projects Finding Nemo for his kids to watch. So much for "getting away from it all!"

Back to the point of the tread, we have done a few really beautiful hikes in Big Sur over the years. One year we did a hike that took us from sea level to about 3,000 feet. We passed through six or seven micro-climates. At the top we were about 1,000 feet ABOVE the clouds. Looking down on the scenery was like looking from an airplane. It was vertigo inducing! Really took our breath away. The round trip was probably about a 3 hour hike.

Good times, good times!

• lrkr
    lrkr

Ive done a 10 mile loop in the Catskills on Wittenburg, Cornell and Slide peaks- took us 2 days- camped in the saddle between Cornell and Slide. Also did a 10 mile loop in the Adirondacks- Wolfs Jaw, Gothic, and one other peak I cant remember the name of.

Great fun! Never thought I'd be able to do something like that. My kid being in Boy scouts has introduced me to some great mountaineering experiences.

• moshe
    moshe

I would like to hike in NE Utah to check out the fossils and in 3 months I can get my national parks senior pass. Twenty years ago I picked up a backpack hitchhiker on US36 in Indiana. He said he started out on US1 and was going down the numbers. He said Kansas was very bad in the summer- hot, windy, no shade and no rides.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit