Atheism 2.0

by Qcmbr 384 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Michelle---this is a problem. When a person brings up points--valid points---regarding morality and "sin"---the next thing we know we are talking child brides and pedophilia or whatever. OK---since this is the kneejerk reaction---allow me to more fully explain myself.

There are bands of people who not only believe in premarital sex and multiple partners, they are encouraged because in their view they honor life. They are not acting immorally, because for their society nothing they are doing is shocking, or wrong, or unaccepted. Along comes Christian missionaries---OMG these people are IMMORAL---they are SINNERS----they don't know any better. Horrible people. Let's subjugate them, they can't make their own decisions. Let's make them feel shame---let's make them feel like they are less----let's convince them they are so dirty they need a savior----let's tell them they will be punished.

And for what? For honoring life and reproduction in the way that makes sense to THEM. Minding their own business. Involved in their own culture. Until a superior minded group following the teachings in a bronze aged book showed up to call them sinners.

How far does this go? For me---it stops when people get hurt. It stops when self-determination is stolen from others. It would stop at child brides. It would stop at violence. Respecting someone's culture does not mean condoning bloodshed. Not that Christians were ever guilty of such a thing. Not that they ever decimated Muslim populations. We gotta watch out for those muslims----Christians would never do the kind of harm they do.

The Christian agenda is worrisome to me, as is the Muslim agenda----things tend to get very bloody and oppressive when god is given free reign. However I am able to let people live according to their culture (without judging) as long as the above criteria is met: No one gets hurt---everyone has self-determination. I have to say, the religious activists in this country and others are not so content to just leave people be.

NC

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Maybe what we need are beautiful atheist meeting places, atheist charity events, atheist coffee mornings , atheist lectures on science. logic, art and beauty, atheist music and song..

Alain de Botton plans temples
    for atheists

Dezeen Wire: writer Alain de Botton has announced plans to build a series of temples for atheists in the UK. The first will be a 46 metre-tall black tower designed by Tom Greenall Architects and constructed in London to represent the idea of perspective.

The move follows the publication of de Botton’s latest book, Religion for Atheists, and his Living Architecture social enterprise to construct holiday homes by the likes of MVRDV, Peter Zumthor and NORD Architecture.

Here are some more details from Alain de Botton:

Alain de Botton – A Temple for Atheists

Author Alain de Botton has announced a bold new plan for a series of Temples for Atheists to be built around the UK.

‘Why should religious people have the most beautiful buildings in the land?’ he asks. ‘It’s time atheists had their own versions of the great churches and cathedrals’.

Alain de Botton has laid out his plans in a new book, Religion for Atheists, which argues that atheists should copy the major religions and put up a network of new architectural masterpieces in the form of temples.

‘As religions have always known, a beautiful building is an indispensable part of getting your message across. Books alone won’t do it.’

De Botton argues that you definitely don’t need a god or gods to justify a temple. ‘You can build a temple to anything that’s positive and good. That could mean: a temple to love, friendship, calm or perspective.’

De Botton has begun working on the first Temple for Atheists. Designed by Tom Greenall Architects, this will be a huge black tower nestled among the office buildings in the City of London. Measuring 46 meters in all, the tower represents the age of the earth, with each centimetre equating to 1 million years and with, at the tower’s base, a tiny band of gold a mere millimetre thick standing for mankind’s time on earth. The Temple is dedicated to the idea of perspective, which is something we’re prone to lose in the midst of our busy modern lives.

De Botton suggests that atheists like Richard Dawkins won’t ever convince people that atheism is an attractive way of looking at life until they provide them with the sort of rituals, buildings, communities and works of art and architecture that religions have always used.

‘Even the most convinced atheists tend to speak nicely about religious buildings. They may even feel sad that nothing like them gets built nowadays. But there’s no need to feel nostalgic. Why not just learn from religions and build similarly beautiful and interesting things right now?’

http://www.dezeen.com/2012/01/25/alain-de-botton-plans-temples-for-atheists/

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

How stupid

• Twitch
    Twitch

Where do I make my donation?

If I had my druthers, it'd be marble sculpture of the good lord surrounded by cats

lol

• cofty
    cofty
    De Botton suggests that atheists like Richard Dawkins won’t ever convince people that atheism is an attractive way of looking at life until they provide them with the sort of rituals, buildings, communities and works of art and architecture that religions have always used.

Alain de Botton has lost the plot.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Not certain - I really love good architecture and I'd certainly be interested in having a look at these so called temples. Atheists without organisation will always have a weaker voice than a similar sized group who channel their efforts through a central body. If I want schools to stop religious practices in schools and to stop allowing faith schools to exist then a single letter to my MP won't be as effective as a petition signed by hundreds of thousands. Just a thought.

• Terry
    Terry

For thousands of years humans lived together intimately without bottled mouthwash, toothpaste, underarm deoderant or dipilatory creams.

Then, some smart merchandizer started advertising an incessant message: YOUR BREATH STINKS, YOUR TEETH AREN'T WHITE, YOU'RE PITS ARE ODIOUS, and HEY LADY, YOU'VE GOT A MOUSTACHE ON YOUR LIP!

Suddenly made self-conscious by these accusations the world scrambled to stock their bathroom cabinets with billions of dollars worth of the products!

Religion has done exactly the same thing in order to sell their products.

Create a FEAR and establish a perceived NEED and then offer carefully packaged SOLUTIONs for $$$.

Some Carnival barkers are always screaming at us, "Step right up, Hurry, Hurry, Hurry! It is a fearful thing for you sinners to fall into the hands of an angry God!"

They give you RITUALS to keep you busy while they constantly SHAME you.

Then, like an abusive husband who's been beating his wife all weekend---they get all LOVE, FORGIVENESS, PROMISES and CONSOLATION on you.

The Classic Catholic and Protestant church had this down to a fine science keeping their members off-balance, cowed and malleable.

As TEC has rightly pointed out, all this abuse has caused enterprising COMPETITION from those willing to scrap the classic message and REINVENT Christianity by turning their ministry into a HOSPITAL for sinners rather than a MUSEUM for SAINTS.

Since everybody just makes all this stuff up anyway......what difference does it make who teaches what or why???

People seem to CRAVE the fellowship of others who embrace some tailor-fitted garment of HOPE in a chaotic world.

Why not?

I say, good on them......just don't expect me to actually believe any of it is anything other than a palliative.

There's a huge throng of suffering humanity who keep God next to their bed in a drawer with batteries and plenty of holy vibrations!

• tec
    tec

and to stop allowing faith schools to exist

Better make sure you stop allowing people to homeschool their children too. Then teaching them on the weekends in church; and eventually you might be able to outlaw teaching faith altogether.

Peace,

Tammy

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I don't agree with homeschooling as a rule anyway - I think sociality is reduced from home schooling.

I would love to pass a law protecting children from being subject to church discipline and church membership until the age of 16. As a sociey we control when people make covenants such as marriage but we allow people to be inculcated and forced to join religions (and some have very onerous disfellowshipping consequences) when they are innocents. It is not the right of a parent to force religion upon a child but oddly most parents think it is.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    I don't agree with homeschooling as a rule anyway - I think sociality is reduced from home schooling.

Not necessarily. There are home school groups where there are multiple children. Class is held at a different home each day of the week. I've attended a home school class on law and civics last year held by a constitutional scholar that recently won a major case before the U.S. Supreme Court. The children showed a high level of awareness in the question and answer session.

The home schooled children I have met from a local group are far better educated than the average in my public school system. One of them is now studying biotech at university and has stellar grades.

Your suggestions regarding church attendance etc violate the rights of parents to raise their children as they see fit. It is not your right to force parents to teach or not teach religious values.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit